Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I’m a zoology student doing a survey on attitudes to animals as part of a placement year. I’m especially interested in people who describe their gender identity as non-binary, but anyone and everyone (so long as you are over 18 and a UK resident) is welcome to complete it. It should take no more than 20 minutes.

Thank you so much!

https://northumbria.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/pty-survey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrenny)
    Hi everyone! I’m a zoology student doing a survey on attitudes to animals as part of a placement year. I’m especially interested in people who describe their gender identity as non-binary, but anyone and everyone (so long as you are over 18 and a UK resident) is welcome to complete it. It should take no more than 20 minutes.

Thank you so much!

https://northumbria.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/pty-survey
    Nitpicking, but "Southern Irish" is a bit of an insult back in the Republic. Pls just use "Irish". :yep:

Anyhow, done! Interesting stuff in here I hadn't really thought about before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    Nitpicking, but "Southern Irish" is a bit of an insult back in the Republic. Pls just use "Irish". :yep:

Anyhow, done! Interesting stuff in here I hadn't really thought about before.
    Thank you for completing it and for your comment, I will be sure to remember that in future. So sorry for causing offence.

ReputationRep:
    This is guaranteeing bad research. These are completely inappropriate uses of Likert scale questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    This is guaranteeing bad research. These are completely inappropriate uses of Likert scale questions.
    Thank you for your feedback, would you mind expanding on what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrenny)
    Thank you for your feedback, would you mind expanding on what you mean?
    Ok - in your survey you're using a lot of Likert scale questions, like on P4

For example:

"Stereotypes of men and women hurt everyone"

The participant now can either agree or disagree with the statement. However, there is also the option to "neither agree nor disagree". This is a confusing array of replies. The possible answers to this question are very varied. One could believe that stereotypes of men hurt everyone, or stereotypes of men and women hurt some people - this contradicts the statement - but how does a respondent reply? The logical reply is to disagree - in which case there is no point to the "neither agree nor disagree" option.

The questions are being set up in such a way as to leave open to interpretation not the answer to the question, but the actual method of answering. It is not entirely clear when one should disagree, and when one neither agrees nor disagrees. What you are doing is setting up a model where two people may hold the same view, but because of the way the questions are being phrased, are answering in different ways, resulting in different values being recorded.

To have definite data, it might be better to ask a longer series of questions which are yes/no only. For example -"I believe that women should place family above career" you will only get yes/no answers and there is no room for misinterpretation.

I don't see the value in terms of research of having "Slightly agree" there doesn't seem to be a way of presenting that in a meaningful way. What does it mean if you ask your question about stereotypes and your responses are a split of 12%/17%/32%/30%/9%? What does that even mean? You are letting people choose what "slightly" and "strongly" mean. 29% of people disagree in some way. Does it matter that more people strongly disagree than strongly agree? What about that more people agree in total than disagree? What about that "neither" is the largest category?

It's not clear what you can draw with the data you collect, how this will be presented and interpreted. In this methodology, you're making people interpret their own answers before giving them, rather than giving them definite answers to choose between.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.