Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Is anyone on here attending OASC on March 11th?, would be nice to introduce ourselves before we go!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, K9xEm

not on your oasc but on the week before (4th March)! What are you applying for?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ln0405)
    Hi, K9xEm

not on your oasc but on the week before (4th March)! What are you applying for?
    Hey!

I’m going for WSOp, yourself? And good luck for the 4th

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and good luck to you too! I’m going for pilot 😬

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and good luck to you too! I’m going for pilot 😬
    Let me know how you get on, how you find it etc! 👍

ReputationRep:
    Yeah will do! How you finding prepping for it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah will do! How you finding prepping for it?
    Not too bad, there’s a lot to remember haha! Last month to crack down on the fitness too 👍 how about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely a lot to remember! Likewise cracking down on the fitness aswell....struggling to get my head round these planning ex’s but getting there!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely a lot to remember! Likewise cracking down on the fitness aswell....struggling to get my head round these planning ex’s but getting there!
    Yeah me too! I’m finding them pretty difficult, best to work out all the maths/SDT and then devise a suitable plan from that info 👍 that’s what I’m going with anyway 😂

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I’ve been doing the same only way to come up with a logical plan haha! Takes me half the time to read some of them need to get quicker at skimming 😂

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I’ve been doing the same only way to come up with a logical plan haha! Takes me half the time to read some of them need to get quicker at skimming 😂
    How you finding the fitness? Practiced a bleep test? And what’s your current sit ups/push ups?

ReputationRep:
    Fitness is probably my weakest part used to be like 105kg but down to 72kg now - been doing the bleep test and getting between 10.5-11 and press-ups averaging 28 and sit ups about 40 so I’m passing it but just haha! what about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    I went through OASC last week so let me know if you have any questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARF17)
    How did it go?

Your interview - what was the structure? Did you talk about two current affairs topics or one? NATO?

School life or just past 5 years?

ReputationRep:
    It went quite well, no one completed a hangar exercise so that was my biggest worry but made it through to the second day still
    The interview was similar structure to the filter interview, 15 mins on your life so far, 15 mins on RAF/Current affairs. They focus on a mix of past 5 years and over your lifetime, jobs/university etc. only covered the past 5 years though.
    They made me list all 10 of my current affairs, but only questioned me on one as we then ran out of time. I was quite surprised in the difference from the filter interview here, both OASC and filter interviewers chose my current affair of Catalonia wanting independence, the filter interview was more of a discussion with the interviewer taking the opposite opinion to me, OASC was more based on in-depth questions such as who is the leader of Catalonia, what happened to the leader of Catalonia, did they get their referendum etc.
    No mention of NATO, however quite a few questions aimed towards ISTAR/ISR and the aircraft related to gaining intelligence - everyone in our group seemed to get these questions too, with only 1 person there applying for Int.
    My filter interviewer also let me choose 3 stations and the aircraft based there to talk about, OASC was more questions on what aircraft was based where. For example I listed the overseas bases and I then got asked what aircraft are based at Mount Pleasant in the Falklands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARF17)
    It went quite well, no one completed a hangar exercise so that was my biggest worry
    The exercises are almost never completed.

I've known hundreds of people who've gone through OASC - the majority going on to IOT - and only ever heard of 1 person completing their lead (have heard the leaderless lead being completed a few times, though).

Not completing it is not a big deal at all.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that they're very hard to complete. We made very good progress on most of them, it's just quite hard with the time restrictions. 4 out of 5 of my syndicate made it through to the second day so over all very good.
    Found the exercises rather enjoyable, albeit very stressful.
    We found it best to just keep trying and trying, a lot of plans seem to not work and you don't have a spare minute to stand around and think of a new plan so it was just 'right this failed, lets try this now' and we got probably around half way on each exercise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARF17)
    What are the planning ex’s like? Any resemblance to the one they give you in the guidance notes?

ReputationRep:
    I found the group planning exercise harder than the individual - probably intended that way.
    I bought a planning exercises kindle book by Richard McMunn from amazon which contains 8 planning exercises to practice with, I found it useful and I did the individual planning exercise really easily and had a plan that worked well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ARF17)
    I have heard that they're very hard to complete. We made very good progress on most of them, it's just quite hard with the time restrictions. 4 out of 5 of my syndicate made it through to the second day so over all very good.
    Found the exercises rather enjoyable, albeit very stressful.
    We found it best to just keep trying and trying, a lot of plans seem to not work and you don't have a spare minute to stand around and think of a new plan so it was just 'right this failed, lets try this now' and we got probably around half way on each exercise
    Not that hard. They're all solvable, it's just the time limit placed on you (during IOT we went back into the hangar for some exercises and were told how they're completed).

It's the way you attempt them that matters, not the result.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.