Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

PPE at Oxford or History and Politics at Cambridge watch

So I'm sort of stuck in a dilemma choosing between the two Oxbridge giants. My primary interest is in politics, hence why I've considered PPE and H&P at Oxford and Cam respectively. I would lean towards Oxford since I'm a relatively maths-oriented person and I like the idea of using maths in philosophy and economics. However, I feel less confident in proving genuine engagement with PPE's constituent fields as opposed to history and politics since ive studied history in school. I've read texts such as The Prince by Machiavelli, The Road to Serfdom by Hayek and The English Constitution by Walther Bagehot, all of which generally revolve around politics. I have started reading John Stuart Mill and 23 things they don't tell you about Capitalism while listening to philosophy podcasts and regularly reading The Economist. My A levels are Maths, Physics, History and English Lit and I have 8 A*s and 1 A at gcse. Although I know this shouldn't be a factor, I've noticed that the PPE admissions rate hovers around 12-14% while history and politics at Cam was just shy of 30% last year. I've visited both and although I prefer Oxford as a town, I actually fell in love with St. John's College Cambridge more than any other Oxbridge college. I basically have this summer left to decide and prepare. Anyone have any advice at all? And would Balliol for PPE be a suicidal choice due to its popularity? Cheers.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.