Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A questions like this was asked a long time ago (2009) so I thought I'd ask it again to get some contemporary answers.

What are the good and the bad points of Sheffield university/Sheffield as a city? I'll be studying Journalism if I get the grades (ABB) so if you know anything about that, too, that'd be great!

I'd prefer the good points THEN bad if that's okay.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Good points:
    Fantastic nightlife, especially given the size of the city
    A ridiculously high number of societies to get involved with, most of which are very welcoming to newcomers
    Good opportunities to get involved in the life of the city outside of the uni e.g. via Sheffield Volunteering, or sports
    But at the same time a lot of the city is very student oriented, meaning you will always have that belonging feeling
    Pretty much everything is within walking distance, or at worst a short bus ride
    Plenty of great food places, especially if you're into authentic Chinese cuisine

Bad points:
    If you're used to living somewhere like London, it will feel small and quiet
    Perhaps more expensive than you would expect (that's not to say it is expensive however, just that the UoS/City area is relatively expensive compared to other Northern cities or even other parts of Sheffield, such as around Hallam)
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.