Turn on thread page Beta
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by alevelstudentttt)
    Just remember that there are around 10,000 people who apply to Law at Cambridge who would have gotten all A* each year.
    Nope. Just over 1,000 applicants for law at Cambridge and a 25% offer rate.

I know you are being hyperbolic, but it doesn't help potential applicants.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by User1591)
    So the question I propose is, If I get A* in all my A level subjects, and I have a personal statement that shows my passion and dedication for my chosen degree (Law) will my GCSES overshadow that potential and will I have an chance of getting an offer. Thanks.
    Yes. Apply in Y13 with those predictions and see what happens, and then if necessary reapply with the grades achieved in a gap year (if you really really want to). Both Oxford and Cambridge will welcome a candidate with a strong "upward academic trajectory".

Also it's one choice of your 5 options on UCAS. It is guaranteed you will not get an offer only if you don't apply.

Edit: it might be worth checking with a couple of Oxford colleges to see their view of "poor" GCSEs followed by excellent A-levels. I'm not an expert on Oxford... Cambridge would be fine with it.

Let's tag BrasenoseAdm for their thoughts

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge you could do but Oxford probably not. Oxford care about GCSEs a lot. However if you do well in As levels and the entrance exam you can get into Cambridge with bad GCSEs. Source: I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Nope. Just over 1,000 applicants for law at Cambridge and a 25% offer rate.

I know you are being hyperbolic, but it doesn't help potential applicants.
    I got into HSPS at Cambridge with ABBBBBBCC at GCSE if it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by User1591)
    I had little passion for education in my younger years, From Year 7 to Year 11, I did not understand the importance of education and I mainly focused on other things, near the end of Year 11, I became very passionate about English, I liked English literature, because it enabled me to analyse and think critically about different works of masterful literature, I liked English Language because I could use my imagination to write creatively and see the clever language techniques and strategies writers used to convey many elements. I found language and literature so powerful that it would make me express emotions whilst reading/writing.

By the time I found my passion for English, it was too late, I had 2 weeks until the exams, so I decided to revise all the content I had missed for English and I attempted to study other subjects in the process because I came to the realization that education was indeed important. The step that would get me higher was A levels, so I aimed for the minimum GCSE requirements (With the little time I had) so I could do A levels at Sixth Form.

However, me aiming for the minimum, lowered my potential as I could not express the ideas and theories I had to fit in the time constraints of my exams. To top it all off, my GCSE subjects weren't that great either, the subjects I chose did not give me any sense of enjoyment except English, but I attempted to try in them just so I can meet the requirements for A levels. The grades I achieved were:

Two Ds in Science
    Grade 4 in English Language
    Grade 5 in English literature
    C in ICT
    D* in ECDL (Level 2)
    D in Business
    D in History and Geography
    And grade 3 in Maths.

I managed to get 4 GCSES A-C, and thankfully, my teachers allowed me to study the A levels subjects I desired. With that in mind, I am still proud of my self as I managed to fit two years of content within two weeks.

I am currently at Year 12 and I am re-taking Maths alongside my A Levels and I am confident I will be able to get a Grade 5 in Maths by the end of the year. I am currently studying: Philosophy, English Lit, Sociology. And I have been getting almost full marks on my essays for all subjects, I believe I can get A* in all 3 of these subject areas with hard work and effort, I am aware of the difficulty A levels provides and I fully believe that I will get good AS grades by the end of the year, and this isn't just based off my essays, it is based off my determination and belief that I can fully do this.

So the question I propose is, If I get A* in all my A level subjects, and I have a personal statement that shows my passion and dedication for my chosen degree (Law) will my GCSES overshadow that potential and will I have an chance of getting an offer. Thanks.
    If another applicant has the same A-Level results and they have to pick between the 2 of you, then they may refer to GCSE results. So yes I think so, but idk. I went to an interview for a college the last week and they that's what the man interviewing me said
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lowza)
    My advice is get your grades, take a gap year and then apply.

You have a poor academic record, which will likely stop you from getting an interview. Most applicants have multiple A*s at GCSE, and high predictions. I have a friend who got 10 A*s at GCSE, an A in AS maths and A*A*A*A* predictions and didn't even get an interview.

However, if you apply once you already have those 3 A*s at A Level, then you've completely boosted your academic record which means that they will likely be unable to discriminate against your previous track record. In fact, you will then be academically superior to most candidates who won't have their A Levels yet.

Then, with your passion for the subject, you should do well on the admissions test and most likely get an interview...and hopefully a place! You are much, much more likely to be considered if you already have your grades, as you do not have a competitive application at the moment - even if you have all A* predictions.

Go on youtube, and take a look at Ibz Mo. His position was quite similar to yours, he took two gap years and now studies at Cambridge.

Good Luck X
    Agreed. Also gap years are bomb.

ReputationRep:
    Just apply and make sure your cover letter is impeccable. Who is anyone on here to tell you that you have no chance? At the end of the day you may well get 3 A*s which is absolutely incredible and any uni would be lucky to have a student that hardworking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barneywherry)
    Don’t want to be a downer here, but I’m afraid that there is very little chance of you getting in with that. Even if you do get 3 A*, which will be extremely hard, Oxbridge do look at your GCSEs. I know people will all A*s at GCSE and A*A*A at A level not getting in.
    I agree that he needs better GCSE`s. But I only got one A* at GCSE (granted the rest were all A-C) and got an interview in Trinity, Cambridge for Maths. I didn`t get an offer in the end but I don`t think it`s because of my GCSE performance.
    I can`t speak for Oxford, but Cambridge look for genuine interest and talent in their applicants and great GCSE performance doesn`t necessarily show those two things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slewis99)
    I agree that he needs better GCSE`s. But I only got one A* at GCSE (granted the rest were all A-C) and got an interview in Trinity, Cambridge for Maths. I didn`t get an offer in the end but I don`t think it`s because of my GCSE performance.
    I can`t speak for Oxford, but Cambridge look for genuine interest and talent in their applicants and great GCSE performance doesn`t necessarily show those two things.
    Cambridge care less for GCSE's in comparison to Oxford and they also interview more.
    Your GCSE's will affect your chance at oxford, but then it's also relative to your school. If you go to a school where people struggle to even do exams then the grades you have will be percieved more highly than if you have many pupils getting straight A*'s.

ReputationRep:
    Have you done any extra curricular stuff that could show off commitment etc?

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs show that you put effort into your education throughout your life. Your application will look really inconsistent and they won't be confident in your motivation or work ethic. Not much of a chance, but might as well try as you have 5 options on UCAS...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by lia.e)
    My dad does the interviews for Oxford's English department and I can't say too much but he does say that although grades are important, most things are decided in the interview. I mean, I know of people who did badly at GCSE and good at A level but were given places based on how enthusiastic they are. That being said, if you haven't taken your A-levels yet your grades are still only predictions so GCSEs will be looked at.
    Have you done any extra-curricular stuff that could show off commitment etc? GCSE results can represent your work ethic and level of commitment over a long period of time...
    If it were me I would take a gap year and try applying after you have your results but ultimately it's your call. If you feel you have a chance of getting in and you can smash an interview then, by all means, go for it.
    Good luck!!
    Keble (and other colleges) says differently:
    "Decisions
    In making final decisions, we do not look just at interviews, but assess them in the context of the whole application. Interviews matter, but they are not our sole criterion in assigning places. We look at interview performance alongside the information on the UCAS form, written work, and ELAT marks. And, as always, when an ELAT score seemed out of keeping with other pre-interview indicators, Keble tutors re-examined the script themselves."
    http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions...k/english-2016

And, for English, ELAT is very important in the shortlisting process to even get to interview.

For Law (the OPs intended course) the LNAT is similarly important.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.