Turn on thread page Beta

Struggling on the course! Can't get myself to go into uni! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I am a first year student currently studying Fashion. At the start I attended uni regularly. I went to all my lecturers, attended all the workshops, went to all the unnecessary stuff too however, I found myself struggling to keep up with the work. As time went on, I stopped going to Uni because I was waay behind on what we were doing and kinda felt a sort of embarrassment. I got two referrals on my units which caused me to be even more stressed out and fall further behind. I've informed my head of course about it, so she's aware that I am struggling however I seem to still be skipping uni. This isn't a lazy thing, or a "I cant get up in the morning" thing, I physically cannot get my body to go into classes. I get on the bus, go all the way to my university campus and then overthink and go home. I really do want to be on the course, however I am scared that I will be kicked out soon. I was thinking of withdrawing and starting again next year however I feel like Ill just be repeating everything all over again. I've also had some personal issues regarding family matter and suicidal thoughts/depression which I am receiving counselling for. I always feel alone here. I get along with my housemates, but I wouldnt consider them close. I barely leave my room and I do absolutely nothing all day. I have no friends. I'm struggling to make friends and I am way too far to see my family. I don't know what I should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThistleBite)
    So I am a first year student currently studying Fashion. At the start I attended uni regularly. I went to all my lecturers, attended all the workshops, went to all the unnecessary stuff too however, I found myself struggling to keep up with the work. As time went on, I stopped going to Uni because I was waay behind on what we were doing and kinda felt a sort of embarrassment. I got two referrals on my units which caused me to be even more stressed out and fall further behind. I've informed my head of course about it, so she's aware that I am struggling however I seem to still be skipping uni. This isn't a lazy thing, or a "I cant get up in the morning" thing, I physically cannot get my body to go into classes. I get on the bus, go all the way to my university campus and then overthink and go home. I really do want to be on the course, however I am scared that I will be kicked out soon. I was thinking of withdrawing and starting again next year however I feel like Ill just be repeating everything all over again. I've also had some personal issues regarding family matter and suicidal thoughts/depression which I am receiving counselling for. I always feel alone here. I get along with my housemates, but I wouldnt consider them close. I barely leave my room and I do absolutely nothing all day. I have no friends. I'm struggling to make friends and I am way too far to see my family. I don't know what I should do.
    I feel your pain, things have escalated out of your control. it's very difficult trying to cope with depression, but it now sounds like your building up an anxiety about facing your classes. I too have had those issues. it's very difficult to cope with. Just know this suicide is NOT the answer. my family have had 2 suicdes in it, it has left a gaping hole in our lives and the trauma we had to endure is still going on 11 and 6 years after. I can't tell you what works for you, but I can tell you what I did. First I had to talk to someone about not being able to do stuff or go to jobs, I saw a councillor for 6 months, I keep a feelings or worry diary and now I only use it when it's all too much in my head, I changed my pill, the hormones were making things worse! I bought myself a SAD lamp and have it by my bed side every morning for an hour while checking fb etc. and try to do one positive thing a day. like yes I did that even though I was not able to do that today, little steps add up. I'm still recovering from depression, but I can see the light now. I think you need to tell people that you are struggling and that you need their help. hope this helps xx keep strong xx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.