Turn on thread page Beta

When is a good time to start revising for GCSEs??? watch

ReputationRep:
    1) start now!

2) if you want to do 'intensive studying', treat the day like it's a school day: 6hrs of studying, with break and lunch, plus 5-10min intervals in between study sessions. that way you can rest in the evening : )

3) maybe try revise with your friends, make sure you don't go off topic though !

4) primrose kitten is amazing for science! revision with eve and unjaded jade have motivating vids, plus really good revision tips!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendarob)
    He's talented haha. Dead cool how goes from scouse to French like that. He'll be made up that he's been promoted lol
    Are you from the North or West of the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverstar101)
    Are you from the North or West of the UK?
    North west
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikela)
    1) start now!

2) if you want to do 'intensive studying', treat the day like it's a school day: 6hrs of studying, with break and lunch, plus 5-10min intervals in between study sessions. that way you can rest in the evening : )

3) maybe try revise with your friends, make sure you don't go off topic though !

4) primrose kitten is amazing for science! revision with eve and unjaded jade have motivating vids, plus really good revision tips!
    I've also heard about Eve! She did amazing in her exams didn't she. I've watched a few of her English videos and they've been helpful. I'll have a look into the others too, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Start immediately.

Leaving it until a month before is madness! It's a total fallacy that it's better to wait until nearer the time as you won't have time to forget it. Nearer the time you'll panic.

Nearer the time is when you go through past papers to get your knowledge tip top and fine tune your exam technique ( Don't spend time thinking about questions you're unsure about. Do the ones you know first and then go back to those you need to ponder over.) Many people who fail do so not because they didn't know enough but because they didn't finish the parts of the paper they did know.

Fail to prepare : prepare to fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    Start immediately.

Leaving it until a month before is madness! It's a total fallacy that it's better to wait until nearer the time as you won't have time to forget it. Nearer the time you'll panic.

Nearer the time is when you go through past papers to get your knowledge tip top and fine tune your exam technique ( Don't spend time thinking about questions you're unsure about. Do the ones you know first and then go back to those you need to ponder over.) Many people who fail do so not because they didn't know enough but because they didn't finish the parts of the paper they did know.

Fail to prepare : prepare to fail.
    "Fail to prepare: prepare to fail" my fave quote👌🏼 seriously thanks and I'll start soon. Been getting so many different opinions on here but your technique of revising now and doing past papers nearer to the exam seems logical and manageable!

ReputationRep:
    1) start now!

I've subscribed to these channels. Do you recommend any particular videos that'd help me in general??

ReputationRep:
    I’m studying national 5 in Scotland which is the equivalent to GCSE’s and I’m planning to start studying in the next week (my exams are in may). I got 5 A’s and a C in my prelims (mock exams) so I’m not too worried about the exams but I feel like the sooner I start studying the less stressed I’ll be nearer exam time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie040902)
    I’m studying national 5 in Scotland which is the equivalent to GCSE’s and I’m planning to start studying in the next week (my exams are in may). I got 5 A’s and a C in my prelims (mock exams) so I’m not too worried about the exams but I feel like the sooner I start studying the less stressed I’ll be nearer exam time.
    I feel educated on Scottish qualifications now lol! I think I'm gonna do a a similar thing to you with revision. And for my mocks I got (in the new grading system) two 6s (B) one 5 (B/C) two 4s (C) and two 3s (D). Didn't really bother revising though. I've got another set of mocks at the end of Feb so I'm gonna revise a bit more to see how I do. You seem naturally clever being able to A's before you've started studying!!

ReputationRep:
    Funny how I've turned to social media to get tips when I shouldn't be on my phone haha. You're probably right. Do you mean you've been revising since the start of the school year or the start of 2018?? I wouldn't want to get fed up so I wouldn't start as early as you have, but good on ye for being dedicated!!
    Well I started slowly at the start of the year so I don't have to rush anything. I have a lot of other stuff going on so I started slowly and spread all my revision throughout the year

ReputationRep:
    I do my GCSEs this year and I take English, Maths, Science, History, French, Art and ICT. When do you think is a good time to start revising when I want a social life and without getting too stressed???? (I'm not motivated by the way so it takes a while for me to get started)
    When i was doing my GCSE's, id say i started light revision february time, and the heavy stuff around april. I think the main thing here isnt really when you revise, its how. for me, i know that I spent hours and hours copying out notes. This was time consuming and honestly didnt even help me. make yourself a little revision timetable, go through your syllabus for each subject and take note of what areas you struggle with, then revise these by going over notes, making flash cards, and most importantly in my opinion, doing past paper questions. if you do flash cards and exam questions, you can set yourself a few to do each week, and maybe do a full paper for each subject every few weeks to check your progress.

TL/DR dont waste time re writing notes and you will still have a social life!

ReputationRep:
    I've subscribed to these channels. Do you recommend any particular videos that'd help me in general??
    hi!! here are some unjaded jade ones that i LOVE

https://youtu.be/_c2u--KkoqI https://youtu.be/S0TOsqBdrYg
    https://youtu.be/kCvlMbmo26o
    https://youtu.be/CRM737Iv0wI
    here is her academia playlist!!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Bm7horDsQ1HC8V

it's v motivating!! the pomodoro technique (which is somewhere in that playlist) is one i've been using since yr 9

are you doing combined science? primrose kitten does these vids where she summarises paper 1 and 2 in like 40 mins, with triple content at the end. great for fact recall! freesciencelessons is also pretty decent for science x

(also sorry if the layout of this is rly awkward, i'm using mobile)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twoteas)
    When i was doing my GCSE's, id say i started light revision february time, and the heavy stuff around april. I think the main thing here isnt really when you revise, its how. for me, i know that I spent hours and hours copying out notes. This was time consuming and honestly didnt even help me. make yourself a little revision timetable, go through your syllabus for each subject and take note of what areas you struggle with, then revise these by going over notes, making flash cards, and most importantly in my opinion, doing past paper questions. if you do flash cards and exam questions, you can set yourself a few to do each week, and maybe do a full paper for each subject every few weeks to check your progress.

TL/DR dont waste time re writing notes and you will still have a social life!
    Sounds like a good idea!! I'll have to see what works for me with each subject too. I'll use the half term to experiment I guess, and also work on starting a timetable. Thank you!!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Ellie040902)
    Well done on those prelim results! If you're ever looking for any help or advice for your Nat 5s, there's plenty of people who can help over in the Scottish Qualifications sections https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=41

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I would start asap just make out a basic revision timetable (don't put in set times if you know you won't be able to stick to them) say give yourself two subjects a night to study. Take a day during your mid-term break to organise your revision, make out lists of topics you need to cover (the specifications are great for this) then give yourself targets to meet, say for example have notes completed on the first unit of each topic by the end of February. Remember when making your timetable to allow some down time, don't bog yourself under. Mindmaps, summary pages, flash cards and past papers are all excellent study methods. xx

ReputationRep:
    hi!! here are some unjaded jade ones that i LOVE

https://youtu.be/_c2u--KkoqI https://youtu.be/S0TOsqBdrYg
    https://youtu.be/kCvlMbmo26o
    https://youtu.be/CRM737Iv0wI
    here is her academia playlist!!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Bm7horDsQ1HC8V

it's v motivating!! the pomodoro technique (which is somewhere in that playlist) is one i've been using since yr 9

are you doing combined science? primrose kitten does these vids where she summarises paper 1 and 2 in like 40 mins, with triple content at the end. great for fact recall! freesciencelessons is also pretty decent for science x

(also sorry if the layout of this is rly awkward, i'm using mobile)
    Thank you so much!! I'll have a binge watch tomorrow cos I'm off and need to kill some time. (I'm on mobile also lol)

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.