Identies, algebraic expressions watch

• Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by cens)
    Hi Notnek,

I understand, and I'm not put off at all. I'm willing to put it what it takes to fully understand everything I need. As I said before, there is no formal requirements for the MEng from Open University, so the primary reason for my study is self improvement and understanding, not just to pass an exam. So just repeating the text book examples would defeat the purpose of why I'm doing this.

That link you provided is really useful, thank you. I'll be using that lots.

I've only bought the one text book so far, which is "A Level Mathematics for AQA - Student Book 1 (AS/Year 1)" by Stephen Ward & Paul Fannon - which is the new spec.

I spent some time researching the differences in exam boards, and feel like AQA was best (at least for me). But in the end I'm more focused on learning the math as opposed to learning the exam.
    The topic list is now exactly the same for the different exam boards so there isn't much difference at this stage which one you pick - AQA should be fine. I gave you the Edexcel ExamSolutions link above but you'll want the AQA link, although I'm not sure if there's any difference!

I assume you're aware of the structure of the new A Level and that you'll need to learn Mechanics and Statistics? You'll also need to become familiar with the large data set in stats, which you may already know about. There's some info here about the new maths spec which may be useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    The topic list is now exactly the same for the different exam boards so there isn't much difference at this stage which one you pick - AQA should be fine. I gave you the Edexcel ExamSolutions link above but you'll want the AQA link, although I'm not sure if there's any difference!

I assume you're aware of the structure of the new A Level and that you'll need to learn Mechanics and Statistics? You'll also need to become familiar with the large data set in stats, which you may already know about. There's some info here about the new maths spec which may be useful.
    Hi Notnek,

Yep I'm aware of the new structure

Thanks for the info, that has cleared up a few things.

Do you think it would be too much to take on Further Maths also?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by cens)
    Hi Notnek,

Yep I'm aware of the new structure

Thanks for the info, that has cleared up a few things.

Do you think it would be too much to take on Further Maths also?
    I think it's too early to say, especially since you haven't done any maths for 8 years. If you're finding A Level maths easy then you can start to consider it. But no decision has to be made at this stage since you could learn all of maths first and then learn FM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    I think it's too early to say, especially since you haven't done any maths for 8 years. If you're finding A Level maths easy then you can start to consider it. But no decision has to be made at this stage since you could learn all of maths first and then learn FM.
    OK understood.

Thank you for all the info and time to help me out! And for the warm welcome to TSR!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.