Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently started my GCSE revision and Chemistry is my biggest struggle, i am aiming for a 6 but am stuck on 4-5. I cannot grasp the simple concepts and foundations of chemistry. Do youhave any tips or advise for me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fatimahsuleman)
    I have recently started my GCSE revision and Chemistry is my biggest struggle, i am aiming for a 6 but am stuck on 4-5. I cannot grasp the simple concepts and foundations of chemistry. Do youhave any tips or advise for me?
    tbh the best thing for you to do is question papers, do lots of exam questions and also read through the examiners report!

ReputationRep:
    aww i feel u there chemistry has always been a pain in the ass, even worse now at a levels...
    First of all get your specification printed out.. it will be on the exam board's website and use it as a checklist of everything u need to know. (I used to annotate it with some key points)
    Anyways I struggled at first during GCSE too even the basicc concepts like orbitals etc. After 4 weeks into the lesson and I went got the CGP revision guides. I don't know what year u are in but I had my year 10 summer break and revision guide saved my life xx So this made me understand the concept. Although using only them will not get u a 9 but it will help u learn the topic easier
    Use mygcsescience.com he is amazinggggg u have to buy the package I believe but he has free videos too for help. My school gave it to us for free.
    When you finally get the concept just practice, practice, practice.. Use past papers even though u are on the new spec use the old ones because not a lot has changed and practice
    U will soon see patterns and things they ask frequently like units for heat capacity...
    Find other online resources like youtube channels- Primrose Kitten is also greatt she predicts exam questions u could get and summarises the units. There are others like UnJaded Jade and Eve Bennet who can help with ways u can revise and be productive.
    Lastly, remember it is possible to do well aim higher than a 6 aim for a 9, even if u do not get it u should have high aspirations xx
    btw I got A* in chemistry last august and I was the only one in my school ahaha the school was not great so no excuses just get working.
    .. and if you take it to A-levels then this GCSE is a walk in the park
    Hope that helped xx

ReputationRep:
    I literally used to be the same way about biology. I used to just avoid any biology revision and then it got to a point where I was so behind in it I didn't know what to do! So honestly what I did was just sit down and say to myself it's not as bad as you think and I started revising with an open mind and tried to clear out the thought of me hating biology. I know it may sound dumb but it's proven in psychology to help! I ended up getting an A, so the mindset really has to be right for you and chemistry. Also you can find a heap of resources online to help you, if you search YouTube there will defo be videos on chemistry revision, as I have found some for chemistry A Level. My biggest tip for you is forget about everything you hate about chemistry and start afresh, with new notes and complete as many past papers as you can. It really does help. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineG)
    aww i feel u there chemistry has always been a pain in the ass, even worse now at a levels...
    First of all get your specification printed out.. it will be on the exam board's website and use it as a checklist of everything u need to know. (I used to annotate it with some key points)
    Anyways I struggled at first during GCSE too even the basicc concepts like orbitals etc. After 4 weeks into the lesson and I went got the CGP revision guides. I don't know what year u are in but I had my year 10 summer break and revision guide saved my life xx So this made me understand the concept. Although using only them will not get u a 9 but it will help u learn the topic easier
    Use mygcsescience.com he is amazinggggg u have to buy the package I believe but he has free videos too for help. My school gave it to us for free.
    When you finally get the concept just practice, practice, practice.. Use past papers even though u are on the new spec use the old ones because not a lot has changed and practice
    U will soon see patterns and things they ask frequently like units for heat capacity...
    Find other online resources like youtube channels- Primrose Kitten is also greatt she predicts exam questions u could get and summarises the units. There are others like UnJaded Jade and Eve Bennet who can help with ways u can revise and be productive.
    Lastly, remember it is possible to do well aim higher than a 6 aim for a 9, even if u do not get it u should have high aspirations xx
    btw I got A* in chemistry last august and I was the only one in my school ahaha the school was not great so no excuses just get working.
    .. and if you take it to A-levels then this GCSE is a walk in the park
    Hope that helped xx

Thank you so much for ur advise

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do, in terms of Chemistry, is think logically. Use scientific videos to help you. Once you have grasped the concept of atomic structure, try doing questions and logically thinking about the ways in which particles work, especially charges. Hopefully, by thinking logically about the building blocks of Chemistry, you can quickly grasp the rest!
    Hope this helps!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.