Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Parents don't want me to go to Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Im making this post to see if any others are going through this situation.

Im currently in a degree apprenticeship in IT, one day a week at Uni, 4 days at work, degree is paid for by employers etc.

Its a good opportunity, but I'm really not enjoying it, and dont see myself doing the 4 year stretch, and I want a change. I want to do a course in Media, I currently have 1 position available (just need to send my certificates) and in interview for another one, which is the main course I want.

My parents really don't want me to go to University, they want me to finish this 4 years and then do whatever, but I'm really not enjoying it, and I'm falling behind because of difficulty of the course ( as alot of the subjects are squeezed into 1 day a week ) and lack of motivation, I really want to pursue this full time course.

Every time I tell my parents about it, they just say that Im not going, or they don't want me to go, the debt, how i change my mind too often etc. And its making me second guess myself, and I feel pretty down about it. Im stressed because I don't want them to worry, and I don't want to damage my relationship with my parents, If i came home to visit, I'd want to be welcomed and not feeling distant because they didnt approve of my choice.

Anyone going through a similar situation or has any advice on how to stay motivated and pursue this course?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    What course do you want to do at uni? Is it media? Find out the exact reason why your parents don’t want you to go, maybe it’s because they think that going to university might not help you and in fact will ruin your current career or something. Ask them exactly why and also what course are you doing at what university? That makes a difference, some courses are honestly not worth doing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack33102)
    Hi, Im making this post to see if any others are going through this situation.

Im currently in a degree apprenticeship in IT, one day a week at Uni, 4 days at work, degree is paid for by employers etc.

Its a good opportunity, but I'm really not enjoying it, and dont see myself doing the 4 year stretch, and I want a change. I want to do a course in Media, I currently have 1 position available (just need to send my certificates) and in interview for another one, which is the main course I want.

My parents really don't want me to go to University, they want me to finish this 4 years and then do whatever, but I'm really not enjoying it, and I'm falling behind because of difficulty of the course ( as alot of the subjects are squeezed into 1 day a week ) and lack of motivation, I really want to pursue this full time course.

Every time I tell my parents about it, they just say that Im not going, or they don't want me to go, the debt, how i change my mind too often etc. And its making me second guess myself, and I feel pretty down about it. Im stressed because I don't want them to worry, and I don't want to damage my relationship with my parents, If i came home to visit, I'd want to be welcomed and not feeling distant because they didnt approve of my choice.

Anyone going through a similar situation or has any advice on how to stay motivated and pursue this course?

Thanks.
    Do they not want you to go to university, or do they not want you to do media?
    Take a look at the LEO [Longitudinal Educational Outcomes] statistics at the courses and institutions underwater against average earnings - with three years of career progression wasted and a whacking great student debt.
    Be careful with your choices, but only you can make them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peeked)
    What course do you want to do at uni? Is it media? Find out the exact reason why your parents don’t want you to go, maybe it’s because they think that going to university might not help you and in fact will ruin your current career or something. Ask them exactly why and also what course are you doing at what university? That makes a difference, some courses are honestly not worth doing.
    I want to do a course in Film Production, which taught at a good location and allows you to get hands on experience as its taught at a real studio, It incorporates areas of interest that I have in my spare time, such as cinematography and editing, and also has a technological side to it aswell.

They dont want me to go to university because what I have now is comfortable and a good opportunity, but I simply dont enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ringstone)
    Do they not want you to go to university, or do they not want you to do media?
    Take a look at the LEO [Longitudinal Educational Outcomes] statistics at the courses and institutions underwater against average earnings - with three years of career progression wasted and a whacking great student debt.
    Be careful with your choices, but only you can make them.
    They just want me to carry on doing this as I am earning money, but I just want to puruse something I am actually interested in.

ReputationRep:
    They just want me to carry on doing this as I am earning money, but I just want to puruse something I am actually interested in.
    The long term "cunning plan" being?
    You're in a scheme with some prospects now - even if it is hard work and you find it hardly riveting, but what are you going to do with the notorious media studies degree?
    Your life, your choice; but the consequences last a lifetime.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    It's not your parents decision, it's yours. And in my view anyone who thinks the finances are a reason to not go don't understand the system well enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ringstone)
    The long term "cunning plan" being?
    You're in a scheme with some prospects now - even if it is hard work and you find it hardly riveting, but what are you going to do with the notorious media studies degree?
    Your life, your choice; but the consequences last a lifetime.
    The degree is in Film Produciton, and its at BBC media city, so you get a lot of hands on experience and insight to the industry, I want a career in production, as its a hobby of mine and interests me, I also create videos in my spare time, and have done for years.

I dont see myself with a career in IT, even though this course is a good opportunity, IT isnt a passion of mine as it used to be.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.