Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best way to take time off work for MH? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been having issues with Depression as the guy I had been seeing for 2 years died last May. Obviously it is still quite new and I'm still grieving.

I feel my mental health getting worse, as I have 2 essays due in next Thursday and Valentine's Day is coming up and I'm absolutely dreading it because it's the first one without him and I just miss him so, so much.

I have a Summary of Reasonable Adjustments and I've contacted my programme leader about an extension because I don't feel confident about getting the second essay in (I've already submitted the first).

However, work is an issue. Yesterday they changed a rota to add in an extra shift on Friday (I wasn't scheduled to work Friday originally) but I've already been concerned about going into work, just because I feel like I'm in an awful place and super stressed about my deadlines. I have a really lovely doctor that is able to sign me off work whenever I need, however she is only in on Tuesday or Wednesdays. I'm going to try to get an appointment with another doctor tomorrow morning (there weren't any appointments available today) but because they haven't been dealing with me and won't quite understand my situation, I'm not confident if they will sign me off and I'm dreading having to explain it all to someone new.
    I also have therapy at 11 til 12 and HAVE to look after my nan after, not leaving much time for an appointment.

Shall I just pretend I have the flu? Shall I tell them now or wait until tomorrow to see if I can get a sick note?
    Shall I be truthful? Shall I message one of the more understanding team leaders rather than phone in (I'm not sure who would pick up).

My main issue about calling in, is that they will ask me to find cover, sick or not. And sometimes they are completely understanding about my situation, sometimes they aren't and this is all stressing me out 10x more
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Try your absolute hardest to get a drs app. Even if it's a different doctor, they will still have all your medical notes and history etc. so should still be able to sign you off. I think that would be the best thing for you. Also, I would phone your employer and explain why you can't work the sudden extra shift on Friday, which tbh they should be slightly expecting considering they gave you such rude short notice without even asking you first (I work in retail (assuming you do to because it's shifts) and it ruffles my feathers when they add shifts suddenly! I don't even know when my next shift is as they haven't even done the rota for next week. Calm breaths, ha.)

ReputationRep:
    I was off work for nearly three months in 2016 because of my depression, telling work was the most terrifying but best thing I could do. I called a meeting with my manager and HR and explained what was happening, they were so much more understanding than I was expecting. Bring a sick note from your doctor and be as honest as you can. It was the best decision I’ve ever made and I got the intensive treatment I needed at the time.

It’s scary as hell but if you lie you’ll be worrying about it, it’ll make you anxious and that’s the last thing you need.

So sorry to hear about your guy, maybe do something special to honour him on valentines day? Watch his favourite film, eat his favourite take out. Cry as much as you need to. Look after yourself :hugs:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Try your absolute hardest to get a drs app. Even if it's a different doctor, they will still have all your medical notes and history etc. so should still be able to sign you off. I think that would be the best thing for you. Also, I would phone your employer and explain why you can't work the sudden extra shift on Friday, which tbh they should be slightly expecting considering they gave you such rude short notice without even asking you first (I work in retail (assuming you do to because it's shifts) and it ruffles my feathers when they add shifts suddenly! I don't even know when my next shift is as they haven't even done the rota for next week. Calm breaths, ha.)
    I do work in retail and it's super annoying because they have NEVER put me on a Friday shift before, and this is the week they happen to start :curious:
    I also don't know when I'm meant to be working on Sunday because the week goes Sunday-Saturday and they seem to post next weeks rota whenever they feel like, so I haven't seen it yet!
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    I do work in retail and it's super annoying because they have NEVER put me on a Friday shift before, and this is the week they happen to start :curious:
    I also don't know when I'm meant to be working on Sunday because the week goes Sunday-Saturday and they seem to post next weeks rota whenever they feel like, so I haven't seen it yet!
    I totally get what you mean! The week goes like that for me too. They're supposed to put the rota up 2 weeks in advance. I worked on Tuesday, so I have no idea when I'm working next week. I actually asked for that week off so who knows I might not actually be working at all! This means I have to make a special trip to work to find out my next shift.

I hope it all works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    I was off work for nearly three months in 2016 because of my depression, telling work was the most terrifying but best thing I could do. I called a meeting with my manager and HR and explained what was happening, they were so much more understanding than I was expecting. Bring a sick note from your doctor and be as honest as you can. It was the best decision I’ve ever made and I got the intensive treatment I needed at the time.

It’s scary as hell but if you lie you’ll be worrying about it, it’ll make you anxious and that’s the last thing you need.

So sorry to hear about your guy, maybe do something special to honour him on valentines day? Watch his favourite film, eat his favourite take out. Cry as much as you need to. Look after yourself :hugs:
    Yeah I'm hoping they'll sign me off for a while because I do have a lot of catching up to do with my masters degree. I'm just hoping I get someone understanding!

And thank you, I'm planning on visiting his grave and then going to the cinema (that was one of our favourite things to do together). I would ideally spend all day at his grave and have a picnic but it's waaayyyy too cold so I won't last very long!

ReputationRep:
    So quick update, I managed to get signed off for 2 weeks as that was the max they could do at first but I can extend it if needs be. And work were understanding, and I was granted the extension for uni so the stress is off a little bit! Just need to focus on myself (and my essay) for the next few weeks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.