Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

VP75 - Education (Desegregation) petition 2018 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you support this petition?
    As many as are of that opinion, Aye
    26.00%
    On the contrary, No
    58.00%
    Abstain
    16.00%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    P75 - Education (Desegregation) petition 2018Education (Desegregation) Petition 2018

This petition calls upon the government and the Secretary of State for education to take action to precipitate the abolition of Single Sex education throughout the uk.

I believe that such places if education are now archaic, and, they fail to adequately prepare children for life as typically learn the required social skills in life, from school and interacting with the opposite sex. Such places provide nothing but a barrier to unique relationships we experience not only in school, but out of it.

Additionally, the idea of single sex education goes against the idea of equality of opportunity as schools like Eton are closed off to 50% of the population because of gender.

This would only apply tomsingle sex colleges at unis

ReputationRep:
    I have voted against. This motion is confusingly written and restricts freedom of choice with regards to the education of children.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I urge MPs to consider carefully how they vote on this petition
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Nay. This one has been one I thought over and have thought that it shouldn’t be something we interfere with.
    Since this should be my last post in division for today, I want to thank joecphillips, whom I love and hate all at the same time, for making my first full day as Liber Deputy Leader this... demanding. ( it’s been a short nightmare I guess)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountBrandenburg)
    making my first full day as Liber Deputy Leader this... demanding. ( it’s been a short nightmare I guess)
    Yeah, join the club.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise ahead of time but I will vote in favour rather than against. I firmly believe same-sex schools are damaging society and some kids social abilities at a young age, but make no mistake I do not simply vote for it because "it's 2018"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlintofBavaria)
    I apologise ahead of time but I will vote in favour rather than against. I firmly believe same-sex schools are damaging society and some kids social abilities at a young age, but make no mistake I do not simply vote for it because "it's 2018"
    I fail to see any validity to your view that same sex schools are damaging to society.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Exams421)
    This petition has my full support, and I very strongly urge my fellow MPs to rebel and vote in favour. It's 2018 we need to abolish segregation in education! I'm extremely confused as to why the government has imposed a whip for Nay on this issue!
    Ultimately, we believe in freedom of choice. If there is a demand for same-sex schools/colleges because people want to attend them, they'll stay, if there isn't, they'll eventually convert
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Ultimately, we believe in freedom of choice. If there is a demand for same-sex schools/colleges because people want to attend them, they'll stay, if there isn't, they'll eventually convert
    It does not offer more choice to anyone as for many people their local state schools will be operating such a discriminatory policy, and the decision would normally be made by the parent of the student. I hate to compare to racism, but there is a very wide spread consensus that "separate but equal" does not work with race, if it was proposed to introduce racially segregated schools there would wide spread uproar against it, this is no different. It is a fact that the quality of education will vary between any two schools, and hence the current situation means many thousands of children will be receiving a worse education, simply as a result of their gender. There is also many adverse social affects especially for trans-gender students, the lack of contact with the opposite gender will be damaging to social abilities, and will likely lead to the victims of such a system being very conscious of peoples gender for the rest of their lives. I advise anyone reading this to try and think why segregating by gender is acceptable without doing a web search to try and justify it.

I hate to disagree so publicly with my right honourable friend on this one particular issue, but I think this is only because of the status quo that anyone in our party could ever support such a system, if a racist parent wanted to send their child to a racially segregated school I'm sure we'd be united against such a proposition. This is not to imply that people sending their child to same sex schools are necessarily sexist themselves, but system is incredibly discriminatory.

For avoidance of any doubt I publicly reaffirm my commitment and loyalty to the TSR Liberal Party policies and manifesto which does not cover this issue.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Exams421)
    It does not offer more choice to anyone as for many people their local state schools will be operating such a discriminatory policy, and the decision would normally be made by the parent of the student. I hate to compare to racism, but there is a very wide spread consensus that "separate but equal" does not work with race, if it was proposed to introduce racially segregated schools there would wide spread uproar against it, this is no different. It is a fact that the quality of education will vary between any two schools, and hence the current situation means many thousands of children will be receiving a worse education, simply as a result of their gender. There is also many adverse social affects especially for trans-gender students, the lack of contact with the opposite gender will be damaging to social abilities, and will likely lead to the victims of such a system being very conscious of peoples gender for the rest of their lives. I advise anyone reading this to try and think why segregating by gender is acceptable without doing a web search to try and justify it.

I hate to disagree so publicly with my right honourable friend on this one particular issue, but I think this is only because of the status quo that anyone in our party could ever support such a system, if a racist parent wanted to send their child to a racially segregated school I'm sure we'd be united against such a proposition. This is not to imply that people sending their child to same sex schools are necessarily sexist themselves, but system is incredibly discriminatory.

For avoidance of any doubt I publicly reaffirm my commitment and loyalty to the TSR Liberal Party policies and manifesto which does not cover this issue.
    This petition only affects colleges and universities, both of which the student will have much more sway than the parents, so for me, that argument is moot.

I do take your point on trans-gender students, and that's something I'll think about actually.

Whilst we may disagree on this issue, I know we agree on many other issues and I enjoy having a free and open debate.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    The Noes have it, the Noes have it!

Unlock!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.