Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I have tried many techniques with my revision but none of the techniques I have tried seem to work for me? Any techniques I could try?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Phelpseygirl)
    Hi all, I have tried many techniques with my revision but none of the techniques I have tried seem to work for me? Any techniques I could try?
    One way or another you need a decent set of revision notes. Those ore condensed notes that let you get through the key points quickly. If you have not made any or think you now dont have time, then you should get a revision notes book.

The aim is to master the core material. In addition you can use mindmaps, flash cards and watch videos.

The second phase is to practice exam questions. Get all the past papers and mark schemes then just practice them. See where you lost marks and improve by putting the extra bits in to get the higher grade. use the mark schemes plus any revision books. If its something you dont understand then go back to your revision notes and refresh your understanding of the subject.

You need a revision timetable to jeep you on track to make sure you cover all subjects read for when the exams come round.

ReputationRep:
    The 4 types of learners are visual, auditory, reading/writing and kinaesthetic. Which one are you?

ReputationRep:
    Try and take on the information in a range of different ways. Watch youtube videos on a topic, read the text book, listen to podcasts, find resources and diagrams on line explaining it. This variety will mean you both understand and remember it much better

ReputationRep:
    Here's a list

Mind mapping
    Spider charts
    Cheat sheets
    Flash cards
    Roman Room method
    Loci method
    Journey method
    Visulisation
    Parrot fashion
    Acronyms
    Poems/Rhyming
    Lyrics
    Dance movements
    Walking while reciting
    Listening to Baroque classic music
    Using aromatherapy - I think its Rosemary or Lavender smell that helps remember
    Wearing motivational clothes
    Sitting in a desk - you need to make it as close to the exam conditions as possible.
    Teach it to someone else
    Use wasted time - revise while waiting for a bus etc
    Mobile apps
    Plan presentations on the subjects although you wont be doing them - unless to the family or pet.
    For things like maths - practice, practice, practice
    Past papers
    Body association - ie using the hands to do multiplication
    Symbol association - make pictures of things you need to remember - ie 1= Eiffel Tower, 2 Twin Towers etc
    Post it notes round the house
    Revise before sleeping
    Use a schedule for revision
    Now how long it is to the exam - use a diary
    Revision every day
    20 minutes revision with 5 minute break doing something active
    Go over class 5 minutes, 1 hr, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and 6 months after class to get it into long term memory
    Revise in 5-7 bits as the brain can only keep up to 9 bits at a time before forgetting.
    Use lots of colour and symbols.
    Visualise you have passed the exams at the highest feasible possible grade.

Then practice things linked to it
    Drink plenty of water -dehydration effects the memory
    Eat nutritionally well to help the brain function
    Exercise to de-stress
    Get 7 hours a sleep a night
    Get it into proportion/set your standards- doing the extra bit now until June and then have fun afterwards.Your job is to study now, not having parties.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiSeneca)
    Try and take on the information in a range of different ways. Watch youtube videos on a topic, read the text book, listen to podcasts, find resources and diagrams on line explaining it. This variety will mean you both understand and remember it much better
    Thank you will definately try some of these techniques

ReputationRep:
    Diffinatley really helpful! thankyou, will use some of these techniques definatley.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.