Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Basically, it's just what it says in the title. I live in Brighton, am disabled, and want to learn how to use softsynths to write New Age music (checkout Aeoliah, Mike Rowland, Kitaro (but mainly the other 2!)) on YouTUbe to hear the kind of noises I want to hear coming out of my speakers.

Thing IS - no way can I afford a Uni course, either in time (they stretch out everything over YEARS) or in money. So I was wondering if a nice, friendly music prod. student would feel like giving a couple of (paid) lessons or so to help me understand how to use the darned things properly?

Basically what I wanted to do was de-construct a few tracks to learn what's going on and how to put mine together, as close as possible with the (admittedly not TOTALLY brilliant) software I've got. Please PM me.

Yours hopefully, Chris
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    Thanks Puddles!

Forgot to put I can pay up to about £20 an hour, a little more if pushed. I understand what most of the effects - EQ etc DO, it's just how to use 'em properly to solve the problems you hit when mixing anything. Once I understand when to use what where, I should be OK (right now I feel like I'm using a hammer to bang in a screw!)

Yours respectfully

Chris.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by ulrichburke)
    Thanks Puddles!

Forgot to put I can pay up to about £20 an hour, a little more if pushed. I understand what most of the effects - EQ etc DO, it's just how to use 'em properly to solve the problems you hit when mixing anything. Once I understand when to use what where, I should be OK (right now I feel like I'm using a hammer to bang in a screw!)

Yours respectfully

Chris.
    What software are you using? And what kinds of problems are you having with mixing? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    What software are you using? And what kinds of problems are you having with mixing? :beard:
    Dear Puddles.

I use a lovely notation program called Quick Score Elite Level 3 to do everything, I find it the easiest one to use with my disabilities.

OK. To encapsulate. I'm trying to get the hang of synth-based New Age music, which is basically slowed down euphoric trance with the beats missing. In other words, all the production techniques used to create EDM - sourcing sounds, layering, etc - I'd love to be shown how to do properly. Also I know what EQ, Panning, Compression etc. DO, it's when to use what where and why. I've got a feeling I'm using hammers when I should be using a screwdriver, if you follow the analogy. And a third problem I have is making sounds sit BEHIND sounds, so you've got lead instrument clearly in FRONT of beautiful pad, not tangled up WITH beautiful pad. People say that's Reverb but I've listened to many N ew Age pieces that have flute, say, in front of pad sounds and nothing SOUNDS that reverby, so there's gotta be other things going on as well.

And despite watching video after video, I can't get it right. So I need a human being to tell me what it is I'm doing wrong, walk me through putting a few tracks together properly, t hen pat me figuratively on the head and send me on my way rejoicing! You can't ask a video questions and the most ANNOYING thing is the guy saying 'Now your piece should be sounding like this....' and you're going 'IS IT BLEEP!!' and you've got totally NO idea where you haven't followed him correctly.

Problem with the local teachers I found was firstly neither could read music (as I use notation, not a good start!) and secondly both were more used to mixing live instrument tracks, not VST/Soundfont created tracks. They didn't know what I should go for to get better sounds, they didn't know how to layer sounds and the one I've got currently, bless him, who goes to Uni, is utterly hopeless at anything to do with synths. Live instruments, fine, synths, he hasn't a clue. Neither do I, really. We're both in the same boat.

Surely in a whole big Uni there's SOMEONE who does EDM and understands synthy sounds, how to put them together, etc. I know New Age ISN'T EDM but as it's synths it's the same TECHNIQUES, and THAT'S what I need to learn. Techniques of doiing things. When to use which effect where and why, so I know what I'm doing and not just twiddling knobs in the dark! (I'm solid VSTs, not a real synth in sight, but even with VSTs it's the same techniques.)

Yours hopefully

Chris.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I might be able to help out. I'm a music tech student at A-Level and I've had a lot of experience with VST soft synths and a decent understanding of mixing techniques.
    What soft synths are you using?

Matthew

University open days

• University of Brighton
    Brighton Falmer campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Brighton
    Brighton Grand Parade campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
  • University of Brighton
    Brighton Moulsecoomb campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 3 Nov '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.