Applying for Computing Access to HE. What would i need to get to get into a top uni? Watch

jaylfc99
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
What would i need to get to get into a top uni? What can i do about funding for the course? any other advise would be appreciated
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by jaylfc99)
What would i need to get to get into a top uni? What can i do about funding for the course? any other advise would be appreciated
Depends what you mean by top Uni.
the normal way is for you to look at the entrance criteria for the course you wish to apply for.

Offers are expressed in terms of 45 credits made up of 15 units of 3 credits each at level 3. You are probably looking at 45 distinction credits needed for the likes of Manchester and Warwick.

Funding is via advanced learner loan
https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Look at this page
http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/F...s/Default.aspx
Notoriety
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Often Access students have difficulty getting on to STEM (including CS), as the L3 maths components of Access are not equivalent to A-Level maths or FM. They combat this by taking Access and one A-Level in maths at the same time.

Take Manchester:

Applications are considered on an individual basis, e.g. additional educational achievements, life experience and skills. Please contact the University for further information. Our standard academic requirements include 60 credits with 45 at Level 3. Minimum of 40 credits should be with a Distinction grade (15 of which must be in mathematics), plus 15 credits with a Merit grade in a science-related subject. Students are also required to have a grade A in A-level mathematics with a pure element.
But not all decent unis require an A-Level in maths. See Nottingham's entry requirements.
Last edited by Notoriety; 8 months ago
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (685)
90.85%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (69)
9.15%

Watched Threads