Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gradmedic123)
    Graduates moving into medicine is a very common route for new doctors. You won’t see anywhere near as many graduate nurses or graduate OTs - even so, there are plenty of other routes for them to explore.

I think it’s pretty nonsensical for them to fund the 4 year almost entirely but only fund one year of a standard entry for a graduate. It’s a place that would have been taken by non-graduate, so what’s their logic?
    No, but you see far more mature entry nurses and actually I imagine more do nursing as a second degree than you would think.

And no idea about their logic, but that is the way it is. Plus the NHS only funds the fifth year onwards for undergrads on the 5 year course anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    No, but you see far more mature entry nurses and actually I imagine more do nursing as a second degree than you would think.

And no idea about their logic, but that is the way it is. Plus the NHS only funds the fifth year onwards for undergrads on the 5 year course anyway.
    Oh, really? Okay poor assumption from me.
    Then to be fair it is lucky. The only reason it’s difficult then is because I won’t be able to get a full student loan - and I can’t argue with that.

I’ve heard (not sure how true this is) that it’s possible to negotiate a bit with student finance, if you call them up.
    I may see if it’s possible to get any further funding.

Thanks for the help, though. May I ask what you’re doing?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gradmedic123)
    Oh, really? Okay poor assumption from me.
    Then to be fair it is lucky. The only reason it’s difficult then is because I won’t be able to get a full student loan - and I can’t argue with that.

I’ve heard (not sure how true this is) that it’s possible to negotiate a bit with student finance, if you call them up.
    I may see if it’s possible to get any further funding.

Thanks for the help, though. May I ask what you’re doing?
    There is no negotiating with student finance really. I know that now maintenance loans have increased, some people put that towards funding the fees, but you're still going to need a good chunk of money to pay the remainder of fees and to live on.

I'm just finishing up my final year of GEM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    There is no negotiating with student finance really. I know that now maintenance loans have increased, some people put that towards funding the fees, but you're still going to need a good chunk of money to pay the remainder of fees and to live on.

I'm just finishing up my final year of GEM.
    Cool - good to know. Thankfully I could probably live at home for the 5 year Course, so the maintenance would definitely help.

Brilliant stuff, thanks again.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashaaaal)
    But when applying for the conventional 5 year course, would graduates be in a better position than school-leavers? I hope so!
    They would definitely be in a better position once they get to the interviews I think! I found that some of the questions asked at one of my interviews (for a GEM course but whether UG and GEM were interviewed together) were fairly basic and just so much easier to answer if you've been to University and just generally have more life experience.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2018

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.