The Student Room Group

Lying farmers admit to lying about being sent death threats by vegans

Following on from the thread 'Farmers have death threats sent by violent vegan' well it turns out this was not actually true and the farmer in question admitted to lying. So would that threads op @The RAR like to update that thread and apologise for spreading false anti-vegan propaganda? Would he also like to condemn the farmer for making such a false serious allegation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it wasn't actually true. So would you like to take back your comment as well?
Reply 2
could u include a link of this?
source?
Reply 4
What a plot twist 😶
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by cman123
could u include a link of this?

t heveganpunk.com/farmer-alison-waugh-lies-vegan-activist-death-threats/
Reply 6
Reply 7
Original post by _rhapsodic
source?

Original post by hjknlml

I've had a look and the article does not appear to have any evidence of her backtracking. It claims she backtracked on her claims of threats and abuse, but the link they provided is to an article in which she does no such thing.

I'll have another closer look when I'm on my laptop instead of my phone, but I'm questioning how reliable that source is.

Edit: Here's the article, and the express article it cites as evidence for its claim that she lied.

https://theveganpunk.com/farmer-alison-waugh-lies-vegan-activist-death-threats/

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/915596/young-farmer-militant-vegans-alison-waugh-northumberland-agriculture-livestock

Read the full articles and see for yourself. It sounds to me like she was talking generally about farmers getting death threats ( "you do get death threats" ). because other farmers she knows have had them, while she herself has had a load of abuse but no specific death threats ( instead getting vague stuff like "I hope you and your family go and die in a hole for what you do" ).

That vegan punk article is sensationalised to extremes the daily mail would be proud of. There is no indication that she lied about death threats, considering she was talking about the farming community generally, and she herself has had other abuse thrown at her. I hate the term "fake news" being thrown around all the time but it definitely seems to fit this "farmers lying about death threats" story, unless something else comes to light.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Apologize? In your dreams, that article looks quite dodgy and the source I have never heard of, I am on my phone right now so I will have a closer look at the article when I am on my laptop
Lol @ using that source
Original post by hjknlml
Not really. I could tell the sad b itch was doing this all for attention.

Yeah sure, insult me and I will apologize alright
Ok I read this article and I can say it's really dodgy and biased indeed, first of all the guy who wrote the article is a vegan idiot himself, like he even posted a picture of himself with his face covered like a thug, just like those vegan idiots in that article of mine that were threatening the farmers. I had a look closer at some other articles and she said that there were other farmers that did receive death threats, so that article doesn't change anything and my point still stands that farmers did indeed receive death threats. You only have one article written by a pro vegan like idiot which is pretty biased to back up your point while in my case I have several articles to back up my point from well known sources, even if the trainee farmer did lie about receiving death threats other farmers still received death threats and insults so it doesn't change a thing.
Stop making new accounts in order to try and spread your vegan propaganda or to try and prove me wrong in a pathetic way, I know you are that same guy who posted insults on my PM, who would be sad enough to take that thread of mine that seriously that they have to go on google and type in something like "Farmers admit to lying about receiving death threats" make a whole new thread about it and then insult me about it? I pity you
(edited 6 years ago)
Imagine using "theveganpunk" as your source.
I mean the fact the website is called "thevegan" tells me it is biased in favour of vegans.
I'm not clicking that link or changing my stance because I know that there will be a vegan hypocritical of themselves somewhere; sending death threats to big farmers and those who work in the industry.
My source?
https://www.rt.com/uk/417288-farmer-vegan-activist-threat/
Original post by The RAR
Ok I read this article and I can say it's really dodgy and biased indeed, first of all the guy who wrote the article is a vegan idiot himself, like he even posted a picture of himself with his face covered like a thug, just like those vegan idiots in that article of mine that were threatening the farmers. I had a look closer at some other articles and she said that there were other farmers that did receive death threats, so that article doesn't change anything and my point still stands that farmers did indeed receive death threats. You only have one article written by a pro vegan like idiot which is pretty biased to back up your point while in my case I have several articles to back up my point from well known sources, even if the trainee farmer did lie about receiving death threats other farmers still received death threats and insults so it doesn't change a thing.
Stop making new accounts in order to try and spread your vegan propaganda or to try and prove me wrong in a pathetic way, I know you are that same guy who posted insults on my PM, who would be sad enough to take that thread of mine that seriously that they have to go on google and type in something like "Farmers admit to lying about receiving death threats" make a whole new thread about it and then insult me about it? I pity you

She has admitted that she hasn’t personally received any death threats “I’ve not had people making specific death threats towards me but I certainly know people who have received really horrible threats just for being farmers.” - https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/915596/young-farmer-militant-vegans-alison-waugh-northumberland-agriculture-livestock

It doesn’t make all her points irrelevant though. There are definitely some very aggressive angry vegans out there, and I wouldn’t put it past them to go as far as what has been claimed. I would like to see some evidence to back up the claims though.
Agreed, a lot of the vegan-meat eater chat is just who can make who the most angry. Media is so opinionated that it’s hard to get a reliable report that isn’t bias one way or the other. We trust sources that support our opinions and say the others are wrong but really most of us aren’t professionals in either field and just want our voices heard. :no:
Original post by cat_mac
Agreed, a lot of the vegan-meat eater chat is just who can make who the most angry. Media is so opinionated that it’s hard to get a reliable report that isn’t bias one way or the other. We trust sources that support our opinions and say the others are wrong but really most of us aren’t professionals in either field and just want our voices heard. :no:

Trust me, I don't care much about this topic but this guy is the one who tagged me in and insulted me about it, at the end of day you can be vegan or a meat eater, is your choice really and I don't see anything wrong with either option
Vegans really aren't "extreme, militant hippies" like people think.
All we are, are compassionate for animals and we want to share that with everyone else and educate them.
People get far too defensive when it comes to their unethical diet.
Vegans, veggies bloody stinky *****

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending