Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

We are two weeks into our second semester of year 2 of uni and we have our research module for history. Our lecturers have asked us to think about what we like to cover for our third year thesis and I am totally stuck!

I have emailed my lecturers with various ideas, for example: The Profumo scandal and the great train robbery but apparently they have been done to death and there is nothing new to say about them.

I have been reading and a lot of people said that they wished they had covered something that they love because you work on it for so long. My original idea was to do something music related in the 1960s and 1970s (England btw) because this would really interest me but what primary sources would I get to cover something like this - really need help hahaha!

I am open to do something quite macabre about maybe the representation of the devil, something to do with the supernatural in history or demonic possession or capital punishment in Victorian England (we did cover this last year in history).

Also, your thesis is based upon primary sources. How do I go about finding them? I feel really stressed about this and feel the need to crack on with the research - could anybody help me out and maybe tell me what they covered? Have they been in the same position as me? Please help!

F xxx
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by FrankieTansley)
    Hi everybody,

We are two weeks into our second semester of year 2 of uni and we have our research module for history. Our lecturers have asked us to think about what we like to cover for our third year thesis and I am totally stuck!

I have emailed my lecturers with various ideas, for example: The Profumo scandal and the great train robbery but apparently they have been done to death and there is nothing new to say about them.

I have been reading and a lot of people said that they wished they had covered something that they love because you work on it for so long. My original idea was to do something music related in the 1960s and 1970s (England btw) because this would really interest me but what primary sources would I get to cover something like this - really need help hahaha!

I am open to do something quite macabre about maybe the representation of the devil, something to do with the supernatural in history or demonic possession or capital punishment in Victorian England (we did cover this last year in history).

Also, your thesis is based upon primary sources. How do I go about finding them? I feel really stressed about this and feel the need to crack on with the research - could anybody help me out and maybe tell me what they covered? Have they been in the same position as me? Please help!

F xxx

You want to run before you can walk.
    There is a lot of social history in respect of music and the 60s and seventies.

If you talk to your tutor and think of an aspect like protest, social change., political influence then you can investigate those. What other influenced did they have?

Punk, Rock, protest songs etc. Pick an angle. Did music have any influence on the rest of society?

As fr sources then there are hundreds of books and newspaper reports plus interviews from the actual times, so you are spoilt for choice.

I suggest you read about music in the 60s and 70s and note the events that were happening at the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You want to run before you can walk.
    There is a lot of social history in respect of music and the 60s and seventies.

If you talk to your tutor and think of an aspect like protest, social change., political influence then you can investigate those. What other influenced did they have?

Punk, Rock, protest songs etc. Pick an angle. Did music have any influence on the rest of society?

As fr sources then there are hundreds of books and newspaper reports plus interviews from the actual times, so you are spoilt for choice.

I suggest you read about music in the 60s and 70s and note the events that were happening at the time.

I actually put this to my lecturer and she believed that it had either been done to death or not enough stuff to backup any claims. Where would I find a lot of primary sources to be able to do a dissertation like this? I would love to do the music angle because I am so interested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrankieTansley)
    I actually put this to my lecturer and she believed that it had either been done to death or not enough stuff to backup any claims. Where would I find a lot of primary sources to be able to do a dissertation like this? I would love to do the music angle because I am so interested.
    Has anyone mapped the spread/death of punk, both within the UK and to/from other countries?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.