Turn on thread page Beta

Labour discussing plans to include trans women on women only shortlists watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    Ironic, there is no political movement more fascist right now than liberals and SJWs,
    Yeah I'm sure it couldn't be the literal fascists :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Yeah I'm sure it couldn't be the literal fascists :lol:
    You are the literal fascists. Abusing and suppressing people with different opinions is a key element of fascism. There is no group that does this on as wide a scale as liberals right now. It's why I no longer consider myself a SJW or liberal.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm going to leave this here

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/...tim-hierarchy/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I'm going to leave this here

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2018/01/...tim-hierarchy/
    You mean to tell me Rodd Liddle does not approve?

I am shocked! Shocked!

ReputationRep:
    You are the literal fascists. Abusing and suppressing people with different opinions is a key element of fascism. There is no group that does this on as wide a scale as liberals right now. It's why I no longer consider myself a SJW or liberal.
    Yes the key element of fascism is militant and rutheless support for LGBT rights.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the key element of fascism is militant and rutheless support for LGBT rights.
    A key element is forcible suppression of opposition. Do you deny that that is happening? Do you deny that trans activists try to shame, abuse and silence other opinions?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not considering yourself something does not mean you are not that thing, for instance antifa don't think they're fascists, that doesn't mean that they don't at the very least exhibit fascist tendencies.

ReputationRep:
    You mean to tell me Rodd Liddle does not approve?

I am shocked! Shocked!
    The problem is, in Labour’s deranged hierarchy of victimhood, women come a very long way down the list these days. Even — perhaps especially — lesbian women. But then they always were, they might argue a little wryly. It was ever thus.

TIMs hate lesbians. Are you saying you are unaware of the abuse lesbians suffer at the hands of TIMs? I don't know this person, but he is spot on here.

btw, LGB would be far better off without the T. T is inherently homophobic (oh a little boy that like dolls and pink? Yes, take hormones to block puberty, and cut off your penis, for you are not simply a feminine boy or a gay boy, no, you are trans).

ReputationRep:
    A key element is forcible suppression of opposition. Do you deny that that is happening? Do you deny that trans activists try to shame, abuse and silence other opinions?
    It's isn't the only element. May as well try to argue the allies were fascists in WWII becuase they used guns as well. By force do you mean emotionally charged poltcial battles within a Labourist party? Not exactly concentration camps is it.

Trans actavists make their presence known, and there is an element of shaming bigots to that. The whole point is to make anti-trans bigotry as socially unacceptable as racism is now. That is the aim.

As to silencing, I don't doubt there are a section on the left that wish they could get the state to silence certain views. But they are not in control. Currently the opposite is happening. The right are the ones who are creaing organisation like that which Toby Young was placed into, that are there to specifically make sure bigots get a platform at universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Not considering yourself something does not mean you are not that thing, for instance antifa don't think they're fascists, that doesn't mean that they don't at the very least exhibit fascist tendencies.
    They are not fascists because they do no beleive in key tennant of fascist ideology. In fact they totally disagree with them.

All black block anti-fa types beleive in is that you have to use physical force to appose fascists. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    It's isn't the only element. May as well try to argue the allies were fascists in WWII becuase they used guns as well. By force do you mean emotionally charged poltcial battles within a Labourist party? Not exactly concentration camps is it.

Trans actavists make their presence known, and there is an element of shaming bigots to that. The whole point is to make anti-trans bigotry as socially unacceptable as racism is now. That is the aim.

As to silencing, I don't doubt there are a section on the left that wish they could get the state to silence certain views. But they are not in control. Currently the opposite is happening. The right are the ones who are creaing organisation like that which Toby Young was placed into, that are there to specifically make sure bigots get a platform at universities.
    By force I mean doxxing, breaking the Data Protection Act, people who speak up on the internet, disrupting events held by opposition, even attacking people as one women had to suffer in Hyde Park, by constant abuse and character assassination. You think what happened to Rose McGowan was acceptable, or an outlier? No it's reality.

But what is anti-trans bigotry? Not denying reality and not accepting men in women's roles and sports? Not wanting kids to be given hormones and surgery just because they present as a different gender (which is hugely ironic btw, one whole argument of the agenda is how stereotypes are bad and how gender is fluid, and then on the other they use gender stereotype to box people into a binary choice of man or woman)?

The far/liberal left are in effect silencing the right and anyone else with opposing views. It's been happening on US campuses for years and its happening more and more in the UK. Labour are doing it inside their own organization, nothing to do with the right.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They are not fascists because they do no beleive in key tennant of fascist ideology. In fact they totally disagree with them.

All black block anti-fa types beleive in is that you have to use physical force to appose fascists. That's it.
    Except their definition of fascists is not far from "anybody that disagrees with me" and the use of force to suppress opposition is something a fascist would do, quite ironic really, claiming to be against fascism while using force to try to suppress opposing views even if those who hold them are supporters of free and open debate.

ReputationRep:
    Women's only shortlists are incredibly sexist.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Why are women only short lists a thing anyway?

As a woman, wouldnt you be patronised as its basically telling you "You must only compete with other women as you cant beat a man". Does that just entrench the so called 'problem' society has?

Whereas the Conservatives manage to elect women MPs without them. Actually, they have had two women PMs. Labour havent even had a woman as leader ever!

The again Labour have Harriet Harman and a pink bus and tell women they cant beat men (within their own party) so need a to have their own special list. So they must be better for women? :rofl:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    Why are women only short lists a thing anyway?

As a woman, wouldnt you be patronised as its basically telling you "You must only compete with other women as you cant beat a man". Does that just entrench the so called 'problem' society has?

Whereas the Conservatives manage to elect women MPs without them. Actually, they have had two women PMs. Labour havent even had a woman as leader ever!

The again Labour have Harriet Harman and a pink bus and tell women they cant beat men (within their own party) so need a to have their own special list. So they must be better for women? :rofl:
    Simple: So labour can claim to be super progressive because they're closer to having a 50:50 gender split, while failing to get anywhere near 50:50 despite using a system that allegedly should result in 50:50.

Even the AWS system appears to have some amount of "institutional sexism" becuase the results suggest that while winnable seats may be split half an half men are more likely to get the more winnable seat whereas women are more likely to get the marginals and more specifically ones that could be won but probably won't be.

ReputationRep:
    It's isn't the only element. May as well try to argue the allies were fascists in WWII
    By today’s standards they were.

ReputationRep:

‘Fascist’ can include anyone to the right of Corbyn though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    ‘Fascist’ can include anyone to the right of Corbyn though
    No it can't. As as we are seeing here in idoit land it can include any to left of Corbyn as well.

ReputationRep:
    No it can't. As as we are seeing here in idoit land it can include any to left of Corbyn as well.
    Well precisely, but that rather proves my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Well precisely, but that rather proves my point.
    Just becuase the term gets missused does not mean the word has no useful or agreed upon meaning. Or that we should take the claim that LGBT activitsts are fasicsts seriously.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.