Turn on thread page Beta

Lying farmers admit to lying about being sent death threats by vegans watch

ReputationRep:
    Following on from the thread 'Farmers have death threats sent by violent vegan' well it turns out this was not actually true and the farmer in question admitted to lying. So would that threads op The RAR like to update that thread and apologise for spreading false anti-vegan propaganda? Would he also like to condemn the farmer for making such a false serious allegation?

ReputationRep:
    Acsel it wasn't actually true. So would you like to take back your comment as well?

ReputationRep:
    could u include a link of this?

ReputationRep:
    source?

ReputationRep:
    What a plot twist 😶
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cman123)
    could u include a link of this?
    t heveganpunk.com/farmer-alison-waugh-lies-vegan-activist-death-threats/

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _rhapsodic)
    source?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hjknlml)
    I've had a look and the article does not appear to have any evidence of her backtracking. It claims she backtracked on her claims of threats and abuse, but the link they provided is to an article in which she does no such thing.

I'll have another closer look when I'm on my laptop instead of my phone, but I'm questioning how reliable that source is.

Edit: Here's the article, and the express article it cites as evidence for its claim that she lied.

https://theveganpunk.com/farmer-alis...death-threats/

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ture-livestock

Read the full articles and see for yourself. It sounds to me like she was talking generally about farmers getting death threats ( "you do get death threats" ). because other farmers she knows have had them, while she herself has had a load of abuse but no specific death threats ( instead getting vague stuff like "I hope you and your family go and die in a hole for what you do" ).

That vegan punk article is sensationalised to extremes the daily mail would be proud of. There is no indication that she lied about death threats, considering she was talking about the farming community generally, and she herself has had other abuse thrown at her. I hate the term "fake news" being thrown around all the time but it definitely seems to fit this "farmers lying about death threats" story, unless something else comes to light.

ReputationRep:
    Apologize? In your dreams, that article looks quite dodgy and the source I have never heard of, I am on my phone right now so I will have a closer look at the article when I am on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ using that source

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I could tell the sad b itch was doing this all for attention.
    Yeah sure, insult me and I will apologize alright
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Acsel it wasn't actually true. So would you like to take back your comment as well?
    Um no? Very few of my comments in the other thread were about this isolated case in particular. I was calling out anyone (in this case any vegans) who use violence, threats, etc. to make their point. And it also makes absolutely no difference to the vegan argument. This "revelation" doesn't make the vegan argument any more or less credible, nor does it change my stance. Vegans can be vegan, that's fine, I don't care. It's not a viewpoint I agree with. The original article never had any relation to my opinions, beyond the whole "people should not be using death threats and violence to make a point". This has not changed so I have no idea why you'd think I'd take back my comment (whichever one you may be referring to).

If anything, the fact you have tagged in a few users and expect them to apologise or take things back, when that thread evolved beyond the content in its OP fairly early on, really hammers home my point. Vegans trying to force the vegan argument on others are nothing more than a nuisance.

Literally nothing has changed here, beyond one person making a claim and then retracting that claim. For all we know she could come out next week and say vegans were harassing her so much that she wanted to retract the claim to avoid further confrontation. We no longer have (and never really had) sufficient information to determine what is correct in this case. And that's fine, because the other thread was basically people calling out vegans who use these methods and a few angry vegans trying to force their opinions on others. So don't you want to take that back? Because I suspect you won't.

I won't even go into whether we can trust your vegan source, because that's a whole can of bias

ReputationRep:
    Ok I read this article and I can say it's really dodgy and biased indeed, first of all the guy who wrote the article is a vegan idiot himself, like he even posted a picture of himself with his face covered like a thug, just like those vegan idiots in that article of mine that were threatening the farmers. I had a look closer at some other articles and she said that there were other farmers that did receive death threats, so that article doesn't change anything and my point still stands that farmers did indeed receive death threats. You only have one article written by a pro vegan like idiot which is pretty biased to back up your point while in my case I have several articles to back up my point from well known sources, even if the trainee farmer did lie about receiving death threats other farmers still received death threats and insults so it doesn't change a thing.
    Stop making new accounts in order to try and spread your vegan propaganda or to try and prove me wrong in a pathetic way, I know you are that same guy who posted insults on my PM, who would be sad enough to take that thread of mine that seriously that they have to go on google and type in something like "Farmers admit to lying about receiving death threats" make a whole new thread about it and then insult me about it? I pity you

ReputationRep:
    Imagine using "theveganpunk" as your source.
    I mean the fact the website is called "thevegan" tells me it is biased in favour of vegans.
    I'm not clicking that link or changing my stance because I know that there will be a vegan hypocritical of themselves somewhere; sending death threats to big farmers and those who work in the industry.
    My source?
    https://www.rt.com/uk/417288-farmer-...tivist-threat/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Ok I read this article and I can say it's really dodgy and biased indeed, first of all the guy who wrote the article is a vegan idiot himself, like he even posted a picture of himself with his face covered like a thug, just like those vegan idiots in that article of mine that were threatening the farmers. I had a look closer at some other articles and she said that there were other farmers that did receive death threats, so that article doesn't change anything and my point still stands that farmers did indeed receive death threats. You only have one article written by a pro vegan like idiot which is pretty biased to back up your point while in my case I have several articles to back up my point from well known sources, even if the trainee farmer did lie about receiving death threats other farmers still received death threats and insults so it doesn't change a thing.
    Stop making new accounts in order to try and spread your vegan propaganda or to try and prove me wrong in a pathetic way, I know you are that same guy who posted insults on my PM, who would be sad enough to take that thread of mine that seriously that they have to go on google and type in something like "Farmers admit to lying about receiving death threats" make a whole new thread about it and then insult me about it? I pity you
    She has admitted that she hasn’t personally received any death threats “I’ve not had people making specific death threats towards me but I certainly know people who have received really horrible threats just for being farmers.” - https://www.express.co.uk/life-style...ture-livestock

It doesn’t make all her points irrelevant though. There are definitely some very aggressive angry vegans out there, and I wouldn’t put it past them to go as far as what has been claimed. I would like to see some evidence to back up the claims though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    It doesn’t make all her points irrelevant though. There are definitely some very aggressive angry vegans out there, and I wouldn’t put it past them to go as far as what has been claimed. I would like to see some evidence to back up the claims though.
    I'm not saying any of these sources are representative, or perfectly unbiased, or any of the other things that someone will no doubt claim but:

Described as ethical extortion and blackmail

Human Branding

"They’ve threatened to get my children from school and then torture them like we supposedly torture animals"

Vegans claiming that the vegan diet makes people less aggressive, article describes some complete opposites to this

The thing is, you don't have to look too hard on the internet to find something that backs up an opinion you hold. It can be right or wrong but somewhere there is bound to be an article that agrees with you. People need to stop using things written on the internet as evidence. A quick Google search for violent vegans, angry vegans, etc will pull up plenty of sources that put vegans in a poor light. A search for murderous farmers will do the same for meat eaters. Neither is categorically more appropriate than the other. Vegans will look for info that backs up their claims, meat eaters will look for evidence that backs up their claims. Since most people in these conversations are not actually experts, it is somewhat difficult to correctly determine where that evidence actually is. Because you can Google something and you'll get an article that backs you up.

So really it comes down to pure opinion. Whether you enjoy eating meat, whether you think humans, animals, plants, etc. all stand on the same moral level and so on. It is really nothing but opinion at this point with both sides providing their own biased articles as "evidence". So really these discussions serve no purpose because they always devolve into angry vegans trying to convince meat eaters why they're wrong. The majority of meat eaters don't care, the majority of vegans are not activists and it's simply a shouting match between the angry vegans and the people who can be bothered to reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I'm not saying any of these sources are representative, or perfectly unbiased, or any of the other things that someone will no doubt claim but:

Described as ethical extortion and blackmail

Human Branding

"They’ve threatened to get my children from school and then torture them like we supposedly torture animals"

Vegans claiming that the vegan diet makes people less aggressive, article describes some complete opposites to this

The thing is, you don't have to look too hard on the internet to find something that backs up an opinion you hold. It can be right or wrong but somewhere there is bound to be an article that agrees with you. People need to stop using things written on the internet as evidence. A quick Google search for violent vegans, angry vegans, etc will pull up plenty of sources that put vegans in a poor light. A search for murderous farmers will do the same for meat eaters. Neither is categorically more appropriate than the other. Vegans will look for info that backs up their claims, meat eaters will look for evidence that backs up their claims. Since most people in these conversations are not actually experts, it is somewhat difficult to correctly determine where that evidence actually is. Because you can Google something and you'll get an article that backs you up.

So really it comes down to pure opinion. Whether you enjoy eating meat, whether you think humans, animals, plants, etc. all stand on the same moral level and so on. It is really nothing but opinion at this point with both sides providing their own biased articles as "evidence". So really these discussions serve no purpose because they always devolve into angry vegans trying to convince meat eaters why they're wrong. The majority of meat eaters don't care, the majority of vegans are not activists and it's simply a shouting match between the angry vegans and the people who can be bothered to reply.
    Agreed, a lot of the vegan-meat eater chat is just who can make who the most angry. Media is so opinionated that it’s hard to get a reliable report that isn’t bias one way or the other. We trust sources that support our opinions and say the others are wrong but really most of us aren’t professionals in either field and just want our voices heard. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, a lot of the vegan-meat eater chat is just who can make who the most angry. Media is so opinionated that it’s hard to get a reliable report that isn’t bias one way or the other. We trust sources that support our opinions and say the others are wrong but really most of us aren’t professionals in either field and just want our voices heard. :no:
    Trust me, I don't care much about this topic but this guy is the one who tagged me in and insulted me about it, at the end of day you can be vegan or a meat eater, is your choice really and I don't see anything wrong with either option
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I guess at the most basic level it's like a cry for attention. Most meat eaters don't care what vegans do. Most vegans don't care what meat eaters do. Most people respect other people's opinions, even if they don't agree. As The RAR says below, there are many different opinions and none of them are wrong per se, we are all free to hold whichever opinion you want. But you get people like our OP, the vocal ones in the gay Disney princess thread and so on that like to create the "drama", rather than simply letting people get on with their lives. Where vegans, religion, gender or any other controversial topic is involved there's always going to be a very small number of highly opinionated but often ill informed individuals who simply want attention. They feel the need to argue rather than allowing natural conversation. And that's quite sad really, it's a very "online" behaviour.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.