Help desperately needed for English language 9-1 edexcel

Watch
aa1604_02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm quite worried about English language. To start off, I find it really difficult to do the creative writing section b question, on both papers 1 and 2. I still find it difficult to use writing techniques. Our teacher gave us this acronym for different techniques, daforrestpie but tbh it doesn't really work for me. The evaluate questions are a hell to answer, I don't know how to evaluate. I find myself analysing it instead and I just don't know what to do. Also I want to know, exactly how many language and structure points should you do for the 'how does the writer engage the reader using language and structure?' questions (they're worth 6 marks on paper 1). And do you need more for the 15 mark one on paper 2? What exactly should you write about for these questions in general? I get 6's but I reallllllyyyyy want to get an 8. I'm currently having my mocks, tomorrow is my last one and it's English language. I'll be happy if I get a 7 now. But I want to hit those top grades for my GCSEs. Before you start asking, yes I do look at the mark schemes and yes I do practice papers. But still I only get 6's, barely ever get a 7.
r____1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by aa1604_02)
So I'm quite worried about English language. To start off, I find it really difficult to do the creative writing section b question, on both papers 1 and 2. I still find it difficult to use writing techniques. Our teacher gave us this acronym for different techniques, daforrestpie but tbh it doesn't really work for me. The evaluate questions are a hell to answer, I don't know how to evaluate. I find myself analysing it instead and I just don't know what to do. Also I want to know, exactly how many language and structure points should you do for the 'how does the writer engage the reader using language and structure?' questions (they're worth 6 marks on paper 1). And do you need more for the 15 mark one on paper 2? What exactly should you write about for these questions in general? I get 6's but I reallllllyyyyy want to get an 8. I'm currently having my mocks, tomorrow is my last one and it's English language. I'll be happy if I get a 7 now. But I want to hit those top grades for my GCSEs. Before you start asking, yes I do look at the mark schemes and yes I do practice papers. But still I only get 6's, barely ever get a 7.
I advise you to go through English Language 9-1 mark scheme because it’s really helpful and clear, and it tells us how to successfully answer. For example, to answer a writer’s use of language and structure, you will need to get full marks (level 3) by analysing the writer’s use of language and structure (without language or structure, you won’t be able to beyond level 3, regardless of analysing! Be careful!) For level 2 - mid marks you will need to comment on the writer’s use of language and structure. I advise you to use PETAL (Point. Evidence. Analyse. Technique. Link) ... Evaluating an extract is a bit tough, but you can analyse the writer’s use of language and structure within setting, or idea, or theme or event but you need to evaluate really well and clear! For this, I advise you to use PETWZ (Point. Evidence. Technique. What does it make the reader think or feel (for example, the writer successfully demonstrates to the reader a sense of tension or whatever .... as the quotation makes them feel/or think). Zoom in (means to analyse) and Zoom out (means to comment on the writer’s intentions) ... I got a 8 last year, I’m pretty sure you will be fine!
regi.01
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Go onto Sarah Holmes on youtube. Her playlist is a bit messy, but her videos on the English papers, including English language, are very good and go into good detail on how to answer the questions on each paper. Go on the edexcel website and look at the examiner's reports from last year. Personally, I find them quite useful. I find especially that the fiction one is very useful. When answering evaluate questions, the key is to seem passionate to the examiner. Instead of constantly repeating "successfully engages" or successfully describes" etc, find other ways to say it such as "the writer's expertise allows them to..." or "the writer imaculately describes". I will put a picture up with this showing you some of the the things I do when answering the evaluate questions. It really helped for me. I went from a grade 4/low grade 5 to a top grade 8 (according to my teacher). Since we have little time now before our exam, I would suggest using these tips and any other advice you've been given to some more practice questions, especially the long answer ones. Get as much in to your teacher for them to mark if they can. Don't overkill though!
Ratchet Hoe
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wonder how you get nearly 40 in creative and transactional writing. Especially since they give you the most marks
Switch01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How many pages do u write for imaginative writing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (84)
65.63%
I don't have everything I need (44)
34.38%

Watched Threads