Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Realistically speaking, do I have a chance at getting into top UK universities? watch

Announcements

My gcses : 3A*, 2A's, 3B's, 2C's
    My AS level mock exams: 4 A*'s
    Looking at it from a completely arbitrary perspective, would I have a chance of getting into Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, York and other top UK universities? Or should I lower my standard of university?
    Btw I know these grades aren't amazing, that's why I'm asking this question. I know there are people with 13A*'s at GCSE and 6A*'s at A level who would deserve a place much more than me. I just want some sort of closure. Please just give an honest but constructive answer and try not to be arrogant or pompous, thanks.
    I'm genuinely worried about this and I wish I had done more work at GCSE but that time is gone now. So yeh.

ReputationRep:
    You had 4 A*s at AS Level? I thought the highest was an A? But anyway, those grades are really good, maybe not Oxford, but any of the rest could be fine

Please answer

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Looking at it from a completely arbitrary perspective, would I have a chance of getting into Cambridge, Durham, Bristol, York and other top UK universities? Or should I lower my standard of university?
    Btw I know these grades aren't amazing, that's why I'm asking this question. I know there are people with 13A*'s at GCSE and 6A*'s at A level who would deserve a place much more than me. I just want some sort of closure. Please just give an honest but constructive answer and try not to be arrogant or pompous, thanks.
    I'm genuinely worried about this and I wish I had done more work at GCSE but that time is gone now. So yeh.

Well I thought you could only get A’s at AS Level but either way you only need 3 A Levels to go to University. Do you know what A level grades you are predicted?

And for your GCSEs they play some part in getting you to univeristy (probably more so at Cambridge) but they are pretty good results!

ReputationRep:
    Same, didn’t know you could get A* at AS level but since right now you are doing really well, I think you could! I’m not sure for Oxbridge since it is true many tend to get 8 A* at GCSE and more but the results are fine overall
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You can't get an A* in A-Level unless you're doing mathematics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    1. You can't get A* grades at AS

2. Besides particular courses at particular unis, yes. Naturally, LSE and Oxford will prove more difficult.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.