Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I'm in a fix and I need some help. I have offers from both Newcastle upon Tyne and Loughborough university for undergrad Media and Communication. (well in Newcastle its Combined honours but thats the subject I'll choose). I'm confused regarding which one to firm.

I'm an Indian so I'd like the place to have good cultural diversity. Apart from that if anyone can tell me how the course is? the lectures? opportunities for creativity? the atmosphere? the night life? also the weather (I'm a litttle cold intolerant so) is it too cold throughout the year? is a closed campus better or an open campus? hows the food (I am hoping to get a catered accomodation) ? hows the room?

Literally anything you can tell me which will help me decide which uni to choose.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, even I’d like to know about this. Subbing.

ReputationRep:
    I hope I can lend a hand! I'm from around Newcastle and I go to college there and I can tell you it's a lovely city!

The city is very diverse no matter where you go and we have a big China town section, restaurants of all cusines all over. I've never really come across anyone in Newcastle that has been unkind and it's generally just a nice atmosphere.

You'll find nothing in the city is really out of walking distance from the university but if you can't be bothered to walk you can get the bus or metro! The uni is in a fantastic place, just across the road from the main bus station, high street and main shopping center which are both very student friendly (Eldon Square often has student nights for discounts and eat4less is a great cheap lunch place on the main street). We have normal markets and christmas markets on the next street over quite often which always have nice food and is great to just look around.

There's an endless amount of pubs and clubs wherever you go so nightlife is no issue and, again, are not far from the uni. For other kinds of entertainment the uni is right next to a museum, there's a number of small and large art galleries in the city, the center for life is a science exhibition of sorts but runs events like drag shows, ice rinks, pantomimes just to name a few! There's the theatre royal if you're more into plays and musicals or the metro radio and o2 academy for concerts and shows. There's honestly endless things to keep you entertained!

Up north, however, we are not known for great weather. We tend to get a lot of cold-mild temperatures but we can also get really hot weather too! Recently it's been a lot of snow and temperatures between below 0 and 10 Celsius. We generally get around the teens in the spring and summer and it can shoot up to high 20s at times. It may seem cold compared to what you're used to but honestly you get used to it! I hate the cold but I've adapted to northern weather and it's seriously not that bad. Plus on sunny days you're just a bus ride away from beaches!

I hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions I will try my best to answer them!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Truelies18)
    Hey guys, so I'm in a fix and I need some help. I have offers from both Newcastle upon Tyne and Loughborough university for undergrad Media and Communication. (well in Newcastle its Combined honours but thats the subject I'll choose). I'm confused regarding which one to firm.

I'm an Indian so I'd like the place to have good cultural diversity. Apart from that if anyone can tell me how the course is? the lectures? opportunities for creativity? the atmosphere? the night life? also the weather (I'm a litttle cold intolerant so) is it too cold throughout the year? is a closed campus better or an open campus? hows the food (I am hoping to get a catered accomodation) ? hows the room?

Literally anything you can tell me which will help me decide which uni to choose.
    Hi Truelies18

Great to hear you've got offers from Newcastle and Loughborough.
    In terms of diversity at Lougborough we have over 2,000 international students from 150 countries here on campus. We're a single-site campus uni, so everything is on one site including accommodation - which is really handy and we have a great community here on campus with a lot to do all year round. Have a look here for an idea https://www.lsu.co.uk/getinvolved/societies/
    On the flip side of that though, Loughborough is a town -so you'll get a much more diverse nightlife in Newcastle as yeahthatonethere pointed out. We're close to Nottingham and Leicester cities which are only 15 mins or so away - but they are not on your doorstep so to speak.
    Our weather down here is generally warmer that Newcastle - but right now everywhere is cold!

The easiest staring point for you as you can't come and visit would be to compare the courses in detail. See which offers you the options that will take you down the career pathway you want.
    We've been ranked 39th in the world for Communication and media studies and rated the best sports uni in the world by QS World uni rankings, so we're pretty much up there in what we do.

However - you have to make a decision based on which course suits you the best and where you think you will be happy. It's a tough call.
    Good luck with your decision
    Vicky

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.