Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Week one - Thursday 22 and Friday 23 February (two days)
    Week two - Monday 26, Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 February (three days)
    Week three - Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 March (four days)
    Week four - Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March (five days)
    Turns out my university is on the list too. However, I have not heard anything about the strikes and I think I will most likely not be affected in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    My uni isn't affected atm, as the ballot didn't reach the 50% threshold of unionised workers.

They're reballoting though, so we won't find out until the 16th Feb.
    UoB? I wish they'd hurry up...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chinadog181)
    UoB? I wish they'd hurry up...
    LSE, but same situation as Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    my pp got affected by infection lol

ReputationRep:
    My uni is also striking (Warwick) they have emailed us some info but not much more than we will probably find out on the day if lectures / seminars are taking place.

I am wondering what happens if we miss last 3 weeks of lectures which are for exams. Will they put the exams back and do the lectures in t3 ...?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My university is striking. Most of my seminars will end up being cancelled and so will a bunch of lectures.

The law school has not emailed me anything about what's happening in terms of content missed due to exams but our seminar leaders have told us that we must continue with the seminar preparation and reading even if we miss the content.

They have confirmed though that our lectures and seminars will >not< be rescheduled, which is disappointing and a complete disaster in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Good guidance.

I wonder if there are any universities not following this?
    My exam Qs are apparently already in place, and we've just been told to avoid any topics we might have missed. Which is just great.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content

So what exactly are the UCU's constructive proposals to resolve this dispute?

Nothing changes for any current or future member is a non-starter in the face of a £17bn pension scheme deficit.

Damaging the interests of students is unlikely to win hearts or minds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    My uni hasn’t directly announced us about the strikes, I found about it online. Hope all lectures will be cancelled though
    Remember you're paying for this education. £80 lost per lecture cancelled, not everyone has this in pocket change.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by sdramanathan)
    Remember you're paying for this education. £80 lost per lecture cancelled, not everyone has this in pocket change.
    I am really not though. I go to uni for free

ReputationRep:
    It's alright for some then! Why don't you leave this discussion board to people who are actually effected then? No point sticking your two pence in when it doesn't affect you.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by sdramanathan)
    It's alright for some then! Why don't you leave this discussion board to people who are actually effected then? No point sticking your two pence in when it doesn't affect you.
    Affected*

I am also affected hence my uni is on the list. I can talk about it regardless anyways, it’s a public forum.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :rant:

ReputationRep:
    I'm a big boy now. I can get through the odd day without my supervisor being there to hold my hand.

Even if it did have an impact on me, I wouldn't complain. I'm fully supportive of their decision to strike.

ReputationRep:
    One is defiantly going on strike while one will not be. One I have no idea (although he only comes in Friday so I suspect not) and the other has implied he won’t be.

For the one on strike, he has said he won’t teach us a chapter of the material, and thus he won’t put that on the final exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3796682)
    Just because he doesn’t pay to uni doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect him does it? He is still a student getting an education from the uni.

ReputationRep:
    I have 27 lectures on strike days. I have spoken to lecturers and expect 15 to happen. Leaving 12 which probably won't happen. In practical terms 2 modules look like they will be gutted. I may have so little teaching on these modules that I could get a three hour exam on 90 minutes of lectures.
    And some wally tells me not to worry because it's no big deal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Hopefulbunny)
    I have 27 lectures on strike days. I have spoken to lecturers and expect 15 to happen. Leaving 12 which probably won't happen. In practical terms 2 modules look like they will be gutted. I may have so little teaching on these modules that I could get a three hour exam on 90 minutes of lectures.
    And some wally tells me not to worry because it's no big deal.
    :rip: Hope it gets resolved before the strike lasts its full course. Can't see that happening to be honest.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I was told by a friend at UCL that the strikes also affect admissions offices. As someone waiting for an answer from their university I'm getting a bit anxious how this might affect my situation

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.