Poll: Do you agree with this motion?
As many as are of that opinion, Aye (25)
50%
On the contrary, No (7)
14%
Abstain (18)
36%
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
M461 - Peace Corps Motion 2018, Joecphillips seconded by JellyMilkThis house calls upon the government to send the British Peace Corps to Myanmar and Bangladesh to help the Rohingya refugees have had to flee their homes due to the conditions they faced, the Peace Corps could help improve the infrastructure in the camps the refugees are staying and help rebuild the area they had to flee,

Part of the Peace Corps mission is “to contribute forces to operations other than war in support of British interests and international order and humanitarian principles.” And I would say this counts.
username1450924
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I asked for assurances from the PM that the troops would only be used in a citizen protection role, and not to take the side of the government or rebel group on either side. I do not believe I got these so will be abstaining on the motion.
CountBrandenburg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, this is a group that only intends to provide aid and since we have it, we might as well use it
username1751857
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tommy1boy)
I asked for assurances from the PM that the troops would only be used in a citizen protection role, and not to take the side of the government or rebel group on either side. I do not believe I got these so will be abstaining on the motion.
You don't really need my assurance. Because if we didn't do that then it's not doing what the motion wants the government to do... which is to use the Peace Corps for the sole purpose of helping the refugees.
Scisaac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Surely this is a matter better left to the UN Peacekeepers?

Abstain
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The Ayes have it, the Ayes have it!

Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (619)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (773)
42.06%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.46%

Watched Threads