University Strikes: How are you affected? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/9242/...n-pensions-row

University and College Union has announced the following strike days for their members who are staff at universities and colleges:

Week one - Thursday 22 and Friday 23 February (two days)
    Week two - Monday 26, Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 February (three days)
    Week three - Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 March (four days)
    Week four - Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March (five days)

The interesting thing about a strike like this is a lot of universities are doing things in their own way.

Are your lectures and/or seminars affected?
    What are the university doing about that?

At the end of the day, you're still paying the university for a service, and you're not getting anything from it...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 04MR17)

University and College Union has announced the following strike days for their members who are staff at universities and colleges:

Week four - Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March (five days)

The interesting thing about a strike like this is a lot of universities are doing things in their own way.

Will your lectures and seminars be affected?
    What are the university planning on doing about that?

At the end of the day, you're still paying the university for a service, and you're not getting anything from it...
    My uni is not allowed to ask whether a specific lecturer will be on strike, hence students may not find out that there are no lectures that week until they turn up...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Will your lectures and seminars be affected?
    What are the university planning on doing about that?

As a first year, I'm not affected too much as most of my studies are self-directed anyway, and I don't get much out of the lectures despite attending all of them.

Here at Edinburgh (for Informatics anyway), it's been confirmed that stuff that isn't taught as a result of the strike will not be examined, which is reassuring.

Either way, I don't think people's pensions are to be messed with and if lecturers have to lose 14 days of pay by withholding labour to force Universities UK to listen to them then so be it. I'd be angry if it was my pension being messed with.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    My uni is not allowed to ask whether a specific lecturer will be on strike, hence students may not find out that there are no lectures that week until they turn up...
    Can students ask though?:curious: I know that lecturers aren't obliged to say, but we've been encouraged by our SU to ask lecturers so we get an idea whether or not to come in.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Here at Edinburgh (for Informatics anyway), it's been confirmed that stuff that isn't taught as a result of the strike will not be examined, which is reassuring.
    That's following guidance from the UCU.:yes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's following guidance from the UCU.:yes:
    Good guidance.

I wonder if there are any universities not following this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Am not affected but wish i was so i didnt have lectures :moon:

ReputationRep:
    tfw your uni isnt even on the list
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    tfw your uni isnt even on the list
    :rofl:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm a PGT student.

Unfortunately, it coincides with my literature review so we wont know if we get out drafts back in time to make changes. It also will affect our project that starts in March but how much I don't know at the moment

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Our university management has sent an email saying they are working towards the strikes not affecting students and that they hope lecturers will put students first. Rescheduling will be done in classes whose lecturers are striking.

I'm a final year student so personally I really hope I'm not too affected. I really need the lectures and seminars especially in March what with my dissertation having a feedback deadline then. I do see the point of the strikes but I doubt the strikes could actually change anything, it's a union going up against the government.... Either way sucks that the lecturers are having their pensions reduced.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My uni hasn’t directly announced us about the strikes, I found about it online. Hope all lectures will be cancelled though

ReputationRep:
    I dunno what's gonna happen yet because I could do without losing however many days pay, ha. See what happens. I won't be crossing any pickets, put it that way.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lilGem)
    I'm a PGT student.

Unfortunately, it coincides with my literature review so we wont know if we get out drafts back in time to make changes. It also will affect our project that starts in March but how much I don't know at the moment
    Will the uni not let you claim extenuating circumstances for this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My uni isn't affected atm, as the ballot didn't reach the 50% threshold of unionised workers.

They're reballoting though, so we won't find out until the 16th Feb.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    We won't find out until the 16th Feb.
    That feels quite late.

ReputationRep:
    Less than 40% turn out at my uni so it will ballot again

ReputationRep:
    York is doing my head in, I know what days the strikes are going on but don’t know whether I’m gonna be affected 🙄🙄🙄🙄
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Fizzy98)
    York is doing my head in, I know what days the strikes are going on but don’t know whether I’m gonna be affected 🙄🙄🙄🙄
    That sucks.

:console:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.