Turn on thread page Beta

can A*A*A*A international student get into medicine through clearing watch

ReputationRep:
    ...is it possible?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I may be wrong, but I was under the impression medicine is so competitive there are very few if any clearing places available. Again, I'm no expert on medicine degrees but that's what I've gathered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I may be wrong, but I was under the impression medicine is so competitive there are very few if any clearing places available. Again, I'm no expert on medicine degrees but that's what I've gathered.
    oh no ive been confused about medicine and biomedical engineering for years now and when I finally realise medicine is my actual passion, I miss all the deadlines... *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    I would have usually said no, but I know someone who got 2 offers through clearing for medicine. I was surprised but apparently it happens..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah99630)
    ...is it possible?
    Usually not; there's quotas, and int. applicants are usually so strong for uk med schools that practically all of them meet their offers. The clearing spots are often UK/EU spaces. I have heard of it happening in some years; You're gonna have to wait and find out tbh.

There's occasionally some in UCAS Extra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    There was 50 places at one uni last year. Grade deflation and extra places this year means it's likely gonna happen again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    oh no ive been confused about medicine and biomedical engineering for years now and when I finally realise medicine is my actual passion, I miss all the deadlines... *sigh*
    As I said, I could be wrong. I've never been interested in medicine so don't know how it all works in terms of clearing. However I do know it is very competitive. If you can't get in through clearing, you might have to re-apply in October for 2019 entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Usually not; there's quotas, and int. applicants are usually so strong for uk med schools that practically all of them meet their offers. The clearing spots are often UK/EU spaces. I have heard of it happening in some years; You're gonna have to wait and find out tbh.

There's occasionally some in UCAS Extra.
    thank you! what if I apply for biomedical engineering in let's say, Glasgow, then once I reach there i request to please shift to medicine, will that be possible once im already a student there? thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There was 50 places at one uni last year. Grade deflation and extra places this year means it's likely gonna happen again.
    Ah, thank you. I guess it just depends on the universities and if the OP wants to go to the ones offering clearing places.

OP - maybe you should contact the universities you are interested in and ask about clearing, they can give you some idea about it.

ReputationRep:
    thank you! what if I apply for biomedical engineering in let's say, Glasgow, then once I reach there i request to please shift to medicine, will that be possible once im already a student there? thanks.
    I am 99% sure you can't transfer to Medicine. Sorry. (Also you will need the UKCAT/BMAT for some unis even if there is a place through clearing)

ReputationRep:
    If someone drops out of the course and is an international student, perhaps - that's very unlikely though; I wouldn't put any expectatation on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chance23)
    I am 99% sure you can't transfer to Medicine. Sorry. (Also you will need the UKCAT/BMAT for some unis even if there is a place through clearing)
    oh God this is stressful haha, I'm really worried, I guess I'll have to go for BMEng. thank you!

ReputationRep:
    oh God this is stressful haha, I'm really worried, I guess I'll have to go for BMEng. thank you!
    If it's something you really want then take a gap year and reapply and hopefully you can get in that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chance23)
    If it's something you really want then take a gap year and reapply and hopefully you can get in that way.
    yes maybe I should consider that. Australia has March intakes, I could consider that also. thanks.

...is it possible?
    you'll get in. you're an international student. don't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    thank you, haha doesn't being an international student make it worse though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Audrey18)
    Absolute nonsense. Places for international students at medical school are strictly limited and contested fiercely.

ReputationRep:
    thank you, haha doesn't being an international student make it worse though?
    It does

ReputationRep:
    It does
    hehe, gap year it is lol. (considering it's too late to apply NOW)

ReputationRep:
    hehe, gap year it is lol. (considering it's too late to apply NOW)
    Obviously check UCAS Extra when it launches, and clearing when it's happening, but prepare for a gap year also.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.