Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Surrey for law? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have received an unconditional offer to study law at Surrey, but I am unsure whether to accept it, because Surrey is not particularly known for its law course, and its ranked quite low in certain university rankings. I know university name is important for a career in law, would anyone be able to give me any insight into whether I should accept my offer or not? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seruzachan)
    Hi, I have received an unconditional offer to study law at Surrey, but I am unsure whether to accept it, because Surrey is not particularly known for its law course, and its ranked quite low in certain university rankings. I know university name is important for a career in law, would anyone be able to give me any insight into whether I should accept my offer or not? Thanks.
    What are you other options?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    What are you other options?
    I have an offer from Southampton for AAB, but I'm not too confident I can achieve that

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from Southampton for AAB, but I'm not too confident I can achieve that
    What about your other options?

University name isn’t as important as everyone makes it out to be. There definitely isn’t much between Southampton and Surrey anyway.

Surrey has a good placement 4 year course. If you secured a good placement year, that could improve your employability chances far more than university name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    What about your other options?

University name isn’t as important as everyone makes it out to be. There definitely isn’t much between Southampton and Surrey anyway.

Surrey has a good placement 4 year course. If you secured a good placement year, that could improve your employability chances far more than university name.
    I have offers from Kent and Birmingham for AAB but I'm not really interested in going there. I'm interested in securing a training contract though, do law firms not prefer universities that are Russell Group, ie Southampton? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from Kent and Birmingham for AAB but I'm not really interested in going there. I'm interested in securing a training contract though, do law firms not prefer universities that are Russell Group, ie Southampton? Thanks
    No it really doesn’t work like that.

Firms like people with good academics, and given there’s generally higher grade requirements at RG unis, there tends to be higher proportions of students who’d meet firms’ academic criteria.

If you don’t get some A’s in your A-levels many firms won’t consider you no matter what university attend.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.