Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've read one previous post about this topic but it eas closed down, I guess. During the last three years I've spent almost 11 months overseas working with a fixed-term contract with all the intention to stay there only for a temporary experience (this is proved by a series of documents I forwarded to European authorities and companies). 11 months are considered to many in order to get loans? Furthermore, I sent my Ucas application while I was living there. Would I still be eligible for funding or not? I have also a definitive exit Visa on my passport.

Thank you in advance

Regards
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Vera88)
    Hi,

I've read one previous post about this topic but it eas closed down, I guess. During the last three years I've spent almost 11 months overseas working with a fixed-term contract with all the intention to stay there only for a temporary experience (this is proved by a series of documents I forwarded to European authorities and companies). 11 months are considered to many in order to get loans? Furthermore, I sent my Ucas application while I was living there. Would I still be eligible for funding or not? I have also a definitive exit Visa on my passport.

Thank you in advance

Regards
    Hi Vera88,

Part of the criteria to be eligible for student finance is that you are ordinarily resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year (5 years for EU nationals applying for full funding).

However, if your time abroad was a temporary break, you can still be eligible for student finance. You'd be required to send evidence to show that the break was temporary, so documents like your temporary work contract and your visas along with a cover letter is the type of evidence we'd request.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Vera88,

Part of the criteria to be eligible for student finance is that you are ordinarily resident in the UK for the 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year (5 years for EU nationals applying for full funding).

However, if your time abroad was a temporary break, you can still be eligible for student finance. You'd be required to send evidence to show that the break was temporary, so documents like your temporary work contract and your visas along with a cover letter is the type of evidence we'd request.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
    Hi John,
    Thank you very much. So it doesn't matter the lenght of time I stayed in an overseas country (unless I lived there for the three whole years), but financial help depends on the "nature" of the stay, right?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi John,
    Thank you very much. So it doesn't matter the lenght of time I stayed in an overseas country (unless I lived there for the three whole years), but financial help depends on the "nature" of the stay, right?
    You're very welcome, more than happy to help.

You're absolutely right, as long as the nature of the break was temporary, the time isn't really an issue.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:

You're absolutely right, as long as the nature of the break was temporary, the time isn't really an issue.

Kind regards,

John.

Thank you very much

ReputationRep:

Kind regards,

John.
    Dear John,

Sorry for bothering you again. I saw that is now possible to apply for 2018/2019 funding. The school I worked for in Peru sent me a letter specifying the type of work contract I had and the dates of beginning and end of my collaboration with them. I only have to write a cover letter, explaining the reason I decided to work abroad for almost 11 months. The documents provided by the school are written in Spanish and Italian (being an Italo-Peruvian institution), would it be a problem? Should I begin to fill my application form and send it even though I am not applying for a loan (hope to get a bursary, actually)?

Thank you so much

Vera
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Dear John,

Sorry for bothering you again. I saw that is now possible to apply for 2018/2019 funding. The school I worked for in Peru sent me a letter specifying the type of work contract I had and the dates of beginning and end of my collaboration with them. I only have to write a cover letter, explaining the reason I decided to work abroad for almost 11 months. The documents provided by the school are written in Spanish and Italian (being an Italo-Peruvian institution), would it be a problem? Should I begin to fill my application form and send it even though I am not applying for a loan (hope to get a bursary, actually)?

Thank you so much

Vera
    Hi Vera,

Evidence is required to show that your break was of a temporary nature.

We would always suggest that the documents you send to us are a certified translated copy.

Any evidence to support your application should be sent to the following address:

Student Finance England
    PO Box 210
    Darlington
    DL1 9HJ

Please send with a cover letter, your name and customer reference number. The documents will be reviewed on a case by case basis by an assessor.

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rona SFE)
    Hi Vera,

Evidence is required to show that your break was of a temporary nature.

We would always suggest that the documents you send to us are a certified translated copy.

Any evidence to support your application should be sent to the following address:

Student Finance England
    PO Box 210
    Darlington
    DL1 9HJ

Please send with a cover letter, your name and customer reference number. The documents will be reviewed on a case by case basis by an assessor.

Thanks Rona
    Hi Rona,

Thank you so much for the information you have provided.

One last question: during my stay in Peru I temporary worked there and pay taxes in Peru. Would it be considered a problem for my eligibility?

Thank you

Vera

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.