Turn on thread page Beta

Going to uni just to make friends? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've always viewed uni in a bad light. £27K+ any degree of that price is not worth it. Its just too much considering you only go like 3 or 4 times a week and most of its independent study.

The original plan was to do a legal apprenticeship however I can't help but feel jealous when I see people in their happy friendship groups.

I'm a very sociable person, I love going out. Hate staying at home. Love to try and do different things. I'm good at meeting new people in fact I love talking to people.

The problem is that I have stayed with my friends from high school in college. Their so boring and quiet. They do talk but we always run out of things to say. Whereas with my class mates we always talk. Always have a laugh. Never run out of things to say.

I feel bad if i leave my friend on her own. She's by herself then. But if I join my other friends, then she'll just sit there quietly on her phone and not interact at all. Itz really Embarassing. It's as if she's a tag along. She finds it awkward when I sit with others.

Basically it's my fault that I didn't try and make new friends at the start and now I'm stuck with her.

My friends never have money to go out. I feel like I'm missing out on a social life. And I'm that type of girl, who loves a laugh and loves to go out. Not sit in silence eating dinner in the canteen with my one friend.

I feel like college is my last chance to have a social life if I go for a legal apprenticeship. Coz it's different when it's a job right? There are adults who have kids and their just different.

My last chance to make new friends and have a social life before I get married is uni. Important to note that I'm muslim, so I'm gonna have to get married after my studies. And I really want friends before that.

Even though uni is hella expensive, shall I go just to make friends? I really want friends and a social life!

ReputationRep:
    How long is the apprenticeship?

If it’s something like two years , and its not a full degree but level 5 then I think you should do the apprenticeship if that’s what your hearts in then go to uni. Additionally you could do a level 3 apprenticeship. I think it’s good to get some experience. If you get I don’t know a specific law qualification I think this would look good with employers and you’ll have experience in law. ( also with a level 5 apprenticeship you can go straight into a third year. You still might make some friends in third year ).

It’s up to you. But if the apprenticeship isn’t longer than three years it’s worth doing both. Also if you do an apprenticeship and uni you’ll have even longer time to make friends and have a social life!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's pointless going to uni for the social life tbh unless you're also studying a subject you're interested in and want to pursue in the future. There is a lot of independent study at university but that only echoes life in a workplace - you can't expect your boss/supervisor to hold your hand and spoon feed you every day at work, so why should uni be any different? It's about using your initiative, especially during dissertations etc as you work largely on your own. That's the whole point of them. It does seem like your priorities are geared more towards a social life than progressing with education at the moment, have you considered going any clubs or groups?

ReputationRep:
    I completed an apprenticeship and made a group of best friends! Mine was an engineering apprenticeship so it maybe different!

Uni is a big commitment to go only for the social life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's such a stupid decision to go to uni just for the social life. Sure, it'll be all fun during freshers week but after that, when the assignments start coming in and deadlines approach, people won't go out as much and the novelty of it will die down. Don't go just to make friends - you could join a club or something else instead to meet people. Don't take a place at uni away from someone who really wants it just because you want to meet new people.

ReputationRep:
    What's the legal apprenticeship, where will it be taken, and what are the prospects after it?

(Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Don't take a place at uni away from someone who really wants it
    Implying that 99% of universities are that competitive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    What's the legal apprenticeship, where will it be taken, and what are the prospects after it?

Implying that 99% of universities are that competitive.
    Sure.

ReputationRep:
    Sure.
    No, seriously, they're not. It's a buyer's market nowadays. Unless the OP has an Oxbridge offer (or one of the more competitive courses at LSE, Imperial, etc), chance are that he/she hasn't deprived anyone of anything.

ReputationRep:
    The grass is always greener on the other side, chica. Until it is nae.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, seriously, they're not. It's a buyer's market nowadays. Unless the OP has an Oxbridge offer (or one of the more competitive courses at LSE, Imperial, etc), chance are that he/she hasn't deprived anyone of anything.
    Cool story.

ReputationRep:
    Cool story.
    Seems like you're one of the people who think that getting into a lowly RG for a random humanity is an achievement. Oh dear, I despair for you. Such a disconnect from the facts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Seems like you're one of the people who think that getting into a lowly RG for a random humanity is an achievement. Oh dear, I despair for you. Such a disconnect from the facts.
    Love it when people assume things about me. It's so much fun.

ReputationRep:
    Did you know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Did you know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    No need to, the tone of your first post gave me all that I needed to know.

Either way, the OP isn't robbing anyone of anything. If they are, and they're Oxbridge (or near-Oxbridge) material, then who the **** cares - the OP earned it.

ReputationRep:
    Doing an apprenticeship doesn't mean you can't make friends. Companies who take apprentices will usually take multiple apprentices every year so you'll have like minded people there to talk to and you'll be earning money so you would actually be able to afford going out. I know you would feel bad leaving your friend but at the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your future. Maybe you leaving will force your friend to talk to other people.

ReputationRep:
    You can always do an apprenticeship or go into work and spend weekends down at uni with your friends and people you know. Then you can make friends at uni whilst pursuing what you want to do and enjoy the nightlife!! That is what I do and it is great.

ReputationRep:
    £27K + is too much money for a degree in your opinion but spending that money to get a social life is okay???

ReputationRep:
    Don't take a place at uni away from someone who really wants it just because you want to meet new people.
    Nope, anyone who gets a place at a uni has earned it. It does not matter why they applied for it. You're not 'taking a place away from someone' if the university decides that you'll do better in the course than they will.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly?
    I went to uni 'for the social life'. I decided on results day that all my friends were gonna go and have fun at uni and if i didn't go i would just be bored/jealous of them.
    And yeah, it is fun, like i like going out and things. But it isn't the social life I imagined it would be. Nobody wants to go out every single night. I get on with all my flatmates and we're all pretty sociable but most evenings, we all just sit in our rooms. You can go several days without seeing the people you live with. Everyone's always busy with uni work. To be honest I underestimated the amount of work there would be. I don't hate my subject, but I don't love it either. And because I can't see anything I'm going to do with this degree, really, I can't help but wonder why I'm bothering to put all this effort in, spend all this money. I suppose if you're the kind of person who can just not put effort in and be happy with that then it wouldn't be as bad, but I'm just not like that.
    The weekends are so boring, too.
    Perhaps you'd be a more popular person than I am, make more friends. Many aspects of uni I enjoy, but I often find myself regretting my decision to come.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.