The Student Room Group

M1 or S2 OCR MEI Urgent

Hello, last year I got an A in AS maths with 82 UMS in S1. I didn't find it too bad but there was few tricky probability Qs and I struggle with graphs. I also got an A in AS physics. I'm already down to do S2 this year, but I have last chance to change tomorrow if I want and I'm unsure whether I should carry on with Stats or do M1. I found mechanics quite easy last year in physics, but I tripped up on some of the questions (e.g inclined planes). My career goal is medicine and I need an A in maths as part of the offer.

Which one is easier to score more highly on/ lower chance of silly mistakes etc...?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
just stick with stats. M1 is pretty easy but there's no point now that you've learned (probably) most of S2.
Reply 2
Original post by BTAnonymous
just stick with stats. M1 is pretty easy but there's no point now that you've learned (probably) most of S2.

Thank you! We haven't actually started learning the S2 content yet (still doing C4). But I see what you mean - as I've already covered S1.
If you haven't started learning s2 yet I would definitely go for m1. Especially if your continuing with physics. I'm doing M1 this year having done S2 last year and imo M1 is a lot easier.
Original post by DvsAmjed
Thank you! We haven't actually started learning the S2 content yet (still doing C4). But I see what you mean - as I've already covered S1.

ooh. ok makes sense now. you actually have an advantage because you do physics (there are a few relationships which you help with M1 such as Newton's laws, SUVAT equations and just general motion) but you've also done S1 so you have a good basis of stats.

your pick! M1 was actually my best module last year by far, suprisingly as I expected it to be the worst out of the 3 and the exam wasn't exactly easy.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by stopopups
If you haven't started learning s2 yet I would definitely go for m1. Especially if your continuing with physics. I'm doing M1 this year having done S2 last year and imo M1 is a lot easier.

Thanks! I don't do physics anymore, but I did it to AS. M1 looks easier, but it seems a bit more unpredictable?
Reply 6
I did Edexcel M1 and MEI S2 so I can't comment specifically on MEI's M1, but for me at least M1 and S2 were both fairly straightforward modules, comparatively speaking. M1 is probably easier and it helps you get better in Physics, too. S2 is conceptually harder than S1 (again I did Edexcel S1 and MEI S2 so take my comparison with a grain of salt), but the S2 exam is very straightforward, there are never really any surprises on the exam and the questions are less annoying - it's mostly just probability distributuons (I think you've seen Binomial before? Whereas in Edexcel S1 we did the normal first) and hypothesis testing (which I think is also in MEI S1 and not Edexcel). No tree diagrams, venn diagrams, counters in bags, et cetera. Much less obnoxious, less thinking outside the box.

S2 was really good for me, but I did it as part of my further maths. I'm not really sure it compares in simplicity to M1, which is, at the end of the day, basically an AS maths module. Your choice really. You can probably afford to go with whatever sounds more interesting to you, but M1 is probably the rational choice if you want to help out your physics too.

Quick Reply

Latest