Turn on thread page Beta

Keep hearing people insult me watch

This is becoming a big problem. I keep hearing people calling me names. I just got back from a friend's house where people were drinking and I would bet money on them sitting round laughing calling me a fat loser and a freak. My friend who was also there swears they weren't doing this. This happens a lot. I hear people say things, they say they didn't. It's making it hard to do my job in an office - especially on the phone where I have to resist swearing back.

I have a diagnosis of a psychotic illness but I don't know how to know what's real and what's not. My psychiatrist just gives me drug after drug trying to stop the hallucinations but they don't really do much. No coping skills and my psychologist isn't much help either - in fact I thought he told me to do something *bad* a few months ago so I was going to until my friend spoke to him on the phone.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could you maybe give me some better coping strategies than lying in bed crying about getting called a freak? I still don't really know how to tell if everyone is just in on some big game of messing with me.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Yes but unlike you for me it was the medication that was causing my auditory hallucinations, I know how bad it can feel and it got so bad that even the sound of the bus would distort into a person saying horrible things about me and laughing! I don't really have any coping strategies; but try putting on headphones and make sure you can't hear background noise, try listening to people talk like audio books. Don't give a **** about what other people think!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Esme6560)
    Yes but unlike you for me it was the medication that was causing my auditory hallucinations, I know how bad it can feel and it got so bad that even the sound of the bus would distort into a person saying horrible things about me and laughing! I don't really have any coping strategies; but try putting on headphones and make sure you can't hear background noise, try listening to people talk like audio books. Don't give a **** about what other people think!
    Thank you for the reply.

I try earbuds but the loud music is starting to really damage my hearing. I often have to have the telly really loud as well as my phone set on max call volume so I'm worried about keeping listening to loud music.

My friend tells me to repeat to them what I think I heard but I can't do that with strangers or at work on the phone because everyone would think I'm a total weirdo.

I don't know what else to try. Sometimes it makes me really angry at the person who I thought called me names and I don't have a very big social circle so I don't want to fall out with people because I thought they were talking **** about me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for the reply.

I try earbuds but the loud music is starting to really damage my hearing. I often have to have the telly really loud as well as my phone set on max call volume so I'm worried about keeping listening to loud music.

My friend tells me to repeat to them what I think I heard but I can't do that with strangers or at work on the phone because everyone would think I'm a total weirdo.

I don't know what else to try. Sometimes it makes me really angry at the person who I thought called me names and I don't have a very big social circle so I don't want to fall out with people because I thought they were talking **** about me.
    Hmmm try and invest in some noise cancelling headphone instead of putting the volume up to prevent your hearing to become damaged.

I really want to help you because I understand how distressing this can be.

What do the voices say about you? You said you could hear someone saying you were fat loser, the voices could be what you think about yourself maybe? Do you suffer from low self - esteem? Work on the things you don't like about yourself. Try to engage more in social activities, go running, listen to calming music, etc.

Keep a diary of what the voices say, at what time and what triggers them. When they do come on try humming or telling yourself they are not real, they cannot do anything, they have no power of you.
    You could also show this to your psychologist if you're comfortable enough to help them understand.

Once getting anxious from hearing the voices do breathing exercises. Breathe in and out slowly.

Use mindfulness exercises like focus on the present moment when your at work and look around you, what can you see, feel & smell? Look at the objects around you etc.

Try this and hope it helps.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What’s a psychotic illness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    What’s a psychotic illness?
    it is where the person suffers hallucinations & delusions etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it is where the person suffers hallucinations & delusions etc.
    Can you give me an example? Please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    Can you give me an example? Please.
    http://www.minddisorders.com/Flu-Inv...cinations.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is becoming a big problem. I keep hearing people calling me names. I just got back from a friend's house where people were drinking and I would bet money on them sitting round laughing calling me a fat loser and a freak. My friend who was also there swears they weren't doing this. This happens a lot. I hear people say things, they say they didn't. It's making it hard to do my job in an office - especially on the phone where I have to resist swearing back.

I have a diagnosis of a psychotic illness but I don't know how to know what's real and what's not. My psychiatrist just gives me drug after drug trying to stop the hallucinations but they don't really do much. No coping skills and my psychologist isn't much help either - in fact I thought he told me to do something *bad* a few months ago so I was going to until my friend spoke to him on the phone.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could you maybe give me some better coping strategies than lying in bed crying about getting called a freak? I still don't really know how to tell if everyone is just in on some big game of messing with me.

Cheers!
    Start boxing.

Seriously, or another sport. Once you start doing some sport you enjoy, high intensity and you work really hard, you'll feel MUCH more positive and better. I am exactly like you when I'm not training, always when I'm around people and sometimes if only with a few. High intensity training is like magic, you'd be suprised at how much better it can make you feel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.