Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was just wondering what people's views are on the atmosphere in sixth form/college. I was quite exited to come to sixth form to leave all the immaturity and gossiping of secondary school behind but as I near the end of my final year I realise that most things are the same. People can still be very rude and unkind towards each other. I'm just curious as to if your college or sixth form experience was/is similar?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by elmiller)
    Hello!

I was just wondering what people's views are on the atmosphere in sixth form/college. I was quite exited to come to sixth form to leave all the immaturity and gossiping of secondary school behind but as I near the end of my final year I realise that most things are the same. People can still be very rude and unkind towards each other. I'm just curious as to if your college or sixth form experience was/is similar?
    Its going to vary, so your experience may eb different from everyone elses. Is it the same or a new school.

You should have more independence and a different relationship with teachers. You are also expected to work harder and be more responsible. The people are the same , except you have more serious students as opposed to the ones who wanted to get away via apprenticeship. You may or may not make good friends. Be aware its only really 18 months, so work hard from the start as that will leave you less to do later. If you make friends great, but if not dont worry. Your exams are more important.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a tetiary college which teaches both A Levels and BTEC, including entry level and access courses so you get a good variety of characters that you come across.

I think first year was more like high school than second year, especially the September-December period where getting grades isnt on most people's minds and making friends is. But as the year went on people became more friendlier and more like adults. It isn't a sharp transition, but people mature as stress builds up.

ReputationRep:
    The sixth from I’m at is awful. Recently the school I’m currently studying was taken over by Outwood, who are very totalitarian and their culture is completely different in comparison to the old school. The school was separated by two sites, years 7,8, and 9 at the lower site and years 10,11 and sixth from at upper. This was better as the maturity in age levels were separate, yes, the year 10s and 11s were immature but the sixth from felt more like a sixth from and the students were respected. Now however the lower site has been closed and all years are at the upper site. This is a logistical nightmare. The school is not built to house this many people. The sixth from is now full of students who have been rejected from other sixth forms and the attitude levels are appalling. The study room, and I use the term loosely, is at maximum capacity, people who are trying to studying are outnumbered 3:1 by those who insist on messing about. The sixth form teachers respect the students who are willing to try and who want to be there but respect is a two-way system and some students do not understand the concept of it. There are no free study rooms to avoid the noise and disturbances, the library is the only option but some classes are in there usually and it has been closed during mocks as some exams are taken in there. Overall its appalling and not suitable as a sixth form.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.