Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (10)
20.41%
On the contrary, No (28)
57.14%
Abstain (11)
22.45%
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
B1330 - Religion and Beliefs bill 2018, Joecphillips seconded by CountBrandenberg

A
BILL TO
Remove religion from the equality act.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Repeal
(1) In Part 2, Chapter 1 of the Equality Act 2010 remove from section (4): religion or belief;
(2) Repeal Section 10 of the equality act 2010

2- Citation and commencement
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Religion and Beliefs Act 2018

Notes:
“Religion and Beliefs” should not be protected characteristics as ultimately they are a choice and you can tell a lot about a person from the beliefs they hold, all ideas and belief systems should be subject to civil scrutiny.
TCFactor
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Despite being a religious, liberal muslim, I do think that “Religion and Beliefs” should not be protected characteristics as ultimately they are a choice and you can tell a lot about a person from the beliefs they hold, all ideas and belief systems should be subject to civil scrutiny.
AYE.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. I believe it should remain a protected characteristic and nobody has convinced me otherwise.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They may be scrutinised and at this point I feel like the equality act bars us from that... I’ll abstain for now
The PoliticalGuy
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay -Religion should be protected even if it is not a characteristic it should be protected under the equality act.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nay. The author fails to realise that the Equality Act in no way prevents scrutiny of religions.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The Noes have it, the Noes have it!

Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (8)
32%
I really love the subject (10)
40%
I don't know what else to do (5)
20%
I can't get a job (1)
4%
My parents want me to (1)
4%