Turn on thread page Beta

Someone Confident plz💁☺️ watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you give me advice on how to give a speech to people without getting nervous?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaista_A)
    Can you give me advice on how to give a speech to people without getting nervous?
    Practice your speech, if you're confident with what you're going to say and know your content you will find it a great deal easier.

Speak slowly and clearly, don't rush, although I know it's hard when you are nervous.

Imagine everyone is sitting on the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    At the beginning of the speech everyone gets a little bit nervous.

ReputationRep:
    I recently made a headboy speech, and judging from reactions it was successful. A problem I had was that even though I myself was confident, my legs would shake terribly. To fix this, around every 30 seconds I would charge position and swivel all my weight onto the other for. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    be like mike from breaking bad. just don't give a single flying ****. xD

ReputationRep:
    Experience and practice helps a lot. Same goes for creating a proper mentality, build up your confidence and your determination in your head and go seize the moment.

ReputationRep:
    1. Realise that although it's important to you, for the people watching, it's probably not such a big deal. This means that you don't need to worry about them, they'll be fine. Unless you're accepting a Nobel prize or some such, but probably you won't get your advice from here of that's the case.
    2. Practise loads. Once you know exactly what you're going to say and you can say it fluently, there is little to be concerned about. In front of the mirror, video yourself, get someone who's opinion you value to watch the video with you and give feedback. Listen to their feedback.
    2a. You have to be able to say it without sounding like you've learned it by rote. You can do this by writing it in a relaxed conversational style and learning it like that with all the interjections and pauses.
    3. Go to the place you are going to do the speech before you have to do it. Make sure you know how the AV system works and that your visuals are compatible with their system. Check that videos work. Check that there is internet access if required. There is nothing worse than getting there 15 mins early, all prepared, then getting stressed because you've not got the correct cable.
    4. Think really hard about who you're talking to, what they know already, what they might want to know. Realise that what is interesting to you might not be interesting to them.

You'll be fine. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirpychops)
    1. Realise that although it's important to you, for the people watching, it's probably not such a big deal. This means that you don't need to worry about them, they'll be fine. Unless you're accepting a Nobel prize or some such, but probably you won't get your advice from here of that's the case.
    2. Practise loads. Once you know exactly what you're going to say and you can say it fluently, there is little to be concerned about. In front of the mirror, video yourself, get someone who's opinion you value to watch the video with you and give feedback. Listen to their feedback.
    2a. You have to be able to say it without sounding like you've learned it by rote. You can do this by writing it in a relaxed conversational style and learning it like that with all the interjections and pauses.
    3. Go to the place you are going to do the speech before you have to do it. Make sure you know how the AV system
    works and that your visuals are compatible with their system. Check that videos work. Check that there is internet access if required. There is nothing worse than getting there 15 mins early, all prepared, then getting stressed because you've not got the correct cable.
    4. Think really hard about who you're talking to, what they know already, what they might want to know. Realise that what is interesting to you might not be interesting to them.

You'll be fine. Good luck!
    Have a look at Amy Cuddy's TED Talk about power poses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chirpychops)
    Have a look at Amy Cuddy's TED Talk about power poses.
    Hitler knew about the power of body language in speeches as well.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/hit...t-mirror-1925/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipone)
    Hitler knew about the power of body language in speeches as well.

https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/hit...t-mirror-1925/
    Exactly. Channel your inner Hitler.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Speak slowly and with purpose. You need to be crystal clear in what you're trying to say.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2018
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.