Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am about to go to university and study BA Korean and TESOL with Japanese as a minor. After that I want to study another BA which will be BA Japanese with Film Studies before moving on to MA.

I just wanted to know if there are any other people who studied two BAs and it is normal? I spoke to a teacher who said it was weird and many people don't do this. Are there any positives to studying two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FailingInGeneral)
    I am about to go to university and study BA Korean and TESOL with Japanese as a minor. After that I want to study another BA which will be BA Japanese with Film Studies before moving on to MA.

I just wanted to know if there are any other people who studied two BAs and it is normal? I spoke to a teacher who said it was weird and many people don't do this. Are there any positives to studying two?
    It is certainly not "normal" in that there are not many people who have two BAs. I have come across this in the past, but only once and, in this case, the lady in question had studied one thing - I don't remember what - and then, many years later, decided she wanted to become a doctor and had to start from scratch. So it was a complete change of direction.

In your case, it's a major and a minor language, followed by majoring in the previous minor language. Plus "film studies" and a qualification in teaching English as a foreign language.

If I were an employer, I would ask: "What are you actually trying to achieve?" Consider these questions:

If you want to do an MA in Japanese and film studies, why not start with that in the first place?

If your first BA with the Japanese minor is "ab initio" Japanese as a preparation for the second BA, then why not simply do a year's intensive Japanese, maybe in Japan?

How is a degree in Korean and teaching English going to help your MA?

If your aim is to have qualifications in the two languages, why not study Korean and Japanese as a joint Honours degree?

From what you say, I cannot see that there are many positives in having two BAs - the main danger being that you will simply give the impression that you lack focus and direction. It will also cost you a huge amount of money, and I cannot imagine that it will give you an increased salary when you start work, because salary scales are generally not flexible enough to do that.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't do it if you really want to and can provide good reasons for this particular study path! The very fact that it is not "normal" can be a positive thing in itself provided that you can justify your choices.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

You realise that you won't get funding for a second BA, do you have £40,000 + living costs to pay for it?

ReputationRep:

As other poster said, it won't look good to employers because 1) you are demonstrating that you have no clear focus in what you want to do, and 2) it will look like an attempt to avoid the working world for as long as possible (people at my uni have admitted that this was the main reason for taking a MA for example).

The only people I know who have done two undergraduate degrees wanted to retrain in a healthcare field, and this is an exempt area that allows you to be funded for both degrees.

You will need to self-fund your 2nd BA, which would be almost impossible unless you have loads of savings. It does seem like a waste of money though; most people just commit to one degree course and have done with it. You must have a leaning towards one of the BAs more than the other, so go with that one. Anything you don't study you can always teach yourself/do short courses in without committing to two degrees.

ReputationRep:
    My dad has two BSc degrees... But he did the first one straight out of school, and then did the second one in his 40s (part time through the OU while working). He didn't set out planning to do two.

What are you hoping to get out of doing these two degrees? Why not do BA Korean and Japanese, and a separate TESOL qualification if you need one? I don't know much about Asian language courses, but most European language courses have (optional) film modules anyway, from my experience.

You might also find it hard to get a place on a BA Japanese course if you already have a BA including a minor in Japanese. Not to mention the self-funding which others have pointed out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.