Turn on thread page Beta

Finally got a diagnosis, feeling *****y watch

Announcements

My psychiatrist diagnosed me earlier today and it's bad. A previous one had reached the same conclusion but this new one told me the previous one was wrong when I started seeing him. But now they both agree.

I keep looking up stats for how people with this diagnosis function, how long they have it for, whether they work/have relationships and the massive amount of stigma attached.

I feel unable to tell either of my parents as I don't want to disappoint/or scare them. Tbh I'm kind of scared of myself and what I might be capable of - how pathetic is that that I'm buying into the stigma myself?

He told me I'll be on medication for life and should try to not aim too high - I had wanted to perhaps do a phd but now I feel like what's the point. He said stress is really bad for me so I need a low stress job and furthering my education is only going to make me more stressed.

I feel hopeless about my future.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    **** what your psychiatrist says. If you want to aim high, aim high. Prove them wrong.

At the end of the day, it's just a label. Just a word. It doesn't have to doom your life.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't know what you were diagnosed with, but I have a diagnosis of schizophrenia and have a degree, masters degree and due to start my PhD in June. Mental illness may hinder you in life but it will not, and can not stop you from achieving your goals in life.

Stay strong :hugs:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    PhDs can be stressful but with the right support (disability offices and supervisor especially), it can be done. I'm halfway through a PhD and have a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. It's been a rocky road but I haven't quit yet!

But yeah, a kind, understanding and patient supervisor is key to being able to do a PhD, regardless of mental health issues or not! PhDs are very up and down and having a good supervisor can really make or break a project. Unfortunately there's no real way of knowing how a supervisor will deal with mental health problems, until you start with them. Unless you know someone who is doing a PhD and has mental health issues and can ask them what their supervisor is like...

On a separate note, it can be very hard not to buy into the stigma. So don't beat yourself up about that too much :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My psychiatrist diagnosed me earlier today and it's bad. A previous one had reached the same conclusion but this new one told me the previous one was wrong when I started seeing him. But now they both agree.

I keep looking up stats for how people with this diagnosis function, how long they have it for, whether they work/have relationships and the massive amount of stigma attached.

I feel unable to tell either of my parents as I don't want to disappoint/or scare them. Tbh I'm kind of scared of myself and what I might be capable of - how pathetic is that that I'm buying into the stigma myself?

He told me I'll be on medication for life and should try to not aim too high - I had wanted to perhaps do a phd but now I feel like what's the point. He said stress is really bad for me so I need a low stress job and furthering my education is only going to make me more stressed.

I feel hopeless about my future.
    Never stop trying. You'll never know what happens unless you try. Never stop believing. Never give up. Your day will come.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.