Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VM461 - Peace Corps Motion 2018 watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many as are of that opinion, Aye
    50.00%
    On the contrary, No
    14.00%
    Abstain
    36.00%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    M461 - Peace Corps Motion 2018, Joecphillips seconded by JellyMilkThis house calls upon the government to send the British Peace Corps to Myanmar and Bangladesh to help the Rohingya refugees have had to flee their homes due to the conditions they faced, the Peace Corps could help improve the infrastructure in the camps the refugees are staying and help rebuild the area they had to flee,

Part of the Peace Corps mission is “to contribute forces to operations other than war in support of British interests and international order and humanitarian principles.” And I would say this counts.

ReputationRep:
    I asked for assurances from the PM that the troops would only be used in a citizen protection role, and not to take the side of the government or rebel group on either side. I do not believe I got these so will be abstaining on the motion.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, this is a group that only intends to provide aid and since we have it, we might as well use it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    I asked for assurances from the PM that the troops would only be used in a citizen protection role, and not to take the side of the government or rebel group on either side. I do not believe I got these so will be abstaining on the motion.
    You don't really need my assurance. Because if we didn't do that then it's not doing what the motion wants the government to do... which is to use the Peace Corps for the sole purpose of helping the refugees.

ReputationRep:
    Surely this is a matter better left to the UN Peacekeepers?

Abstain
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it!

Unlock!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.