Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much work experience needed for medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have worked in a care home , had one week shadowing a surgeon and attended At surgical conference? Is this enough if I write about how this has confirmed medicine is for me etc
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's not about how much, it's about how often like if you went and worked in a nursing home every day for 2 weeks it doesn't really say much about how committed you are. Medical schools look for commitment. So, If you went to the nursing home 3 times every two weeks for a longer period of time you would fare better as it shows you are committed to it and therefore reflects that you will be committed to learning medicine. To answer your question: get as much as you can just be sure to spread it out.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm applying for medicine this year (2018 entry)

Is the care home a long term placement (i.e. somewhere you've done weekly volunteering for a long time)??
    If so then I'd say that's plenty, just make sure to focus on what you've learned from these experiences when writing your PS. Of course your statement will have to touch on other things as well, such as hobbies, wider reading etc. but that will depend on where you're applying.

Hope that helps!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi in my opinion medicine field requires more practical experience rather than theoretical knowledge and you should have deep concentration and commitment on work. However, from my own experience I found that it's not the quantity of work experience that's important, but what you learn and gain from the work experience.

Work experience is also important in enabling you to develop the relevant skills and qualities that are essential to becoming a good doctor, few examples are listed below

Ability to overcome problems
    Ability to work independently
    A sense of responsibility
    A sense of service to the community
    Communication skills
    Enthusiasm
    Experience of working with diverse groups
    Determination

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.