Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Two vibrating dippers in a ripple tank produce an interference pattern. How would you expect the pattern to change if a) the dippers are moved further apart
    b) frequency of waves produced by dippers is reduced

For b) I thought there are less points of superposition so the interference pattern is more sparse.
    Is this correct? And I don't really know about a)

ReputationRep:
    Have you covered Young's double slit experiment and the equation that links slit separation and frequency with fringe width?

The situation you describe is essentially the same, but with water waves instead of light and with dippers as the sources rather than slits.

The equation appears in different forms with different letters; I know it as

lambda = xs/D

where x is the fringe width (ie, the separation of the points of constructive interference) s is the distance between the two sources, (in this case your dippers) and D the distance to a screen, which is not relevant in your question. Lambda is of course the wavelength and you have frequency.

Can you match your situation to the equation as you've covered it in class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phys981)
    Have you covered Young's double slit experiment and the equation that links slit separation and frequency with fringe width?

The situation you describe is essentially the same, but with water waves instead of light and with dippers as the sources rather than slits.

The equation appears in different forms with different letters; I know it as

lambda = xs/D

where x is the fringe width (ie, the separation of the points of constructive interference) s is the distance between the two sources, (in this case your dippers) and D the distance to a screen, which is not relevant in your question. Lambda is of course the wavelength and you have frequency.

Can you match your situation to the equation as you've covered it in class?
    From the OP I’m pretty sure i know which textbook he is using. In the textbook this question comes a whole chapter before Young’s Double split experiment and the equation.

(Original post by G.Y)
    Two vibrating dippers in a ripple tank produce an interference pattern. How would you expect the pattern to change if a) the dippers are moved further apart
    b) frequency of waves produced by dippers is reduced

For b) I thought there are less points of superposition so the interference pattern is more sparse.
    Is this correct? And I don't really know about a)
    I would say leave the question until you have covered Young’s Double slit experiment and the associated equation. Then you should be able to answer this question with relative ease.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaanv)
    From the OP I’m pretty sure i know which textbook he is using. In the textbook this question comes a whole chapter before Young’s Double split experiment and the equation.

I would say leave the question until you have covered Young’s Double slit experiment and the associated equation. Then you should be able to answer this question with relative ease.
    First of all I'm a she, shouldn't assume everyone doing physics is a he
    And I'm in my A2 year, just revising AS because obviously have to know that content too for the exams so I'm familiar with the equation. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.Y)
    First of all I'm a she, shouldn't assume everyone doing physics is a he
    And I'm in my A2 year, just revising AS because obviously have to know that content too for the exams so I'm familiar with the equation. Thank you!
    Apologies for assuming your gender. I just assume everyone on the interweb is a male for some reason.

Good luck with the revision, im in the same year as you and i am also on that revision grind.

What optional module did your class pick?

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for assuming your gender. I just assume everyone on the interweb is a male for some reason.

Good luck with the revision, im in the same year as you and i am also on that revision grind.

What optional module did your class pick?
    Oh, I assumed you were an undergrad judging by your replies to various threads aha.

Astrophysics, which I'm very happy about, wbu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.Y)
    Oh, I assumed you were an undergrad judging by your replies to various threads aha.

Astrophysics, which I'm very happy about, wbu?
    Yep same, its a nice module. We’ve only done the telescope chapter and it has been a refreshing change from fields.

Originally i wanted to do the engineering module cus thats what i am gonna be doing at uni but i was outvoted, but i think it was probz for the best😂.

ReputationRep:
    Yep same, its a nice module. We’ve only done the telescope chapter and it has been a refreshing change from fields.

Originally i wanted to do the engineering module cus thats what i am gonna be doing at uni but i was outvoted, but i think it was probz for the best😂.
    I have 2 teachers so doing fields and astrophysics simultaneously.

Aha, I kind of wanted the easy option of turning points since it's mostly memorising facts etc a lot more like GCSE but astrophysics is definitely more interesting.

I'm hoping to do physics at uni but I was originally thinking about enginering too

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.