Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying for Computing Access to HE. What would i need to get to get into a top uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What would i need to get to get into a top uni? What can i do about funding for the course? any other advise would be appreciated
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jaylfc99)
    What would i need to get to get into a top uni? What can i do about funding for the course? any other advise would be appreciated
    Depends what you mean by top Uni.
    the normal way is for you to look at the entrance criteria for the course you wish to apply for.

Offers are expressed in terms of 45 credits made up of 15 units of 3 credits each at level 3. You are probably looking at 45 distinction credits needed for the likes of Manchester and Warwick.

Funding is via advanced learner loan
    https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

Look at this page
    http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Access/F...s/Default.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Often Access students have difficulty getting on to STEM (including CS), as the L3 maths components of Access are not equivalent to A-Level maths or FM. They combat this by taking Access and one A-Level in maths at the same time.

Take Manchester:

Applications are considered on an individual basis, e.g. additional educational achievements, life experience and skills. Please contact the University for further information. Our standard academic requirements include 60 credits with 45 at Level 3. Minimum of 40 credits should be with a Distinction grade (15 of which must be in mathematics), plus 15 credits with a Merit grade in a science-related subject. Students are also required to have a grade A in A-level mathematics with a pure element.
    But not all decent unis require an A-Level in maths. See Nottingham's entry requirements.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.