Turn on thread page Beta

Best regions to live in France (British Council language assistant programme) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Can anyone advise me on which regions in northern and central France are the best areas to live?

I have to choose one region from each of these 2 groups:
    GROUP A: Amiens, Créteil, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Reims, Versailles
    GROUP B: Besançon, Caen, Clermont-Ferrand, Limoges, Nantes, Orléans-Tours, Poitiers, Rennes, RouenGROUP C: Aix-Marseille, Bordeaux, Corse, Dijon, Grenoble, Lyon, Montpellier, Nice, Outre-Mer, Paris, Strasbourg, Toulouse

I like both cities and beautiful countryside so have no strong preferences. I would like to be somewhere reasonably lively, as in I am happy to be somewhere peaceful and rural as long as there are interesting places to visit nearby. I like outdoor activities (hiking etc), music and having lots of places to explore. I prefer warmer drier climates to being freezing cold but also love skiing so all in all it's a tough choice! My first choice is outre mer and I am happy to work with any age group of students.

Does anyone have any experience of these regions or the British Council language assistant programme in general? Would really appreciate some advice.

Merci bien!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizzie =))
    Hi there,

Can anyone advise me on which regions in northern and central France are the best areas to live?

I have to choose one region from each of these 2 groups:
    GROUP A: Amiens, Créteil, Lille, Nancy-Metz, Reims, Versailles
    GROUP B: Besançon, Caen, Clermont-Ferrand, Limoges, Nantes, Orléans-Tours, Poitiers, Rennes, RouenGROUP C: Aix-Marseille, Bordeaux, Corse, Dijon, Grenoble, Lyon, Montpellier, Nice, Outre-Mer, Paris, Strasbourg, Toulouse

I like both cities and beautiful countryside so have no strong preferences. I would like to be somewhere reasonably lively, as in I am happy to be somewhere peaceful and rural as long as there are interesting places to visit nearby. I like outdoor activities (hiking etc), music and having lots of places to explore. I prefer warmer drier climates to being freezing cold but also love skiing so all in all it's a tough choice! My first choice is outre mer and I am happy to work with any age group of students.

Does anyone have any experience of these regions or the British Council language assistant programme in general? Would really appreciate some advice.

Merci bien!
    Hello!

I did my language assistantship a while ago now but I can definitely recommend going for a more urban location if you can. I found it lonely enough at the start of my time abroad even though I was in a city. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been in a rural location, although I do love the countryside. Once I had made friends, being in a location where there were plenty of places to meet for coffee or dinner was a really benefit. Plus, I appreciated the good transport links to other cities to see my uni friends and to the airport to fly home when I wanted.

As regards the assistantship itself, you may find that teachers in the school are a bit reluctant to use your skills as they feel embarrassed about their own level of English. But just keep offering to help out in lessons otherwise you will end up feeling a bit useless and lacking in purpose, like I did.

I chose to go to Germany over France so I don't have much advice on regions. I would say, though, that a friend who went to Lille found it rather dull. A couple of friends who went to Dijon absolutely loved it. I personally love Aix, but if you choose Aix-Marseille, you might end up in Marseille, which is no where near as nice as Aix!

Good luck and make the most of your time abroad!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.