Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello Earthlings (something my PRS teacher says as we aren’t allowed to be called girls),

So although I’m against getting a tutor, I decided that to improve I need to know how and I don’t feel I’m getting the support I need for English. I’ve been invited to English Language revision sessions, which my teacher highly recommends I go to! In the mocks for English Language and Literature I got 68 and 69 respectively, so I was 1 mark off a level 7, but my aim is a solid level 8.

I met with my tutor today and I know that if I can improve the clarity of my writing and find a way to plan effectively, I can definitely achieve an 8. She says I have good ideas and know my stuff, but I really need to plan and in every piece of work I do, I constantly * things to add more info. Also I’m going to start ready ‘better texts’, I love books including: Alex Rider, the Selection Series, the Throne of Glass. But these books aren’t going to improve my vocabulary. She recommended ‘The Women in Black’, has anyone read this?

I’ve decided that I also need to redo some of my notes, especially in Pride and Prejudice, Much Ado About Nothing and An Inspector Calls. I need to organise them by character and theme, not in chronological order. So I’m also going to reread the books/plays. In English Language I might try to write some really good sentences, phrases, similes, metaphors etc. which I can apply to all pictures in my descriptive writing. And if I have the time, I’ll try to write a language piece every week.

I’ve also signed up for ‘A poem a Day’, our teacher says that reading more poems will help our understanding and it’s better late than never to start. I’m not sure reading more helps as I don’t understand poems and their connotations in the first place, but I’ll give it a go.

The thing I find funny is that I’ve started to tutor someone in Verbal Reasoning for 11+, I find some of the questions hard and it makes me realise how bad my vocabulary is, the lucky kids now have multiple choice, why is my year always unlucky? #guineapigs for new GCSEs!!!

Thank you for following my journey to hopefully all 8/9s.
    P.S. I have a feeling English is going to be a recurring theme in these posts :P
    P.P.S. Physics test together- Yeah!!! *note sarcasm*, we only just had mocks

here's Part 1...
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.