Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    None worth a damn.
    If you want to go to a vaguely respectable university you'll need to re-do your qualifications and/or get some EC experience in the field to use in lieu of these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sindyscape62)
    I'd say your main problem is not knowing what course to do. The subject is absolutely the most important thing to decide about going to uni - much more than which university. Don't apply to anything until you've decided which subject is it you're really interested in studying for 3 years.

If you want to go to a decent uni, you probably want to look at foundation courses, some of which would probably take you.

Another question to ask yourself is why you want to try university again. If you don't know what subject you're interested in then presumably you don't have a specific career in mind, so what exactly do you want to get out of a degree?
    Yes i 100% know what you mean. My main problem is not knowing who'd accept me and for that reason that's why I don't want to look at a specific area until I know I'd actually be able to get into something my heart would be into as my course beforehand wasn't for me hense why I dropped out after a year cause it was a waste of time and money

ReputationRep:
    Just people thinking they know everything over their phones or laptops I don't mind haha. Thank you I will
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Decide on a few subjects and search on Foundation years - seriously you can get into a decent uni. Ignore the silly comments ...

ReputationRep:
    I don't really mind aslong as I can come away with a degree in the end
    (Original post by 0lut0)
    There are some foundation courses that accept DDD but you have to do a foundation year so 1 year of learning the basics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomaso_98)
    Yeah thought as much to be honest. I have been to uni before but dropped out due to disliking the course got an unconditional offer hense my grades sliding way down
    Is there no way of you explaining this to a university or resitting your final year?

ReputationRep:
    No as I was in uni last year and was getting 60% in ysj uni and my grades are so low as I'd an unconditional offer and just didn't care after I accepted the offer
    You certainly need to be getting hold of the records from your old university with your exam scores, showing you can stand the pace.

ReputationRep:
    Final year of university or a levels?
    (Original post by NiamhWilliams24)
    Is there no way of you explaining this to a university or resitting your final year?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't come down to that though university would be looking at my grades? They wouldn't care if I was able to keep up at the uni I went to as it wouldn't have anything to do with them or their course. That's what I thought anyways
    (Original post by Ringstone)
    You certainly need to be getting hold of the records from your old university with your exam scores, showing you can stand the pace.

ReputationRep:
    Final year of university or a levels?
    A-Levels, I go to a college for my sixth form and we're given the option to stay another year to resit the A2 exams again. Maybe you could enrol somewhere similar or maybe going onto a foundation course would be better suited?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't even know that was a thing haha. I can call my local college like but don't think they do that in northern Ireland
    (Original post by NiamhWilliams24)
    A-Levels, I go to a college for my sixth form and we're given the option to stay another year to resit the A2 exams again. Maybe you could enrol somewhere similar or maybe going onto a foundation course would be better suited?

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't come down to that though university would be looking at my grades? They wouldn't care if I was able to keep up at the uni I went to as it wouldn't have anything to do with them or their course. That's what I thought anyways
    To put none too fine a point on it, DDD stinks.
    To be able to show you got an unconditional [and were daft enough to stop working] and then could operate at tertiary level might make someone give you a second look.
    Tesco, every little helps; contextualisation and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Mate I'm asking a question not looking your opinion cause I couldn't care less
    To be able to show you got an unconditional [and were daft enough to stop working] and then could operate at tertiary level might make someone give you a second look.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard about clearing think if all else fails I'll hopefully get something I want through that thank you
    If you are intent on going and know you are capable which given the marks you received in the first year at uni you definently are. Ignore what others have said a levels correlate pretty poorly with degree classifcation that people attain anyway. For instance I know some people who got AAA+ and did horrendous and like my friend people who didn't do great and went on to kill it. But there's many routes from access courses to foundation to clearing don't worry about it =)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I'll apply for a few course and see how it goes if I don't get any offers hopefully clearing will get me something. I know people that where in my uni that got BBB and failed first year so I'm not worried
    (Original post by Anagogic)
    If you are intent on going and know you are capable which given the marks you received in the first year at uni you definently are. Ignore what others have said a levels correlate pretty poorly with degree classifcation that people attain anyway. For instance I know some people who got AAA+ and did horrendous and like my friend people who didn't do great and went on to kill it. But there's many routes from access courses to foundation to clearing don't worry about it =)

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.