Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

is an iPad pro worth it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm currently in my first year of sixth form and I've been saving up my money for a while. Originally I was planning on saving up for a new phone but lately I've been thinking about getting the 10.5' iPad Pro.

I really like taking my notes in class by hand but really struggle with staying organised because of the amount of paper I use and it just seems to be all over the place which is why I like the idea of an iPad Pro as I can still make notes by hand (using the apple pencil) but I can store them electronically and be more better organised? I'm just finding it hard to stay motivated when all my notes are all over the place.

I'd probably buy an apple refurbished one (and trade in my old iPad 3 to get some money off) to save money.

I already own a MacBook Pro which I use a lot but is a bit too heavy to be bringing into school everyday. I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry a levels. I'd also be using the iPad for digital art, I'm a really big into art - i know that's probably a big surprise from someone doing the subjects I'm doing haha (and originally, I wanted it to start doing art on and it was just later I thought about how useful it could be for school).

Do you think it's worth it?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by peacheyroses)
    So I'm currently in my first year of sixth form and I've been saving up my money for a while. Originally I was planning on saving up for a new phone but lately I've been thinking about getting the 10.5' iPad Pro.

I really like taking my notes in class by hand but really struggle with staying organised because of the amount of paper I use and it just seems to be all over the place which is why I like the idea of an iPad Pro as I can still make notes by hand (using the apple pencil) but I can store them electronically and be more better organised? I'm just finding it hard to stay motivated when all my notes are all over the place.

I'd probably buy an apple refurbished one (and trade in my old iPad 3 to get some money off) to save money.

I already own a MacBook Pro which I use a lot but is a bit too heavy to be bringing into school everyday.

Do you think it's worth it?
    Honestly people have managed just fine with lever arch files, mini folders and plastic pockets. Cheaper as well. If yu have savings then I would save them for buying a real pc for uni at the right time or even better getting any extra revision books you need for your exams. Thats more likely to get you more marks and then you ca type if notes at the end of the week.

ReputationRep:
    Consider buying a few ring binders for a couple of quid each, one for each subject. It's cheaper, keeps all your papers where you want them and promotes good organisation which is a useful skill throughout life. An iPad Pro is an expensive reaction to your dislike of messy papers, it sounds more like looking for a justification to buy one rather than an actual need for it.

If you're adamant than you want to start digitising your notes, start with a normal stylus for your current iPad. The iPad Pro and Apple Pencil are heavily geared towards artistic applications, there's not so much of a chasm of difference when you're just doing some rudimentary note taking.

ReputationRep:
    Totally worth it

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing maths, so past papers are a must.
    I've started downloading them to my tablet and using an app to write on to the pdf file. I'm now saving a lot of paper as I'm now only writing results and notes on where marks were lost on one piece of paper.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    I would save them for buying a real pc for uni at the right time
    They already have a MacBook Pro but it's just too darn heavy for school use.

ReputationRep:
    For electronics, you will never need anything expensive unless you are using it mainly for other purposes apart from school work. Don't spend so much money...

Buy some dividers, folders, a planner etc

ReputationRep:
    I literally use this for this exact thing in school, I highly recommended it, it's incredible to store everything at the tip of your fingers and easily root it out, it doesn't just help with organisation but you can look at notes anywhere which are much neater and you're much less likely to lose any work when it's all stored away. Let me recommend the 12.5 inch iPad, it's worth the extra trust me, especially to write and use one drive and the word etc packages to organise and save evyerhing, not iCloud or anything else
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Gofre)
    They already have a MacBook Pro but it's just too darn heavy for school use.
    Yes I saw. I was thinking more for when they get to uni. In any event as its school then I dont see need and think the money is better spent elsewhere. The only good thing is if they get refurbished then they can see if it improves their productivity and then sell it if it does not.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I tried storing my notes electronically last year, and it just didn't work (I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology). Stick to the way everyone knows works, good old fashioned pen and paper.

As advised above, get yourself some folders and dividers to stay organised. If you want a device to view past papers on the go, then get a iPad 9.7" which is much cheaper than the Pro.

ReputationRep:
    Is nobody else gonna mention that an iPad Pro is more powerful than most laptops (including a MacBook Pro 2017 i5, 8GB RAM)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyber Ninja)
    Is nobody else gonna mention that an iPad Pro is more powerful than most laptops (including a MacBook Pro 2017 i5, 8GB RAM)?
    Since all they want it for taking notes, nah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Since all they want it for taking notes, nah.
    Think about the milliseconds of faster time that Microsoft Word would load at.

Think of the milliseconds

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.