Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Every week I've calculated I use less than £1 a day to eat.

Here's how I've done it

On the 1st of February, I went to Gallions Reach (large outdoor retail area)
    I bought;
    1. 2 packs ASDA Chef's Value Medium Eggs (30) for £6.00
    2. 2 packets Heinz Beans 4 pack for £4.00 (or Branston - generally same price)
    3. 6 packets of LIDL 15 slice bread for £3.00
    4. Coffee granules - Tesco Smartprice for £1.25
    5. Mr Naga, Chilli 500g for £2.00
    6. Onions 30 pack for £1.80

In total, this month I've spent about £18.00

And how do I consume all of this?

Every day I wake up at 5AM.

I don't bathe straight away but I head downstairs, take clothes out the machine, put new ones in, hang the old clothes.

I turn the kettle on and it's about 5.10AM

I make coffee and I go to the table and do some work.

When it reaches 5.45AM - I bathe and get half ready. I wear my vest, my skirt, my tights and my shoes and then I iron my shirt and blazer (depends on day).

I turn the cooker on and I start to chop 1 whole onion, this is essential.
    Then I get 2 eggs and mix them with the whole onion.
    You'd probably want to have salt in your house.

I fry the eggs and then I scramble them. I cut them in the pan.
    Meanwhile, I'm using 1/3 of a heinz bean can and I'm warming it.
    After its warm, I put some chilli in it (mr naga or encona).

I put the chilli beans into the ban and I mix the egg up.

Afterwards, I'd then leave it to get cool for about 5 minutes while I get my book sorted.

Once my books/bag is sorted and the egg beans are cool I start to make the toast. I use about 4 breads in a day. I don't buy 6 packets at once too. 2 every week for £1

I then put the eggs and beans stuff onto my toast, I cut the bread into half so I have 4 halfs. I eat 1 half in the morning while I drink coffee, then I go to school.

I eat the other half at break.

I eat the remaining whole at lunch.

I end up spending about 90p a day on food while my school charges a ridiculous amount - £2.50 for lunch.

Essentially I save alot and I'm currently actually using this method right now! I have used this since November (but not on Nov.4 or Nov.25 when I was in central london and went to mcdonalds, also on dec 9th I went to winter wonderland and spent £5 on churros) but during school. I 100% always do this.

Share your CHEAP student meals and I'll probably copy yours if I can.

ReputationRep:
    Do you do this because you are low on cash or because your frugal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEN20041)
    Do you do this because you are low on cash or because your frugal?
    I'm saving up, I also don't see why I should spend so much on food when I don't have a pencil case/highlighters etc

ReputationRep:
    Well I go to the gym, so I need to consume way more than that, otherwise I would just end being skinny again.

So your plan is a flop unfortunately, and only works for skinny people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    I approve of this good sir/madam.

ReputationRep:

Here's how I've done it

I bought;

I don't bathe straight away but I head downstairs, take clothes out the machine, put new ones in, hang the old clothes.

When it reaches 5.45AM - I bathe and get half ready. I wear my vest, my skirt, my tights and my shoes and then I iron my shirt and blazer (depends on day).

Afterwards, I'd then leave it to get cool for about 5 minutes while I get my book sorted.

Once my books/bag is sorted and the egg beans are cool I start to make the toast. I use about 4 breads in a day. I don't buy 6 packets at once too. 2 every week for £1

I then put the eggs and beans stuff onto my toast, I cut the bread into half so I have 4 halfs. I eat 1 half in the morning while I drink coffee, then I go to school.

I end up spending about 90p a day on food while my school charges a ridiculous amount - £2.50 for lunch.

Essentially I save alot and I'm currently actually using this method right now! I have used this since November (but not on Nov.4 or Nov.25 when I was in central london and went to mcdonalds, also on dec 9th I went to winter wonderland and spent £5 on churros) but during school. I 100% always do this.

This isn't a balanced diet - you should try and get some cheap fruit & veg in there or you'll end up with scurvy. Carrots, broccoli, apples and bananas tend to be cheap but you can also see what you can get at the end of the day from the market/supermarket discounted. If you have a freezer frozen peas etc are always reliable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    This isn't a balanced diet - you should try and get some cheap fruit & veg in there or you'll end up with scurvy. Carrots, broccoli, apples and bananas tend to be cheap but you can also see what you can get at the end of the day from the market/supermarket discounted. If you have a freezer frozen peas etc are always reliable.
    I have frozen peas in the frezeer but I never take it to school.
    You're right though. my diet isn't balanced. Just water eggs and bread lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikasadoge)
    I approve of this good sir/madam.
    Yep! Mr Naga is a real one

ReputationRep:
    I have frozen peas in the frezeer but I never take it to school.
    You're right though. my diet isn't balanced. Just water eggs and bread lol
    What about your evening meal? Do you get some veggies then? Need that 5 a day!

ReputationRep:
    What about your evening meal? Do you get some veggies then? Need that 5 a day!
    I don't honestly

ReputationRep:
    I don't honestly
    You should, it's so cheap to bulk out meals with - my go to broke meal is rice, frozen peas and frozen sweetcorn haha, or for breakfast ultra cheap porridge oats (make up with water) and a banana sliced in for some flavour

ReputationRep:
    You should, it's so cheap to bulk out meals with - my go to broke meal is rice, frozen peas and frozen sweetcorn haha, or for breakfast ultra cheap porridge oats (make up with water) and a banana sliced in for some flavour
    how cheap is it?
    where do you get the items from?
    does it take long to cook; can you batch-produce? (e.g i pre-make the egg and beans mix and use it for 3 days max)

ReputationRep:

Here's how I've done it

I bought;

Two halves and a whole? Do you mean you make the meal again and eat it all for dinner?

I wonder how many calories that comes to per day. I cutting down to 1400 a day in total and I feel hunger pain, do you feel full with this?

Are you doing this because you don’t have the money to eat differently? If so there may be financial support available to you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds yummy!

ReputationRep:
    But i'm not broke. I physically can't afford school meals so I make my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lepidolite)
    Two halves and a whole? Do you mean you make the meal again and eat it all for dinner?

I wonder how many calories that comes to per day. I cutting down to 1400 a day in total and I feel hunger pain, do you feel full with this?

Are you doing this because you don’t have the money to eat differently? If so there may be financial support available to you
    Dinner I eat normally. This is just for school. I think one of the first things I do when I get home is eat something/change etc

ReputationRep:
    how cheap is it?
    where do you get the items from?
    does it take long to cook; can you batch-produce? (e.g i pre-make the egg and beans mix and use it for 3 days max)
    1kg oats is 75p (20 servings - 4p per serving) which I microwave for about 2 mins. Bananas are 76p per kilo.
    You can't batch cook rice really because you have to be careful about reheating it but it takes 10 mins max to just boil rice then add frozen veggies for the last few mins. From Tesco 1kg rice is 45p which it says is 13 servings, 900g frozen peas is 80p (11 servings) and 907g frozen corn is £1 (11 servings). So let's say you give yourself extra rice and make 11 servings out of all of it, that's 20p a serving. Also 1kg of carrots is 47p or you can buy tins of peas, carrots, corn, tomatoes, fruit etc for less than 50p each and they do two servings. I buy tinned peaches quite a lot - 2 serving can is 35p.
    If you want to save money from your budget to add some of this stuff in then get own brand beans! Tesco value ones are only 25p a can, so that would be half what you paid for Heinz.

Dinner I eat normally. This is just for school. I think one of the first things I do when I get home is eat something/change etc
    But i'm not broke. I physically can't afford school meals so I make my own.
    If you're still at school do you live with your parents/guardians?

ReputationRep:
    1kg oats is 75p (20 servings - 4p per serving) which I microwave for about 2 mins. Bananas are 76p per kilo.
    You can't batch cook rice really because you have to be careful about reheating it but it takes 10 mins max to just boil rice then add frozen veggies for the last few mins. From Tesco 1kg rice is 45p which it says is 13 servings, 900g frozen peas is 80p (11 servings) and 907g frozen corn is £1 (11 servings). So let's say you give yourself extra rice and make 11 servings out of all of it, that's 20p a serving. Also 1kg of carrots is 47p or you can buy tins of peas, carrots, corn, tomatoes, fruit etc for less than 50p each and they do two servings. I buy tinned peaches quite a lot - 2 serving can is 35p.
    If you want to save money from your budget to add some of this stuff in then get own brand beans! Tesco value ones are only 25p a can, so that would be half what you paid for Heinz.

If you're still at school do you live with your parents/guardians?

I'll try this in three weeks + Tesco beans aren't nice.
    I prefer branston or heinz.

ReputationRep:
    I'll try this in three weeks + Tesco beans aren't nice.
    I prefer branston or heinz.
    Have you checked if you're eligible for free school meals?

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked if you're eligible for free school meals?
    I am. But this goes backto my first post. I don't like the food the school makes and I prefer this much more.
    If I could, I'd eat baked beans, eggs and toast everyday.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.