Turn on thread page Beta

Should depression count as a disability? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    Ehh can you class back pain as a 'disability'? It depends on how severe it is.
    I know it's often impossible to prove and yet can lead to a nice fat cheque every month. There's lots of physical disabilities that can be faked.

ReputationRep:
    It’s not that easy to fake a mental illness 😡😡. Firstly to claim benefits you would have to have been faking well enough for a long period of time to convince mental health professionals in order to get the support for your claims.

There are also very visible changes to someone who is suffering from mental illness. You can’t fake those without serious skill in make up department AND also be a good actor.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    The thing is its easy to lie about having mental disabilities but you can't lie about having physical disabilities.
    There are loads of physical disabilities you can fake easily too. And actually it's often pretty difficult to get yourself into the mindset of a properly mentally unwell person (especially considering a diagnosis is necessary from somebody very used to dealing with mentally unwell people).
    I've had/ have both physical and mental health issues and if I had to choose one to fake it would be physical.

Besides, just cos something can be faked it doesn't mean people who genuinely suffer with it shouldn't get support. People can and do fake rape, but we should still take it seriously when people claim they have been raped because it's a real issue too and one that has a huge impact on people.

It is a complication, but that's something that will always happen when you try to support those who need it. You just need to work on ways of screening out the fakers and accept that some will slip through the net, but it's worth it to help those who need it.

And just for the record chronic pains (including back pain) would be treated as a disability if it posed a challenge to everyday activities like putting clothes in the wash or sitting at a desk to work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    It’s not that easy to fake a mental illness 😡😡. Firstly to claim benefits you would have to have been faking well enough for a long period of time to convince mental health professionals in order to get the support for your claims.

There are also very visible changes to someone who is suffering from mental illness. You can’t fake those without serious skill in make up department AND also be a good actor.
    Completely agreed - which is why it wouldn't affect the genuine people who could be classified as disabled due to their sincere mental illness....

(Original post by Lejax)
    I understand your point but anything that’s curable shouldn’t be classed as a disability in my mind

Sure they should still be treated well but there’s a difference between helping and treating in comparison to classifying it as a disability

Are you saying someone who has a temporary case of depression due to family death should be called disabled have special treatment all their life even when they are not depressed

The answer is no they are mentally ill with depression but much like any curable serious illness it should be cured and prevented from happening again no more than that same with everyone perhaps people whom are at high risk of depression should have measures in place but that isn’t a disability

Your losing sight of its meaning a disability is something you live with depression is curable unless it’s clinical or chemical

And if depression was classified as a disability disability would lose meaning as nearly everyone suffers from depression once in their life

Your saying you are low and it never goes away that’s mental illness and as I said if it’s proven in curable then yes it’s a disability but I won’t accept the plain ******** of everything being classed as a disability

And the level of effect should matter too if your mildly low all your life that could just aswell be your personality there are plenty of pessimistic or nihilistic individuals whom have volatile personalities these are likely to suffer from depression do to lack of a goal or purpose and druggies whom also suffer from depression and such to give such a loose term as depression the classification of disability is to say many un warranted individuals be treat specially because of their mentality

people can also be cleared of cancer does that make it not a disability?

ReputationRep:
    How are you doing? I have found the following information (for UK):

A mental health condition is considered a disability if it has a long-term effect on your normal day-to-day activity. This is defined under the Equality Act 2010.
    Your condition is ‘long term’ if it lasts, or is likely to last, 12 months.
    ‘Normal day-to-day activity’ is defined as something you do regularly in a normal day. This includes things like using a computer, working set times or interacting with people.

If your mental health condition means you are disabled you can get support at work from your employer.

There are many different types of mental health condition which can lead to a disability, including:
    • dementia
    • depression
    • bipolar disorder
    • obsessive compulsive disorder
    • schizophrenia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margusha)
    If your mental health condition means you are disabled you can get support at work from your employer.
    Thank you for the link! Do you still get paid for hours at work missed due to mental disability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    people can also be cleared of cancer does that make it not a disability?
    Cancer isn't curable nor properly clearable as it can come back and often the treatment leaves further damage it is very much a disability

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. How do you even decide whether someone's depressed or just a generally downbeat person? It has been suggested before that I myself am the former, but I have always considered my demeanour to be the cumulative effect of my life experiences, not the symptom of any illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    On the other hand remember at the peak of my depression being refused a councelling session at university as this girl who just left home and was upset she broke up with her first boyfriend felt the world was ending, they gave my 1 hour slot to her and yet I had a family member murdered! Imagine how much worse that makes you feel witht he reasoning as I wasn't burst out in tears I was coping.
    I don't want to accuse you of lying or anything but I can't see a legitimate counselling service a) giving your appointment away without you cancelling it and b) telling you the reason that another patient is using the service

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    I don't know. How do you even decide whether someone's depressed or just a generally downbeat person? It has been suggested before that I myself am the former, but I have always considered my demeanour to be the cumulative effect of my life experiences, not the symptom of any illness.
    By being a psychiatrist or other qualified professional that has the ability and knowledge to diagnose people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    Idk tbh but I think if you tell someone that there's something wrong with you for over a long period of time, and explain the symptoms of depression, then I guess you get diagnosed for it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lejax)
    I understand your point but anything that’s curable shouldn’t be classed as a disability in my mind

Sure they should still be treated well but there’s a difference between helping and treating in comparison to classifying it as a disability

Are you saying someone who has a temporary case of depression due to family death should be called disabled have special treatment all their life even when they are not depressed

The answer is no they are mentally ill with depression but much like any curable serious illness it should be cured and prevented from happening again no more than that same with everyone perhaps people whom are at high risk of depression should have measures in place but that isn’t a disability

Your losing sight of its meaning a disability is something you live with depression is curable unless it’s clinical or chemical

And if depression was classified as a disability disability would lose meaning as nearly everyone suffers from depression once in their life

Your saying you are low and it never goes away that’s mental illness and as I said if it’s proven in curable then yes it’s a disability but I won’t accept the plain ******** of everything being classed as a disability

And the level of effect should matter too if your mildly low all your life that could just aswell be your personality there are plenty of pessimistic or nihilistic individuals whom have volatile personalities these are likely to suffer from depression do to lack of a goal or purpose and druggies whom also suffer from depression and such to give such a loose term as depression the classification of disability is to say many un warranted individuals be treat specially because of their mentality
    There are some cancers that are curable, does that mean that they shouldn’t be referred to as a disability while they have it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    There are some cancers that are curable, does that mean that they shouldn’t be referred to as a disability while they have it?
    No cancer is not curable and it can be killed but due to it being a genetic disease that is caused by mutation it often returns cancer is far seriouser than depression no matter the severity of so said depression to compare them is rather silly on one your body’s dying on the other you kill yourself one can be treated with pills and counselling the other you’re only chance is to kill it off alongside your own flesh in hope that you delay the inevitable

I don’t disagree that physical depression should be a disability only that the more minor cases of mental depression that a large percentage of the population suffer from shouldn’t be say if my father died I was depressed for a month then I come to terms am I the same as a man who has one leg or cerebral palsy case no ****ing hell there are a lot of people who are prescribed anti depressants yet are not depressed what this forum sudgest is that those individuals should be treated better than others because their upset

This sort of change would discredit most serious disabilities by letting people who we all know are not disabled take the guise of disability

Another individual In this thread made a fair point that mental illness is considered a disability when constant for several months and physically affects you in day to day life that’s what’s already in place and Is a fair system but here’s something most of you aren’t aware of

This country has been investigated by the un and we have been reported to have committed grave and systematic violations of disabled people’s rights

Instead of flexing you e penis think about the fact that the disability support isn’t supporting disabled people as it is you would have a few minor non physically depressed individuals be classed as disabled but that would only mean even less truly disabled people would get help

****ing hell ive already said most of this earlier in the thread

If you are not physically affected by your depression and it goes away quickly it ain’t a disability not every depression case is serious most are not the type that constitutes as a disability is rare really rare and already is classified as a disability so what you’re fighting for or arguing about are the small sad individuals who have minor depression being treated like a man in a wheelchair do you seriously think that’s a fair and sane system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lejax)
    No cancer is not curable and it can be killed but due to it being a genetic disease that is caused by mutation it often returns cancer is far seriouser than depression no matter the severity of so said depression to compare them is rather silly on one your body’s dying on the other you kill yourself one can be treated with pills and counselling the other you’re only chance is to kill it off alongside your own flesh in hope that you delay the inevitable

I don’t disagree that physical depression should be a disability only that the more minor cases of mental depression that a large percentage of the population suffer from shouldn’t be say if my father died I was depressed for a month then I come to terms am I the same as a man who has one leg or cerebral palsy case no ****ing hell there are a lot of people who are prescribed anti depressants yet are not depressed what this forum sudgest is that those individuals should be treated better than others because their upset

This sort of change would discredit most serious disabilities by letting people who we all know are not disabled take the guise of disability

Another individual In this thread made a fair point that mental illness is considered a disability when constant for several months and physically affects you in day to day life that’s what’s already in place and Is a fair system but here’s something most of you aren’t aware of

This country has been investigated by the un and we have been reported to have committed grave and systematic violations of disabled people’s rights

Instead of flexing you e penis think about the fact that the disability support isn’t supporting disabled people as it is you would have a few minor non physically depressed individuals be classed as disabled but that would only mean even less truly disabled people would get help

****ing hell ive already said most of this earlier in the thread

If you are not physically affected by your depression and it goes away quickly it ain’t a disability not every depression case is serious most are not the type that constitutes as a disability is rare really rare and already is classified as a disability so what you’re fighting for or arguing about are the small sad individuals who have minor depression being treated like a man in a wheelchair do you seriously think that’s a fair and sane system
    From observing your comments on this thread, I can tell that you know almost nothing of what you’re talking about, you’re just spouting whatever comes into your head.

Some subtypes of cancers are curable, obviously not 100% but nothing’s ever 100% curable anyway. Some cancers that come to mind are early stage cervical cancers, testicular cancers and skin cancers have very high cure rates but this could take months of treatment. Are these not to be classed as a disability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    I don't want to accuse you of lying or anything but I can't see a legitimate counselling service a) giving your appointment away without you cancelling it and b) telling you the reason that another patient is using the service
    Let me put it this way, my grief wasn't showing and I appeared coherent and not shaking etc.

The person my appointment was given to, despite just being a first time breakup was pouring tears and shaking and heavily agitiated and pretty much shouting.

I bottled my feelings up so it was seen as "coping" shame I felt like self harm and worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Let me put it this way, my grief wasn't showing and I appeared coherent and not shaking etc.

The person my appointment was given to, despite just being a first time breakup was pouring tears and shaking and heavily agitiated and pretty much shouting.

I bottled my feelings up so it was seen as "coping" shame I felt like self harm and worse.
    Most people who use counselling services look fine from the outside, they are very rarely shaking and crying and shouting. Sorry but I call bs on this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by howitoughttobe)
    Most people who use counselling services look fine from the outside, they are very rarely shaking and crying and shouting. Sorry but I call bs on this one.
    Then tell me how I used to have care workers, mental health support, a mental health social worker AFTER I left the course.

Explain to me how when I saw a psychologist his assessment was "came in clean shaven, washed, in ironed and clean clothed, smiled and clear voice, no evidence of mental health from this.

Then saw a seperate one who told me I suffered from severe anxiety, depression and I was autistic.

Another one told me again I had ADHD, not autism

ESA assessments always put down the same as the first one I wrote about, how I smile, clear spoken, clean clothes, don't smell etc thus can't have problems.

Everyone has conflciting opinions, after I moved my current social worker said I cope well enough even though its obvious I suffer from anxiety because I can use microwave, order take away etc its seen as coping but someone who has fits due to stress even self inflicted gets the support.

ReputationRep:
    What about high functioning depression. Where people manage to keep a sort of life together whilst experiencing depressive symptoms. Seeing as it depends on the person I can't really comment but it effects their day to day life, or what others may see of it, less than those whose depression is not high functioning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcox_x)
    What about high functioning depression. Where people manage to keep a sort of life together whilst experiencing depressive symptoms. Seeing as it depends on the person I can't really comment but it effects their day to day life, or what others may see of it, less than those whose depression is not high functioning.
    This is why I don't think it's a disability. It's something that you can mitigate by willpower and discipline. For example with depression you may want to stay in bed all day but you can force yourself to get out and be productive.

You can't force yourself to walk without legs.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2018
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.