Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I haven't used this site before but thought maybe this would help my get a better opinion. I'm in year 11 and after getting my GCSE mocks back I've decided that I'm going to take Maths and Economics for A-Level but I am not sure whether to take French (which I only just scraped a 7/A in) or Psychology (which with much less effort I got an A* in). I feel like I should be taking Psychology as that is the one with the higher grade but in French I feel like it would be a much more valuable A-Level to have - I have even been told universities lower their entry requirements for people with it as it is a desired subject. What should I do? Go with the grades in Psychology, or go for the more lucrative qualification in French. Would love to hear from people who do either or both subjects, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what degree you're going for. Most Russell Group unis won't give a **** about either if you're applying for an science/engineering-based subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harjot)
    Depends what degree you're going for. Most Russell Group unis won't give a **** about either if you're applying for an science/engineering-based subject.
    I'm looking to go down the Finance/Economics route, would either of French/Psychology be preferred?

ReputationRep:
    French, slightly, but I don't see it having a big enough weighing for you not to be able to choose what you actually enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I would definitely recommend taking French for A-level instead of Psychology. It is harder but is therefore much better respected and gives you real life skills which an employer will want.

Don't worry about the 7 in French. Nobody had taken the new GCSE exam yet so every school in the country has had to make up its own grade boundaries which in many cases will be much higher than in reality since some people have scored so badly on some of the papers as they are so much harder than last year. I assure you that if you make sure you learn the vocab and practise your speaking and writing as much as possible, you will be able to achieve an 8 or 9 in the real exam. Getting a 7 at this stage is very good and certainly better than most students in the country!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I recon take French, psychology isn’t very highly respected despite being popular and French is really highly regarded so you’re more likely to get a better uni offer
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by spencersweetman)
    Hi I haven't used this site before but thought maybe this would help my get a better opinion. I'm in year 11 and after getting my GCSE mocks back I've decided that I'm going to take Maths and Economics for A-Level but I am not sure whether to take French (which I only just scraped a 7/A in) or Psychology (which with much less effort I got an A* in). I feel like I should be taking Psychology as that is the one with the higher grade but in French I feel like it would be a much more valuable A-Level to have - I have even been told universities lower their entry requirements for people with it as it is a desired subject. What should I do? Go with the grades in Psychology, or go for the more lucrative qualification in French. Would love to hear from people who do either or both subjects, thanks!
    Hi there,

If you're looking to progress into Finance or Economics a second language may help to boost your chances of career progression to international positions within global organisations. It could even introduce an element of travel to your career.

Most important thing to think about is where you feel you are headed career wise and pick subjects that will help you progress onto your desired degree subject.

I wish you all the best with your GCSE's

Sophie - National Careers Service

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for their insight this has really gave me a wider view of my options and is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Spencer

Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.