OPTIONS IN MARCH.... What do I choose

Watch
calmatthews296
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello, in March I am given the opportunity, as well as all the other year 9's around England, to choose my options to study in Year 10. My dream(s) are to either become a paediatrician or a teacher of humanities. Clearly, I like humanities but interested in Medicine. We get 3 options to choose from and 2 reserved options. My Core subjects and Options are listed below:

CORE:
English Language (GCSE)
English Literature (GCSE)
Mathematics (GCSE)
Science (Double or Triple)
Physical Education (BTEC)
At Least on EBACC lesson out of French (GCSE), Geography (GCSE) or History (GCSE)

OPTIONS:
Art (GCSE)
Business Studies (GCSE)
Dance (GCSE)
Design and Technology (GCSE)
Film Studies (GCSE)
Food Technology (GCSE)
French (GCSE)
History (GCSE)
Geography (GCSE)
Music (GCSE)
Philosophy & Ethics (GCSE)
Sociology (GCSE)

BTEC/VOCATIONAL COURSES:
Child Development (OCR National)
Finance (CiFE/LiFE)
Health & Social Care (OCR National)
ICT (OCR National)
Performing Arts (BTEC)
Travel and Tourism (BTEC)
Lilfreckles541
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I took history and loved it! I found it really interesting and useful in helping me to develop my essay writing skills. If you're interested in humanities then I would definitely recommend it (though I didn't take geography or philosophy and ethics so I don't know what they are like).

My main advice would be to just choose what you enjoy - the subjects that are useful for medicine you have to do anyway, though child development may be handy if you want to go into Paediatrics. I would also recommend talking to students who are currently doing the course as I did the old ones.

Good luck!
susu6679
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im in year 11 and i'm really enjoying history. choose what you like but don't take art - waste of time.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by calmatthews296)
Hello, in March I am given the opportunity, as well as all the other year 9's around England, to choose my options to study in Year 10. My dream(s) are to either become a paediatrician or a teacher of humanities. Clearly, I like humanities but interested in Medicine. We get 3 options to choose from and 2 reserved options. My Core subjects and Options are listed below:

CORE:
English Language (GCSE)
English Literature (GCSE)
Mathematics (GCSE)
Science (Double or Triple)
Physical Education (BTEC)
At Least on EBACC lesson out of French (GCSE), Geography (GCSE) or History (GCSE)

OPTIONS:
Art (GCSE)
Business Studies (GCSE)
Dance (GCSE)
Design and Technology (GCSE)
Film Studies (GCSE)
Food Technology (GCSE)
French (GCSE)
History (GCSE)
Geography (GCSE)
Music (GCSE)
Philosophy & Ethics (GCSE)
Sociology (GCSE)

BTEC/VOCATIONAL COURSES:
Child Development (OCR National)
Finance (CiFE/LiFE)
Health & Social Care (OCR National)
ICT (OCR National)
Performing Arts (BTEC)
Travel and Tourism (BTEC)
Philosophy and Ethics is a good course to do for Medicine (and Humanities).
The vocational courses would not be a good choice for someone aiming for Medicine
Querene
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Word of advice , do not take history , most of the people in my school are failing it . And do not take art ! It’s not as creative as you think, there’s a strict guideline u have to follow and also it takes up a lot of your time !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (251)
47.18%
Take exams next summer (72)
13.53%
Change uni choice through clearing (113)
21.24%
Apply to uni next year instead (55)
10.34%
I'm not applying to university (41)
7.71%

Watched Threads