Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thread to share tips/advice/info about applying to and interviewing for the Inns of Court GDL Scholarships.

Does anyone know what form the interviews take/how bad the grilling is (specific to Inner as that's where I'm applying but any advice is good)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdlbarrister)
    Thread to share tips/advice/info about applying to and interviewing for the Inns of Court GDL Scholarships.

Does anyone know what form the interviews take/how bad the grilling is (specific to Inner as that's where I'm applying but any advice is good)?
    I applied for a GDL scholarship from Inner last year. I didn't get one, but my CV was poor at the time and I mainly went for the practise as they interview everybody.

It was very short, about a 10 min interview. First they asked about my old degree and why I went to the uni that I did. Then I was asked the dreaded, "why do you want to be a barrister?" question. They also asked why I wanted to convert to law.

Then they asked me to talk for 60 seconds and convince them why they should learn Japanese (which was on my CV). They also asked me to talk about something law related in the news (I stumbled on that one and rambled about Grenfell).

Finally, they ran through my financial info. They just wanted to check it was still correct. So overall, not bad at all! The worst part was that none of the 4 interviewers smiled or nodded or anything throughout. It was like talking to a grumpy brick wall!

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.