Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

When is a good time to start revising for GCSEs??? watch

ReputationRep:
    I do my GCSEs this year and I take English, Maths, Science, History, French, Art and ICT. When do you think is a good time to start revising when I want a social life and without getting too stressed???? (I'm not motivated by the way so it takes a while for me to get started)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Most people begin revising around February time by doing a few hours a day on a revision timetable . But don’t start full blown revision (ie. no social time) until a month before you exams so that u dont wear urself out I’m taking them with u so wish u look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libbyfirmstone)
    Most people begin revising around February time by doing a few hours a day on a revision timetable . But don’t start full blown revision (ie. no social time) until a month before you exams so that u dont wear urself out I’m taking them with u so wish u look.
    yeah I don't wanna wear myself out. I've got a mate who started revising in August and I think that'd just depress me!! I've got half term next week so I might start after my week off. I go to revision classes after school for the lessons/ teachers that I like so I'm doing a bit. Just a build up for me. Thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly i felt guilty for only starting properly come March/April. But in all honesty short term memory can be just as good as long-term. Maths I struggled a lot with so left a lot until last minute and somehow got from 4 to a 7.
    I revised for months for Biology and got a B because of multi-choice questions getting me down, and Physics I revised the night before, absolutely hated, and somehow got an A. Test papers can make or break you.
    It makes no sense. But looking back on GCSEs, there is no point stressing. A Level content is a lot harder.
    My advice would be start when you feel comfortable but do not allow yourself to stress - that is key. Obviously do not leave anything until last minute - having done the last exam schemes my exams were a lot easier than the new science exams starting this year - but for subjects you are comfortable with, make sure to prioritise lower-attaining subjects first.
    Hope this helps
    What helped me most were youtube videos. Watch Mr Bruff for English! He's amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Mate, don't stress at all! The teachers chat ****. GCSE's are so crazy easy. As long as you leave 2 weeks for revision before exams you will be calm. Don't be stressed out now my friend because later life is far more stressful. Relaxing and enjoy being young!👌🏻

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendarob)
    I do my GCSEs this year and I take English, Maths, Science, History, French, Art and ICT. When do you think is a good time to start revising when I want a social life and without getting too stressed???? (I'm not motivated by the way so it takes a while for me to get started)
    Right now. I've been revising since the start of the year, if uve not started start now. To motivate urself get rid of all distractions (PS4, notifications on social media etc.) and get ur work done

ReputationRep:
    im only doing about 15 mins a day rn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebells1)
    Honestly i felt guilty for only starting properly come March/April. But in all honesty short term memory can be just as good as long-term. Maths I struggled a lot with so left a lot until last minute and somehow got from 4 to a 7.
    I revised for months for Biology and got a B because of multi-choice questions getting me down, and Physics I revised the night before, absolutely hated, and somehow got an A. Test papers can make or break you.
    It makes no sense. But looking back on GCSEs, there is no point stressing. A Level content is a lot harder.
    My advice would be start when you feel comfortable but do not allow yourself to stress - that is key. Obviously do not leave anything until last minute - having done the last exam schemes my exams were a lot easier than the new science exams starting this year - but for subjects you are comfortable with, make sure to prioritise lower-attaining subjects first.
    Hope this helps
    What helped me most were youtube videos. Watch Mr Bruff for English! He's amazing!
    Mr Bruff has been recommended to me before, I've heard he's a legend! Watching/ listening helps me more than reading so I'm going to look for more YouTube channels that help with other subjects and maybe watch a video a night to get myself into it and start a bit a routine. My French teacher has a YouTube channel so I watch him on that when I need to. Thanks again!! And I'll get started on revising this month I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeclanGCSEs)
    im only doing about 15 mins a day rn
    Better than nothing (like me!) XD I'm lazy ugghh

ReputationRep:
    I started this Monday

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob15)
    Right now. I've been revising since the start of the year, if uve not started start now. To motivate urself get rid of all distractions (PS4, notifications on social media etc.) and get ur work done
    Funny how I've turned to social media to get tips when I shouldn't be on my phone haha. You're probably right. Do you mean you've been revising since the start of the school year or the start of 2018?? I wouldn't want to get fed up so I wouldn't start as early as you have, but good on ye for being dedicated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    Yesterday
    Tomorrow's better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeclanGCSEs)
    I started this Monday
    I'm thinking about starting around this time. I've got half term next week and I'll start after that I think with a short amount of time each day

ReputationRep:
    Mr Bruff has been recommended to me before, I've heard he's a legend! Watching/ listening helps me more than reading so I'm going to look for more YouTube channels that help with other subjects and maybe watch a video a night to get myself into it and start a bit a routine. My French teacher has a YouTube channel so I watch him on that when I need to. Thanks again!! And I'll get started on revising this month I think
    What is your French teacher's Youtube Channel called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverstar101)
    What is your French teacher's Youtube Channel called?
    Type in Robbos Revision. There's only 3 videos but they're helpful

ReputationRep:
    Type in Robbos Revision and the channel is called Andrew Roberts. There's only 3 videos but they're helpful
    Thank You. How do you revise in general? Read over things, make notes and learn them or what?

ReputationRep:
    Thank You. How do you revise in general? Read over things, make notes and learn them or what?
    OMD! He sounds so French but also so English! You need to tell him to make more videos. He explains really well!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started really...😬 I need to figure out a method soon!!

ReputationRep:
    OMD! He sounds so French but also so English! You need to tell him to make more videos. He explains really well!
    He's talented haha

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.