Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm thinking about using UCAS Extra and I'm a bit confused.

I've applied for Japanese and am thinking about changing to economics. If I use extra, will there be places on courses at top unis like Warwick, UCL, LSE, etc?

If I use Extra, will these places gradually be removed from Extra as they are taken up?

Is there any way to see what courses are available on Extra without having already rejected all your original offers (i.e. just out of curiosity)?

Any help/advice would be extremely helpful
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by squishysquash)
    Hi I'm thinking about using UCAS Extra and I'm a bit confused.

I've applied for Japanese and am thinking about changing to economics. If I use extra, will there be places on courses at top unis like Warwick, UCL, LSE, etc?

If I use Extra, will these places gradually be removed from Extra as they are taken up?

Is there any way to see what courses are available on Extra without having already rejected all your original offers (i.e. just out of curiosity)?

Any help/advice would be extremely helpful
    You can see what is showing as available in Extra by performing a UCAS course search. Once Extra opens, there will be a box to tick that shows courses in Extra only. So you don't need to reject your offers to do the search. You should be aware that the results aren't always up to date, so it's best to email or phone the uni to check that they definitely still have spaces.

Places are gradually removed from Extra, but the uni has to get around to telling UCAS and then UCAS have to update it. So this process can take a while. If the uni is really busy with other things they may not tell UCAS straight away. It's very common for unis to show in Extra in the first few days when they actually aren't - the admissions tutor just missed the deadline for telling UCAS.

LSE does not participate in Extra (or Clearing or Adjsutment) for any courses. UCL doesn't usually participate in Extra, but some courses may have spaces. For most other unis, it's possible the course will be in Extra but it's impossible to predict as it depends how many good applicants they've had.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately Economics is a very popular course at the moment and you are unlikely to find too many places in Extra or Clearing.

As Juno says, the UCAS course list isn't always up to date, so if you see a course that looks interesting before to email or phone the university to check that it actually is open before rejecting your other offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You can see what is showing as available in Extra by performing a UCAS course search. Once Extra opens, there will be a box to tick that shows courses in Extra only. So you don't need to reject your offers to do the search. You should be aware that the results aren't always up to date, so it's best to email or phone the uni to check that they definitely still have spaces.

Places are gradually removed from Extra, but the uni has to get around to telling UCAS and then UCAS have to update it. So this process can take a while. If the uni is really busy with other things they may not tell UCAS straight away. It's very common for unis to show in Extra in the first few days when they actually aren't - the admissions tutor just missed the deadline for telling UCAS.

LSE does not participate in Extra (or Clearing or Adjsutment) for any courses. UCL doesn't usually participate in Extra, but some courses may have spaces. For most other unis, it's possible the course will be in Extra but it's impossible to predict as it depends how many good applicants they've had.
    Thanks for responding Is there any way in which I can find out which universities participate in Extra?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Warwick participates in Extra?

ReputationRep:
    They have been but it won’t be for popular courses like straight economics. You might be lucky to get something like Economics with philosphy

ReputationRep:
    Best way to find out it to drop an email to admissions! I emailed three uni’s and they got back to me within 3 days to say so far they had spaces and to email closer to the time when they will know for sure if they have spaces up for extra. Worth asking if you need a new personal statement since the course you’re applying to is so different.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.