The Student Room Group

What kind of Universities/Courses are available in Extra?

Hi :smile: I'm thinking about using UCAS Extra and I'm a bit confused.

I've applied for Japanese and am thinking about changing to economics. If I use extra, will there be places on courses at top unis like Warwick, UCL, LSE, etc?

If I use Extra, will these places gradually be removed from Extra as they are taken up?

Is there any way to see what courses are available on Extra without having already rejected all your original offers (i.e. just out of curiosity)?

Any help/advice would be extremely helpful :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by squishysquash
Hi :smile: I'm thinking about using UCAS Extra and I'm a bit confused.

I've applied for Japanese and am thinking about changing to economics. If I use extra, will there be places on courses at top unis like Warwick, UCL, LSE, etc?

If I use Extra, will these places gradually be removed from Extra as they are taken up?

Is there any way to see what courses are available on Extra without having already rejected all your original offers (i.e. just out of curiosity)?

Any help/advice would be extremely helpful :smile:

You can see what is showing as available in Extra by performing a UCAS course search. Once Extra opens, there will be a box to tick that shows courses in Extra only. So you don't need to reject your offers to do the search. You should be aware that the results aren't always up to date, so it's best to email or phone the uni to check that they definitely still have spaces.

Places are gradually removed from Extra, but the uni has to get around to telling UCAS and then UCAS have to update it. So this process can take a while. If the uni is really busy with other things they may not tell UCAS straight away. It's very common for unis to show in Extra in the first few days when they actually aren't - the admissions tutor just missed the deadline for telling UCAS.

LSE does not participate in Extra (or Clearing or Adjsutment) for any courses. UCL doesn't usually participate in Extra, but some courses may have spaces. For most other unis, it's possible the course will be in Extra but it's impossible to predict as it depends how many good applicants they've had.
Unfortunately Economics is a very popular course at the moment and you are unlikely to find too many places in Extra or Clearing.

As Juno says, the UCAS course list isn't always up to date, so if you see a course that looks interesting before to email or phone the university to check that it actually is open before rejecting your other offers.
Original post by Juno
You can see what is showing as available in Extra by performing a UCAS course search. Once Extra opens, there will be a box to tick that shows courses in Extra only. So you don't need to reject your offers to do the search. You should be aware that the results aren't always up to date, so it's best to email or phone the uni to check that they definitely still have spaces.

Places are gradually removed from Extra, but the uni has to get around to telling UCAS and then UCAS have to update it. So this process can take a while. If the uni is really busy with other things they may not tell UCAS straight away. It's very common for unis to show in Extra in the first few days when they actually aren't - the admissions tutor just missed the deadline for telling UCAS.

LSE does not participate in Extra (or Clearing or Adjsutment) for any courses. UCL doesn't usually participate in Extra, but some courses may have spaces. For most other unis, it's possible the course will be in Extra but it's impossible to predict as it depends how many good applicants they've had.

Thanks for responding :smile: Is there any way in which I can find out which universities participate in Extra?
Anyone know if Warwick participates in Extra?
Reply 5

They have been but it won’t be for popular courses like straight economics. You might be lucky to get something like Economics with philosphy
Reply 6

Best way to find out it to drop an email to admissions! I emailed three uni’s and they got back to me within 3 days to say so far they had spaces and to email closer to the time when they will know for sure if they have spaces up for extra. Worth asking if you need a new personal statement since the course you’re applying to is so different.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending