Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone else hate Harry Potter? watch

ReputationRep:
    I dislike Harry Potter, the character. He's a whiny, mostly incompetent, emo kid whose fate is determined almost entirely by his good luck -- from the cradle, quite literally.

E.g., why the **** was he even a good seeker? he hadn't practised ****, he just hopped on the broom and stuff happened. His father was a great seeker too so good genes I guess. That's Harry in a nutshell. Good genes, 0 effort. As a character, he ruins children's view of what's important in life.

But I like Hermione and Ron (the former is a badass witch (even if she turns Harry-like emo sometimes) and the latter is a loyal friend). I LOVE Snape, Lupin and Black (for obvious reasons). Even Voldemort is cool. Generally, loads of good characters.

I do love the HP world but god damn, Harry's ****.

ReputationRep:
    I just found it all so boring, both books and movies.
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this opinion.

ReputationRep:
    7 books later and 8 films later,I found out that hermoine was black.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I dont hate it but it's massively overrated

ReputationRep:
    my childhood feels personally attacked by this post

ReputationRep:
    The books are definitely boring. The films are OK I guess, but not really worth watching more than once.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think the books suck and don't even get me started on the bloody films haha

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I also don't like it at all

ReputationRep:
    In what ways are the books poorly written? J. K. Rowling develops the characters immensely well and the way in which she emerges you into her magical world is pretty unrivalled in my opinion. The books are abundant in well written descriptive language, yet they're also easy to read; I fail to see why you think they're poorly written.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate it but it's never appealed to me personally.

and I thought it was odd tbh how much adults got into it as an adult [who didn't grow up reading it]
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't like fantasy books, magic and all that stuff, so it's never interested me. My friends knew I had never read the books, seen the films or anything yet still tried to get me to take the quiz to find out what house I was in. Seemed a bit pointless really. They kept telling me how I was like this or that and tried to get me to react to it but I have no idea what they're talking about so I had no reaction.

It's the same with things like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings etc. Anything magical or sci-fi or fantasy just puts me off. I can't get into the world of it. And it's a little odd the amount of people who follow it like a religion. Calm down, it's just a few books. Sure, appreciate the story but it's a bit much if you start being aggressive to people who have a different opinion to you.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT!?!!?

omg they should've used a black actress in the movies, it would have been amazing

ReputationRep:
    Well Harry Potter was mainly written for a pretty young, pre-teen audience. It might not be for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really hate it per se, more like I really don't care about it

ReputationRep:
    the author of the harry potter works donated £1 million to the labour party :puke:...

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter was basically my childhood, but now that I’m older and look back the plot is so unrealistic and patchy in parts, definitely the work of an average author. Still, it satisfied the deep love I have for concepts to do with magic etc.

As I got older I transitioned to LotR, as it’s a much more sophisticated, complex and mature magical world.

ReputationRep:
    I read the first 2-3 books, thought it was okay but each book seemed to follow the same cycle as the rest. Didn't like the inconsistency with regards to magical powers. Thought JK done a good job at creating this ficticious world of potter and hogwarts. Seems to romanticise the uk public school. Can see why school-kids will find it as escapisim from their dreary school life. Never paid much attention to the films.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think they're great. When I was a kid I remember not liking the openings of the books, where Harry spends sometimes hundreds of pages before even making it to Hogwarts, but for the most part I loved them. As an adult I appreciate some aspects of the stories that were lost on me as a kid, like the parallels between the issues of the wizarding world and our own society's problems, and that adds an additional layer of enjoyment.

At the moment I'm reading my way through the Philosopher's Stone but this time in Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    snape was the only good character
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    :puppyeyes: Reading this thread hurts.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.